Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 May 2011, 09:14 (Ref:2879181)   #1
BHF Revival
Rookie

England
Not a million miles from Corum Curve
BHF Revival should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British Heart Foundation - Snetterton who remembers?

Morning all,

Just wondered if there is anyone here who remember's the British Heart Foundation days at Snetterton?

Anyone drive the cars?

Would like to hear your views on the event, what was great what could have been better.

Cheers

Kev
Old 12 May 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2879243)   #2
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember then well - had the pleasure of a trip around with the great Gerry Marshall in Morgan - still not recovered
Old 12 May 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2879284)   #3
Doblo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norfolk
Doblo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Heard a whisper that its could be back on this year......
Old 12 May 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2879470)   #4
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got copies of Motoring News from 1986-1990. I remember they covered it in detail especially with Andy Rouse (I think) bringing out his BTCC RS500 Cosworth to entertain journos, the public and the people from the charity.
Old 12 May 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2879489)   #5
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblo View Post
Never heard anything about it, have a great personal interest and would like to contribute if it comes about.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 12 May 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2879501)   #6
BHF Revival
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblo View Post

hmmmmmm...could be.. got to wait to hear back from Admin first before mentioning anything...

Kev
Old 12 May 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2879504)   #7
BHF Revival
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy100 View Post
Remember then well - had the pleasure of a trip around with the great Gerry Marshall in Morgan - still not recovered
If only there was a chance of having Gerry and Baby Bertha at the event again...
Old 12 May 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2879572)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
In 1988 (or possibly 1987) I volunteered my 205 GTI tarmac rally car for rides. It was at the budget end of the scale, obviously, but still good fun for those not able to get or afford a ride in the quick stuff.

Seem to remember my involvement being via Sporting Car Club of Norfolk, who perhaps helped with manpower at the event?

There were certainly some good cars and popular drivers like GM involved, and the event was well supported by the Motorsport press.

Not sure if I can scrape any more from the old memory banks but will have a go!
Old 12 May 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2879586)   #9
BHF Revival
Rookie

England
Mike,

I can now (thanks Adam) mention that I am part of a team who are reviving the event this year.

The date will be Saturday 26th November at Snetterton.

I have placed a thread in the Racers forum with more details. Following the form of the previous events, we will be offering varied price ranges/groups to enable as many people to experience the noise, smell and presence of these vehicles.

If anyone has any questions or would like more info (or volunteer) then drop me a PM or email me at

rmhc@kfoleyltd.co.uk

Kev Foley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
In 1988 (or possibly 1987) I volunteered my 205 GTI tarmac rally car for rides. It was at the budget end of the scale, obviously, but still good fun for those not able to get or afford a ride in the quick stuff.

Seem to remember my involvement being via Sporting Car Club of Norfolk, who perhaps helped with manpower at the event?

There were certainly some good cars and popular drivers like GM involved, and the event was well supported by the Motorsport press.

Not sure if I can scrape any more from the old memory banks but will have a go!
Old 12 May 2011, 21:07 (Ref:2879605)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good luck with the event! Keep us updated.
Old 13 May 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2879744)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah,they were the days! Did two years running with my MGB,second year there was a line of Marshalls queuing for a run-out,then the gearbox let go!
Excellent way of giving a little back though.
Old 13 May 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2880078)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I did it for a few years, but as I haven't got any battery charging devises fitted I had to keep the engine running between the change over of passengers and also as I have no cooling fan they were strapped in pretty fast .
I remember one lady passenger asked me to slow down as she was going to be sick ! This was on the first lap going down the back straight
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 May 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2881862)   #13
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Nick Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes certainly great events & sadly missed,i did 2 or 3 around 1995-97ish.
I remember one time a chap was strapped in my car having donated his £10,just as
i was ready to move off up the pitlane he said in a concerned voice `your not going to go fast are you?`. I replied,well what have you paid for matey?,or words to that effect!With that i gunned it up to Riches latching on to Ralph Underwoods SD1 V8
who raced with me in Toyo Super Road Saloons.Well we knew each other from a few seasons racing together and proceeded to have a good old Rover vs Capri
dust-up for whatever the quota of laps were.We passed each other plenty of times and other cars around us,one particular move i favour at Snetterton,the around the outside into the first part of the Esses amongst many!
The passengers reaction was stark terror,dumbfounded silence,he virtually fell out of the car when the Marshalls opened the door after his run.Happy times,hope it comes back.
Old 17 May 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2881903)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
At least the passengers had a seat and a belt !
Skid Scarborough and I drove people round Spa at a fair rate of knots just sitting on cushions on the floor and hanging onto our roll cages, health n safety
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Jun 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2889590)   #15
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've also been involved in this, in 86 we used a Lola sports 2000 chassis which had been converted to race in the Thundersports Series. I drove the car for several hours without any mishaps fortunately.It was later decided that cars such as this were not allowed, they had to have roofs or full cages to be eligble. A great pity as it gave the passengers a real sensation of a proper race car, I took my wfe and mechanics out and the factor that really impressed all of them was the braking capability when arriving at the Esses at about 145mph.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 20:32 (Ref:2889611)   #16
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Pomfret View Post
A great pity as it gave the passengers a real sensation of a proper race car, I took my wfe and mechanics out and the factor that really impressed all of them was the braking capability when arriving at the Esses at about 145mph.
That'd certainly get my wife's attention... You sure I couldn't coax you out to do it one more time Barry?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 08:04 (Ref:2894095)   #17
BHF Revival
Rookie

England
Well guys,

Started another thread with more information regarding The Revival on 26th November 2011.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128276

Hope to see some of you on the day......

Kev
Old 13 Jun 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2898292)   #18
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
That'd certainly get my wife's attention... You sure I couldn't coax you out to do it one more time Barry?
Sadly it was not my car, I just drove it for the owner (Del Bennett), not even sure where it is these days, probably converted back to Sports 2000 spec. I have contacted Kevin with some ideas regarding the "Supercar" possibility.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2898296)   #19
Barry Pomfret
Racer

British Heart Foundation Day 1986, this is a much younger me driving the Lola.
Attached Thumbnails
img009_1.jpg   img011_1.jpg   img015_1.jpg  

Old 15 Jun 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2899544)   #20
BHF Revival
Rookie

England
Thanks Barry. We will be in contact, if Danny hasn't done so sooner.

Those pictures look great. If we can offer something like that I am sure the day will be a success.

Kevin
Old 22 Jun 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2904277)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All being well,I'll bring a GR 2 Capri along [if thats OK]
Old 19 Jul 2011, 11:21 (Ref:2928508)   #22
BHF Revival
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
All being well,I'll bring a GR 2 Capri along [if thats OK]
That would be awesome....

Had a very good meeting with Jamie the circuit manager and ClubMSV.

Date has been set in concrete for Saturday 26th November so we now need to gather names and details for all those who would like to volunteer their services. Whether it's drivers with cars, marshals, stewards, all are needed and would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks and if there is anywhere else you think I should be posting, please let me know.

Thanks again

Kev
Old 20 Jul 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2929067)   #23
Les Dalton
Rookie

France
Chez Jeanmet Charmant 16320 France
Les Dalton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British Heart Foundation Meetings at Snet

Bon Jour all,
There used to be about 15 of the lads that competed in the National BMW saloon car championships that went to the Heart foundation meeting every year.
The last one I went to was in 1997 (the year the Tranny van was there with the F1 running gear!!!)
I had a young lady in the car for one run, and passing a 911 down the Revet straight she started moaning and sliding down in her seat, that WAS a bit different.
The best run of the day for me personally, was when I took a marshal out who had stood at Riches just about every weekend for the last 15 years, and said he had always wondered what it would be like to go around HIS corner quickly, needless to say, he touched my heart, because without these unsung hero's, we would not get to race, suffice to say he got a very exciting 30 minute session for his tenner.
Good to see that it is back, it is a tremendous day that brings a lot of fun, and a huge financial benefit to those that need it.
regards from France,
Les Dalton.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 23:00 (Ref:2967755)   #24
racemech
Rookie

United Kingdom
racemech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread brings back some fond memories for me, looking at the pics, I remember the guy in glasses, Chris? His surname escapes me though, was one of the mechanics on the car at that time.If I recall, he was a teacher by profession, nice guy. He loaned us some lights at Oulton , when we had an "all- nighter" there once.Would be intersted if he is still around, and glad to see the event back on the Calender again. Did several years working with Skid Scabrorough, and later with Abbott Racing, good times.