Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jul 2011, 01:49 (Ref:2928354)   #51
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Unfortunately I remember Roger Williamson's accident all too well but that was down to fuel tank/chassis design; his car wouldn't have caught fire in the first place, after hitting the Armco.
All that is true BJ but the only thing that needed to happen was that he had to be released from under the car!
If the marshalls had had a crowbar they could have moved the car. If the marshalls had helped Purley in time, if the police had let the crowd help Purley, if the car could have have lifted itself off him as proposed above.

The outcome would not have been so distressingly tragic for all concerned.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 01:54 (Ref:2928355)   #52
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
All that is true BJ but the only thing that needed to happen was that he had to be released from under the car!
If the marshalls had had a crowbar they could have moved the car. If the marshalls had helped Purley in time, if the police had let the crowd help Purley, if the car could have have lifted itself off him as proposed above.

The outcome would not have been so distressingly tragic for all concerned.
But the cars in those days didn't have a roll bar that was worth anything. Since then, how many drivers have walked away, particularly at ovals.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 02:03 (Ref:2928359)   #53
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
But the cars in those days didn't have a roll bar that was worth anything. Since then, how many drivers have walked away, particularly at ovals.
Williamson's roll bar did the business, he was unhurt, he talked to Purley, he just could not escape from under the car which was burning.

Anything that would aid extraction has to be good. Doesn't it?
Old 19 Jul 2011, 02:17 (Ref:2928365)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Williamson's roll bar did the business, he was unhurt, he talked to Purley, he just could not escape from under the car which was burning.

Anything that would aid extraction has to be good. Doesn't it?
Of course it has to be but if the roll bar didn't fail, the problem was down to the chassis/fuel tank design.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 02:41 (Ref:2928369)   #55
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Of course it has to be but if the roll bar didn't fail, the problem was down to the chassis/fuel tank design.
In fairness the car had suffered major trauma by the time it stopped upside down, and had done its bit by keeping the driver alive and relatively uninjured. He was not trapped in the car so much as under it.
At that point extricating him from the car was the problem which should have been performed by the marshalls and rescue personell .........

In my book the problem was that he couldn't get out, go and stand on the other side of the armco, and watch the damn thing burn.

Last edited by wnut; 19 Jul 2011 at 02:50.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 08:24 (Ref:2928446)   #56
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks mate.

Never seen a picture of the car actually running before.

This from within the article was good too

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/07/2...n-improvement/

interesting to see Fittipaldi advocating canopies 15 years ago.
Now you mention it, I seem to remember Fittipaldi saying something on the subject.
I also remember seeing some artists impressions in a 1970's car magazine showing various F1 cars with full canopies as a nod to, at the time, future possible developments.

P
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2928537)   #57
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Open wheel car concept (2008) that pursues safety designed by JMIA (Japan Motorracing Industry Association).
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2928539)   #58
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Awesome! I really like that.

It looks like an 80's car. Really cool.

Selby
Old 19 Jul 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2928751)   #59
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's certainly a good looking design, I assume it's mainly a ground effect based aero package from the look at it (?). The only thing is that thing in front of the driver's head in terms of vision, I think a proper jet canopy thing would probably be better all round. Call me silly, but I suppose if you could fit headlights on those things night races might be easier, which could have some advantages in heavy rain for example.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2928756)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That reminds me of the March 84C; here's a pic of Rick Mears standing in one, in Super Speedway trim.

Old 20 Jul 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2928772)   #61
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
This concept was for FCJ (Formula Challenge Japan). However, this proposal was not adopted. The chassis of Formula Renault is used now.

<SPEC>
Wheel Base: 2600mm
Front Tread: 1450mm
Rear Tread :1400mm
Weight: 460kg
G.C Height: 280mm
Monocoque: Carbon composites + Aluminum honeycomb
NoseBox: Carbon composites + Aluminum honeycomb
Body Work: CFRP
Under Tray: Stepped bottom + Diffuser
Wing: (Fr/Rr)Carbon composites(adjustable)
Suspension: (Fr/Rr) Double wishbone + Push rod, lnboard damper / SpringDamper2way adjustable
Brake: 4pod caliper + Ventilated discTyre / WheelFCJ tyre + Aluminum cast wheel
Transmission: Hewland JFR 5 speed sequential
Engine: 2lt、4 cylinder in line, Dry sump.(Power: up to 250hp. Torque: 25kg-m)
Safety: Conformity to FIA Latest F-3 standard + α, Side intrusion test
Extractable seats (Optional), Double belt system, Footbox protection
etc.
Data Logger: New generation Wireless logging system (Optional)
Old 20 Jul 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2928939)   #62
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like that Japanese concept. Would have no qualms if F1 adopted it. Cant imagine they would ever agree to such a radical change mind.

While im here, Redbulls "unlimited regs" concept

Old 20 Jul 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2929021)   #63
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In r acecar engineering a few years back, they did a unlimited refs
It had two axles in backs for 4 tires one up front and a trim tab front wing and all sorts of magic undertray.. I can't remeber the issue, itwas ugly and WilliamsF1 liveried.
A fighter cockpit isn't terrible but open wheel and open cockpit like many prototypes look better with the struggling driver available. Afterall great cars are worn as extensions and suiits for the driver, they don't just sit inside.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 16:00 (Ref:2929044)   #64
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Luke, I think I'll take an Alpine-Renault A442 or A443 over that thing.

Cars can still catch fire, so I would NOT want an air bottle in close proximity to the driver. And if a driver is truly incapacitated, even if they've just been knocked out temporarily, the rescue teams will take several minutes to winch an enclosed car back upright, to make sure they do NOT potentially injure the driver. Even if the car is upright, it's been common practice for decades to cut the roof off of a car to extract a driver who appears to be in need of assistance. So, an automatic device that would roll the car back over suddenly I am unabashedly opposed to. That is a job specifically for the rescue crews, to be performed in a very carefully controlled manner.

And yes, talking about putting a canopy as a safety device on a car that has nil structural integrity in the first place is REALLY putting the cart before the horse!

There's a video of Stirling Moss driving a 1959 Cooper Climax at Donington on YouTube, and he makes a very telling comment about the relative strength of cars of then and now. And taking into account that structural rigidity didn't start to improve markedly until the latter part of the 1970s, or early 1980s, the relative rigidity of F1 cars has increased by 40x or so in the last 30-35 years.

Back to the topic at hand, with all the belts and restraints, a driver is often relatively incapacitated if his car is upside down. He may hardly be able to move at all, and the way the human brain is wired, we become disoriented, at least to some extent, when held in a non-upright position. So he may be unable to properly manipulate a manual canopy release while upside down, and if there is concern of a back or neck injury in particular, you do NOT want an automatic release.

Besides, if a small enough object, with enough mass, and going fast enough encounters the canopy, it will punch a hole in it. I think the spring that hit Massa could well be such an object, even with a canopy in place. And you can't make the canopy too think ,or it impacts visibility by being less trnasparent, and may act as a lens/prism, distorting a driver's depth perception.

At the end of the day, I think the canopy adds FAR more complications than it's worth for the EXTREMELY FEW injuries it might minimize or eliminate.

Last edited by Purist; 20 Jul 2011 at 16:11.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2929099)   #65
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The post was in response to this bit of gttouring's post

"i can't think of many World of Outlaw or Midget/ sprint USAC silver crown head accidents from debris, and someone goes end over end in every race."

I was merely eluding to the fact that Sprint car racing is not a bastion of good practice in racing safety, do in fact have full roll cages around the drivers, and still does injure and kill a lot of drivers.

Go here

http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/index.php?db=ct

and search for Sprint Car fatalities. 27 Fatalities since 2000.
I have no idea how many injuries.
Sorry it did not come through I was a bit tonguein cheek, these carsare built to this standard in an insane racing series and itstill does little better than decades ago. A canopy in F1 wont help much from flips or as stated from smallerobjects piercing thru. There can be a compromise here. But birthed is the actual solution
Old 20 Jul 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2929207)   #66
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
I really like that Japanese concept. Would have no qualms if F1 adopted it. Cant imagine they would ever agree to such a radical change mind.

While im here, Redbulls "unlimited regs" concept

Thanks luke 28, again I had not seen a picture of this car, it looks awesome, has anyone got any more; perhaps side and top views.
It looks perfectly acceptable - no tinting allowed!

Even in a roll over situation a canopy would dissapate a hell of a lot more energy than a human neck or crash helmet.

The argument against an the Brawn spring piercing the canopy are not accurate.
If you look at the damage to Massa's helmet and then imagine the above canopy made out of automotive laminated shatterproof safety glass and bearing in mind it has about an 10 degree angle of inclination to the approaching spring, it would certainly deflect the spring clear of the driver.
Even if it did penetrate; chance very low; the energy would have been massively dissipated, and the helmet would then have done its job.

In a roll over situation a canopy would dissapate a hell of a lot more energy than a human neck or crash helmeted head. Bear in mind the 10 degree angle compared to the nearly 90 degree of the front of the helmet to an approaching object.
Deflection is all you need!

Last edited by wnut; 20 Jul 2011 at 23:29.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2929208)   #67
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Thanks luke 28, again I had not seen a picture of this car, it looks awesome, has anyone got any more; perhaps side and top views.
It looks perfectly acceptable - no tinting allowed!

The argument against an the Brawn spring piercing the canopy are not accurate.
If you look at the damage to Massa's helmet and then imagine the above canopy made out of automotive laminated shatterproof safety glass and bearing in mind it has about an 10 degree angle of inclination to the approaching spring, it would certainly deflect the spring clear of the driver.
Even if it did penetrate; chance very low; the energy would have been massively dissipated, and the helmet would then have done its job.
Looks like Red Bull got to gether with Lockheed and produced something from Lockheed's Skunkworks peojects; would look good at Indy, better than the new Dallara. I could see Lola designing something like this.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 23:43 (Ref:2929216)   #68
wnut
Veteran

http://www.gtplanet.net/red-bull-x1-...o-screenshots/

Some Pics concept below
Old 20 Jul 2011, 23:48 (Ref:2929218)   #69
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Looks like Red Bull got to gether with Lockheed and produced something from Lockheed's Skunkworks peojects; would look good at Indy, better than the new Dallara. I could see Lola designing something like this.
Looks well worth exploring to me.
For years I have advocated frontal protection for drivers, and this quite honestly seems like a concept that should be explored, and it would apparently look high tech and just plain awesome. Lockheed should know a bit about canopies by now you'd hope. Technology transfer!
Old 20 Jul 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2929219)   #70
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
All I'm going to say here is this. "F1 cars should be cars that have models made of them, NOT cars that are modeled after BAD, "futuristic-styled" Hot Wheels toys."
Old 20 Jul 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2929220)   #71
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
All I'm going to say here is this. "F1 cars should be cars that have models made of them, NOT cars that are modeled after BAD, "futuristic-styled" Hot Wheels toys."
Its worth than that they are computer simulations from a game,
F1 would never use that type of technology
Old 21 Jul 2011, 00:07 (Ref:2929222)   #72
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Its worth than that they are computer simulations from a game,
F1 would never use that type of technology
rFactor spings to mind.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2929359)   #73
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
And there I was mistakenly thinking that F1 was the pinnacle of motorsport and that speed via innovative technology was its greatest appeal.

Maybe we need a different series to promote such a thing and F1 can have the cars frozen in the "golden age" they are in now.

F1 needs to move with new tech not oppose it at every opportunity. Its supposed to be pioneering not a throw back to what you used to watch. I like the Red bull concept for what it stands for. If it has to look like that to be the fastest around a track then great. If another team can make one that goes as fast following the current regs then all power to them but im more interested in performance and innovation than looks.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 11:14 (Ref:2929378)   #74
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I prefer the FCJ concept, I'd rather the cars had open wheels from the top, but the design around the front wing does look good. I'm torn on the lights issue, they do have some advantages but do make the cars a bit more prototypey.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2929575)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
I prefer the FCJ concept, I'd rather the cars had open wheels from the top, but the design around the front wing does look good. I'm torn on the lights issue, they do have some advantages but do make the cars a bit more prototypey.
It certainly has the touch of the LMPs about it.