Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 12 Aug 2014, 14:44 (Ref:3443703)   #76
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Sadly, NASCAR and other bodies have "criminalized" setting things mono e mono in the garage and such, while in actuality using any on or off track incident to spice up the show because controversy sells. Helmet throwing or gesturing at a guy on track will get you nothing, while, for example, Marcos Ambrose and Casey Mears got fined $25 grand and $15 grand respectively for doing the "better" option and having a fist fight in the garage at Richmond this year. Sadly, such a boxing match would be a safer option than getting close to race cars even when they're going pit speed.

To be honest, on that end, I can't blame people claiming that such things make out the sport to be the WWE at best, and a place where hot heads and really do some stupid stuff and really hurt someone or themselves, or worse, at worst.
Old 12 Aug 2014, 15:07 (Ref:3443708)   #77
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly, this type of out-of-car confrontation is not unique to the US. Martin Schanche did a similar thing in rallycross back in 1992, survived, and got a ban that almost finished his career. And didn't James Hunt try to do something similar at Monaco, albeit close to the barriers...

I feel sorry for Tony Stewart. Whatever he intended I'm sure he didn't intend to hit Kevin.

For me they should show this video at every rookie drivers' orientation programme or ARDS course. It might help make this 'confrontation' nonsense stop.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 00:25 (Ref:3443834)   #78
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Sadly, this type of out-of-car confrontation is not unique to the US. Martin Schanche did a similar thing in rallycross back in 1992, survived, and got a ban that almost finished his career. And didn't James Hunt try to do something similar at Monaco, albeit close to the barriers...

I feel sorry for Tony Stewart. Whatever he intended I'm sure he didn't intend to hit Kevin.

For me they should show this video at every rookie drivers' orientation programme or ARDS course. It might help make this 'confrontation' nonsense stop.
Schanche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9QPLYcrmsQ

UNREAL!

"I feel sorry for Tony Stewart. Whatever he intended I'm sure he didn't intend to hit Kevin."
Me too, I don't believe Stewart even saw Ward, Stewart was following close behind and further out than the car in front of him, which swerved to miss Ward, and Stewart's attention would have been focused on the rear of the car in front, and then it was dark the lighting was patchy and Ward was dressed in black and where he clearly should never have been!

Sadly, Stewart had no chance imo!
Old 13 Aug 2014, 07:24 (Ref:3443880)   #79
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember that Martin Schanche incident. He ought to have been given a lifetime ban from motor sport for what he did there.
Old 15 Aug 2014, 02:27 (Ref:3444400)   #80
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Schanche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9QPLYcrmsQ

UNREAL!

"I feel sorry for Tony Stewart. Whatever he intended I'm sure he didn't intend to hit Kevin."
Me too, I don't believe Stewart even saw Ward, Stewart was following close behind and further out than the car in front of him, which swerved to miss Ward, and Stewart's attention would have been focused on the rear of the car in front, and then it was dark the lighting was patchy and Ward was dressed in black and where he clearly should never have been!

Sadly, Stewart had no chance imo!
If Schanche had gotten hit I can't say I would have felt bad for him at all. Sometimes you can't stop stupid.
Old 15 Aug 2014, 20:48 (Ref:3444553)   #81
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This incident continues to remind me of of the Ricky Rudd/Mike Rich incident in '90. If you don't know, Rudd lost control of his car on pit lane (prior to speed limits) and slid backward into Bill Elliott's car. Mike Rich was the tire changer and was crushed. He died of his injuries the next day.

I read this article last night and while the circumstances were different, I think it's pertinent to the current situation. Not trying to be morbid, but I think it gives us some insight into what Stewart is going through.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...-road-pit-stop
Old 16 Aug 2014, 01:29 (Ref:3444588)   #82
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's the incident that gave us the slower pit speeds.
Before that , it was full speed down pit lane.
Old 22 Aug 2014, 20:12 (Ref:3446339)   #83
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For those unfamiliar with American laws (like me) and want to know what Tony can potentially be charged with, here is an article that provides short, simple explanations.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 06:22 (Ref:3446438)   #84
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
For those unfamiliar with American laws (like me) and want to know what Tony can potentially be charged with, here is an article that provides short, simple explanations.
Very interesting article. It does seem to indicate that the likelihood of Stewart facing criminal charges is remote. It's almost a certainty though that Ward's family will file a civil suit against Stewart.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 03:18 (Ref:3453082)   #85
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...x11&gt1=msnans
Old 14 Sep 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3453254)   #86
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Very interesting article. It does seem to indicate that the likelihood of Stewart facing criminal charges is remote. It's almost a certainty though that Ward's family will file a civil suit against Stewart.
I'm going to gamble and say that criminal charges will probably not happen. If they do happen, I don't believe you'll get 12 jurors to agree on him being guilty, especially once expert testimony is heard.

A civil suit will probably go ahead, but considering that the victim ran at the car putting himself in a position to get run over is probably going to work against them. Most likely to avoid losing entirely both parties will reach a settlement instead.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 14:58 (Ref:3453263)   #87
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I'm going to gamble and say that criminal charges will probably not happen. If they do happen, I don't believe you'll get 12 jurors to agree on him being guilty, especially once expert testimony is heard.

A civil suit will probably go ahead, but considering that the victim ran at the car putting himself in a position to get run over is probably going to work against them. Most likely to avoid losing entirely both parties will reach a settlement instead.
That's probably exactly what will happen.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 15:00 (Ref:3453264)   #88
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm going to gamble and say that criminal charges will probably not happen.
I agree. If the investigation is truly complete, why hold off the announcement for several days?
Old 15 Sep 2014, 04:17 (Ref:3453433)   #89
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From the beginning, I have thought the worst for Tony out of all this would be an out of court settlement to Ward's family and that the general would never really know the extent.

I too expect no criminal charges whatsoever, and have from the onset.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3454112)   #90
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Going to grand jury.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...ent-grand-jury

DA went the easy way out.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 01:07 (Ref:3454140)   #91
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Going to grand jury.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...ent-grand-jury

DA went the easy way out.
Yeah he did but can't fault him for that, IMO. I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole as Mr Mid Size County America DA.

Let the group of 12 angry men decide his fate and wash my hands off it. 'murica.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 09:02 (Ref:3454244)   #92
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
From the beginning, I have thought the worst for Tony out of all this would be an out of court settlement to Ward's family and that the general would never really know the extent.
Wonder how many millions there sons life was worth? Money wont ease the pain will it? Awesome, we can buy lots of materialist bs...
Old 17 Sep 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3454399)   #93
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Wonder how many millions there sons life was worth? Money wont ease the pain will it? Awesome, we can buy lots of materialist bs...
To normal people, life is priceless. In the eye of the courts, there's always a pricetag. And no, you won't ease any pain.

Like the situation itself, it's all very unfortunate.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3457339)   #94
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well..... this case just got thrown out.
Quote:
UPDATE4: A grand jury has decided Tony Stewart will not face charges for his role in the on-track death of sprint car driver Kevin Ward Jr. Prosecutors in upstate New York made the announcement Wednesday, just hours after the grand jury finished hearing testimony in the case. Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo also said Ward was under the influence of marijuana at the time of his death, according to toxicology reports. Tantillo looked at the evidence and could have brought charges or dropped the case himself, but said last week that the matter would be decided by the grand jury. Stewart could have been charged with second-degree manslaughter under New York law, experts said, if prosecutors believed he "recklessly caused the death of another person." Negligent homicide also was another possibility.(ESPN)
This is why such things as drug tests are necessary, even at short tracks like these.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 22:24 (Ref:3457391)   #95
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately it sounds like the Family will pursue this further
Quote:
@JennaFryer

Statement from Ward family as read over phone by sister Kayla Herring:
"Our son got out of his car during caution when the race was suspended. All the other vehicles were reducing speed and not accelerating except for Stewart, who intentionally tried to intimidate Kevin by accelerating and sliding his car toward him, causing the tragedy. The focus should be on the actions of Mr. Stewart. This matter is not at rest and we will pursue all remedies in fairness to Kevin.”
Old 25 Sep 2014, 02:30 (Ref:3457417)   #96
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
All as I suspected, with the exception of the pot.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 03:46 (Ref:3457426)   #97
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
As of today, there is no way to test if someone is currently under the influence of marijuana. So let's squash the DA's statement there...
Old 25 Sep 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3457525)   #98
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
As of today, there is no way to test if someone is currently under the influence of marijuana. So let's squash the DA's statement there...
I read somewhere else that there was enough to "impair" Ward, so the media is using different terms to write their stories, hoping they will sell, but to your point, the toxicology report can only prove it was in his system and nothing else.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3457569)   #99
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
I'd say much of their civil suit is probably in the trash can now.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3457572)   #100
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
I'd say much of their civil suit is probably in the trash can now.
I tend to agree. In its most empirical form Ward did something irrational with traces of marijuana in his system and sadly died as a result. It would be very difficult to convince even a civil court that anyone other than Ward was negligent. I feel for the family though, they were in a very bad place before this and their situation has gotten even worse now.