Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 16 Aug 2011, 23:00 (Ref:2941904)   #1
Revvedup917
Rookie

Revvedup917 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A man and his desire to conquer the hazard perception test

Hello folks

I find myself entrapped in a strange predicament. Here's the story so far

Two bike theory tests done, with no success with the theory part and an all clear on the hazard perception part. This, and a subsequent talk on the impracticality of getting a Ducati in England made me drift towards a car licence.

So I tried my hands at the car test , and the scenario reversed, i.e, I cleared the theory part twice and flunked the hazard part.

Having trained as a driver in a different country , I find myself greatly bedazzled by the British system. Can anyone here give me any pointers as to what I might be doing wrong ?
Old 18 Aug 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2942563)   #2
Revvedup917
Rookie

Revvedup917 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
109 views, and not a single reply. Oh joy of joys !
Old 18 Aug 2011, 16:23 (Ref:2942579)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't explain the theory part since I have never seen the test but my 2 daughters didn't seem to struggle with it though many of their male acquaintances needed more than one attempt.

As for the Hazard Perception part ....

When my eldest was at that point, a few years ago now, I bought the disks with what was than thought to be the publically available simulation of the official HP videos.

I rarely managed a score more than just scraping a pass even when I worked out where the measurement points were, repeated the same ones time after time and 'cheated' with point at which I 'recognised' the hazard.

Sometimes it seemed to be because the hazard I saw was not the one the test was looking for. Sometimes it was because I spotted the hazard too early and the system would not accept the input at that point. (But remember this was early days for HP tests and I was NOT using the official system.)

On a BB I used to frequent I was told a story by a then current Police Advanced driver who was also a qualified private driving instructor that he had had similar experiences and always scored somewhere just around the pass mark. His partner, a non-driver as I recall, tried the unofficial test on a PC after a bottle and a half of wine and scored a high mark - higher than the the fully trained police traffic response driver had ever managed.

Or at least that was the story. He seemed genuine enough and helpful and I had no reason to doubt him.

I suspect that being already an experienced driver is not a help to you for this test, although of course things may have changed over the years and my expereiences might no longer be valid even for the 'public' software.

Quite what that all means for new driver training and road safety I am really not sure.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2942590)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The only time I have done a hazard perception test is when I went to police naughty school after being caught speeding. From what my daughter has told me it's similar to the DSA test, it wasn't easy and I think it's a matter of luck if you pass, I found hazards that the computer didn't agree with and missed ones it wanted and I think I, and everyone else failed miserably. I'd say just have another go, you may be luckier next time.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 10:08 (Ref:2942866)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvedup917 View Post
109 views, and not a single reply. Oh joy of joys !

I think the trouble is too many of us are old gits and didn't have to contend with theory and hazard perception tests.

Rumour has it Mr Falce was driving before they introduced a test of any kind.

I've done a couple of hazard perception tests on PC more recently, but don't know whether they are the same. Sometimes just poor software can make them tricky by requiring you to click the mouse at a very specific point to indicate a wider hazard.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 21:53 (Ref:2943164)   #6
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i did mine about 3 and a bit years ago. got 50/50 on the questions and only just over the pass mark on the hazard perception.

When you failed did you have the score blanked on any of the questions due to clicking too much?

I found the CD rom very useful
Old 20 Aug 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2943471)   #7
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You kind of have to treat it as a kind of weird video game. If I remember rightly they have one actual hazard that they mark in each clip, and you are meant to click as soon as you see it. It was something like 5 points if you clicked almost immediately and then decreases after that. They have those point blocks along the timeline of the video, so if you click whilst within that block, you score that number of points.

Just found this picture which illustrates what I'm trying to say - you can see the video timeline and the blocks I'm talking about at the bottom (which of course you don't see in the actual test):

As for actual tips, the best thing to do is keep practicing. In the actual thing they tend to make the hazards pretty obvious (if it starts with going along a country-lane, just clicking as soon as you see anything usually works).

General rule is only click when you see something where you'd have to take action in real-life (slow-down, brake, turn etc).
Old 20 Aug 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2943486)   #8
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice example dyewat and I agree with your comments.

The unofficial video I experimented with (which in age looks to be about the same as your example judging by the vehicles) often seemed to present more than one hazard and it was not always obvious which was the one they were looking for.

I recall one scenario which involved a turn onto a failry open country road and after a few seconds across a coupld of curves one could see sheep roaming. No surprise - the video clips were filmed in Wales! Swansea as I recall - what a coincidence!

Anyway I discovered I was socring zero on that one and could not work out why. Obvious possible hazard that could be seen well in advance. And that was the problem. Clicking too early meant you got no score at all.

I repeated that one many times and clicked at different points and finally realised that the assessment point in use (remember - these were not the official videos but something attempting to replicate how the whole thing might come across) was a lot later than I would have expected. As I recall the proximity of a flock of sheep was not an issue and not was one of the sheep movingonm to the road seemingly the hazard sought for marking. However when the sheep stayed on the road and the car was close enough to need to brake - THEN was the point the marks count down started.

Now the problem is that they also mark you down if you click too often so you can't just click constantly and expect to get away with it. So if you are just a tad early - too observant - for the 5 mark score the chances are you will not click again until the 3 or even 2 mark score point.

Being observant and drunk might just slow responses enough to get top marks - as my Traffic Policeman correspondent's partner's result (see previous post) seemed to suggest.

Not that I am suggesting it's a good idea but I presume that there is nothing to stop you doing the HP test when under the influence ...?
Old 21 Aug 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2943612)   #9
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems to me from massive experience of doing two such tests that they lean excessively on single events.
This one: http://www.theory-test.co.uk/asp/hpt_flashdisplay.asp
shows a car driving down a narrow urban street. Several hazards present themselves, turnings, cars in the opposite direction, pedestrians that might be school kids (pack on back).
Then someone comes out of a house, crosses the road, opens the door of a car on the oppouiste side, gets in and pulls out in front of you. Each of those items gets one hazard point! And none of the others! The first, coming out of the house, is almost invisible - you really need to wtach it again, in the knowledge of what is going to happen, to see it.

The second on that site is similar, lots of potential hazards, until a biker comes out of a turning in front of you and a van pulls out, nearly hitting the bike and causing them to swerve in front of you. Can't be arsed to go through it again, but I bet all the the points are concentrated there, with none for any of the roundabout, truning, parked cars, skips in road etc.etc. that should be listed.

As usual, you need to to learn the syle of the test - buy the video and practice!

JOhn(No connection with video vendor!)
Old 29 Aug 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2947586)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post

I think the trouble is too many of us are old gits and didn't have to contend with theory and hazard perception tests.

I got my licence through the post with no trouble, it was like applying for a dog licence mind you somebody had to walk in front of me with a flag at first !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !