Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 22 Aug 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2944377)   #1
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2012 IndyCar silly season

It's almost september and I think it's time to open the 2012 IndyCar silly season thread. Here is a summary of the situation at the moment, with a mix of sure situations and rumors:

Full time:
3 Chip Ganassi Racing (Honda): Franchitti, Dixon, Rahal
3 Team Penske (Chevrolet): Castroneves, Power, Briscoe
3/4 Andretti Autosport (Chevrolet???): Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Conway, Wilson???
3 KV Racing Technology (Honda??): Viso, Sato, Servia???
2??? Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (???): Wilson??? Beatriz??? Pagenaud??? Pantano???
1/2 Dale Coyne Racing (???): ???
1/2 Conquest Racing (Lotus???): ???
1/2 Sam Schmidt Motorsports (Honda): Tagliani??? Pagenaud??? Newgarden??? Cunningham???
1 Panther Racing (Chevrolet???): Hildebrand
1 A.J. Foyt Enterprises (Honda): Meira
1 HVM Racing (Lotus???): De Silvestro
1 Newman Haas Racing (Lotus???): Kanaan??? Hinchcliffe???
1 Wayne Taylor Racing (Chevrolet???): R.Taylor???
1 Dragon Racing (???): Tung???

Part time:
1 Sarah Fisher Racing (Honda???): Carpenter (only ovals)
1 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (???): Mann???
1 Bryan Herta Autosport (Honda???): Wheldon (only Indy)
1 SH Racing (???): Scheckter
1 AFS Racing (???): Plowman???

Possible drivers:
Baguette, Matos, Tracy, Kimball, Saavedra, Jakes, Bourdais, Howard, Bell, Junqueira, Senna, Hulkenberg

Last edited by marcostraz; 22 Aug 2011 at 20:37.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2944401)   #2
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't be so sure about three cars at Penske, or with those three drivers.

Conway's not confirmed back at Andretti, we'll see.

I expect KV down to two cars. Engine politics mostly.

Wheldon's making a lot of noise about full-time in 2012. A lot of teams he's talking to.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 03:38 (Ref:2944506)   #3
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andretti Autosport will only be a 2 car team next year..

Marco Andretti and Ryan Hunter-Reay
Old 23 Aug 2011, 07:08 (Ref:2944542)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Don't be so sure about three cars at Penske, or with those three drivers.
It'd probably depend on the car count as much as sponsorship, if the car count is low Penske would probably be persuaded to keep running three irrespective of if fulltime sponsors are found for #3 and #6
Old 23 Aug 2011, 07:29 (Ref:2944548)   #5
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
Andretti Autosport (Chevrolet???): Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Conway, Wilson???
In the past Robert Doornbos gave a Dutch site that he intends to negotiate with next year's IndyCar contract Andretti Autosport with.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2944573)   #6
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
In the past Robert Doornbos gave a Dutch site that he intends to negotiate with next year's IndyCar contract Andretti Autosport with.
That would fantatsic!
Old 23 Aug 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2944718)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
It's the economy! It's just sponsors accepting proposals of teams and/or drivers. We never know until St Pete. Anyway, I'll take my seat here.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2945042)   #8
marcostraz
Veteran

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...to-take-shape/

The GrandAm team that would be in the series next season colud be Michael Shank Racing...
Old 24 Aug 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2945054)   #9
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
It's the economy! It's just sponsors accepting proposals of teams and/or drivers. We never know until St Pete. Anyway, I'll take my seat here.
This, TK didn't have a ride until 5 days before the start of the season.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 11:11 (Ref:2945068)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All the teams that could trot out an additional car at some events, including Indy, had them as rolling stock for some years... such was the longevity of the current chassis. A total junking of these cars may ensure thin grids at some events, just due to access to bits and pieces to run them. Like tubs. Like aero packages.

Too many cars without a confirmed engine package to be signing too many drivers just yet either I would have thought.

Mr Andretti's squad was previously well-loved by Honda, who gave them preferential treatment and a budget tickle.. but that was in the open competition Danica-era... would that return? Mr Hunter-Reay is game signing for a team without a powerplant... and one that doesnt have a mega sponsor subsidising the not insignificant chassis changeover cost.

KV Racing hasnt exactly fallen over themselves to suggest they might run the new Lotus powerplant either.. the article above suggests from Mr Vasser that they may choose Honda or Chevrolet... With Mr Sato there, I would have said Honda..

Funny how there was a load of chat about Dale Coyne not being able to fund a changeover to the new chassis, but Mr Coyne seems likely to keep Mr Bourdais for a full program, including ovals. (A shame actually, Mr Bourdais would have been brilliant in a V8Supercar for 2012...). Would they follow the Penske example and do a deal with Chevrolet?

While Sarah Fisher Racing is in a similar boat... Chevrolet too?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Aug 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2945069)   #11
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Would love to see Sebastian full time in IndyCar :-)
Old 28 Aug 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2947237)   #12
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Andretti's squad was previously well-loved by Honda, who gave them preferential treatment and a budget tickle.. but that was in the open competition Danica-era... would that return? Mr Hunter-Reay is game signing for a team without a powerplant... and one that doesnt have a mega sponsor subsidising the not insignificant chassis changeover cost.

KV Racing hasnt exactly fallen over themselves to suggest they might run the new Lotus powerplant either.. the article above suggests from Mr Vasser that they may choose Honda or Chevrolet... With Mr Sato there, I would have said Honda..

Funny how there was a load of chat about Dale Coyne not being able to fund a changeover to the new chassis, but Mr Coyne seems likely to keep Mr Bourdais for a full program, including ovals. (A shame actually, Mr Bourdais would have been brilliant in a V8Supercar for 2012...). Would they follow the Penske example and do a deal with Chevrolet?

While Sarah Fisher Racing is in a similar boat... Chevrolet too?
Andretti's Honda support slowly left, and if he's running four cars, he's going to have a tough time convincing either supplier to take up 40% of their spots with just his team unless he can really ensure they'll be competitive. It's almost a foregone conclusion they're going to Chevrolet, though.

KV won't run the Lotus. Lotus chose Judd over Kalkhoven's Cosworth. They weren't getting much money from them, anyway, and Lotus are just going to get whatever is left over. No one will sign up for them willingly. I can see KV down to two cars, though, as they're likely to run the Cosworth engine in 2013 (whether it has a FIAT/Alfa Romeo/Dodge/Chrysler badge or a Ford one...but I'm pretty sure the Ford is fantasyland talk), so the suppliers don't really want them just for one year...

Coyne want Chevrolet or Honda, no Lotus...but then again, all teams feel that way. I think if they can sign Bourdais, it makes them seem legitimate enough that suppliers may have more interest.

Sarah Fisher Racing have been legitimately backed by Honda since day one, and there's no way they won't be a Honda team. Fisher and Honda have a very strong relationship. They're likely to be Honda's "eleventh team" on the basis they only run part-time.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2947396)   #13
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
So Kanaan confirmed at KV next year by Vasser and Cavin, though he was trying not to say that on the broadcast not realizing Vasser himself had confirmed it.

Pagenaud's apparently all set to go to Sam Schmidt's team.

Servi* and Telemundo are then retained by Newman/Haas.

Some talk Honda want Castroneves to join Kanaan at KV. That would be huge.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 04:39 (Ref:2947441)   #14
PZippy
Rookie

United States
Park Ridge, Illinois
PZippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope that the revelation of the season, James Hinchcliffe is back. He will be a champion in the series, I am convinced. I am so impressed by the mayor of Hinch-town. He will be rookie of the year, and he missed the first race of the season.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 05:55 (Ref:2947460)   #15
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
And what I say to that is bull****.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 08:32 (Ref:2947493)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RC Cola announced as Marco Andretti's 2012 sponsor

While it seems GoDaddy may be returning to Andretti Autosport, likely on Dan Wheldon's car there Story Here which also confirms KV is Chev-powered..

No sponsor announcements for KV... but I may have thought Mr Kalkhoven may have pitched a Cosworth powerplant for this squad
Old 29 Aug 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2947517)   #17
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Good to see Andretti get a sponser, and Dan in at AA, hmmm, me thinks not. Also very strange to see KV go with Lotus, is this another USF1 for IndyCar style when Lotus isin't on the grid next year?
Old 29 Aug 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2947606)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
IndyCar's new face should be a proper driver, American and young. If GoDaddy wants to back one, they have em at Andretti: Ryan Hunter-Reay. It's no wonder Izod went for him in 2010. He has 5 wins and 12 podiums.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 15:04 (Ref:2947735)   #19
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
And what I say to that is bull****.
No need to be touchy. I didn't report it as fact; there was talk of it happening. Will it happen?

Nope. KV confirmed at Chevrolet today, and likely back with Kanaan and Sato. Third car possible for Viso.

But it was being talked about. Penske have not re-signed Castroneves yet. I don't make things up, and I do my best not to report rumor as fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
Good to see Andretti get a sponser, and Dan in at AA, hmmm, me thinks not. Also very strange to see KV go with Lotus, is this another USF1 for IndyCar style when Lotus isin't on the grid next year?
Lotus may not make the grid, there certainly are doubts, but we'll see.

KV didn't like Lotus going with Judd instead of Cosworth; that's why KV cut ties with them. The Lotus funding was a lot less money than it looks like anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
IndyCar's new face should be a proper driver, American and young. If GoDaddy wants to back one, they have em at Andretti: Ryan Hunter-Reay. It's no wonder Izod went for him in 2010. He has 5 wins and 12 podiums.
The only thing Hunter-Reay is missing? A personality. Most people won't blindly support an American driver just because he's American; his whining and "I'm never to blame" attitude really put a lot of people off. Wheldon, on the other hand, has a great personality. Americans aren't xenophobic, even if the people at TrackForum are. They're a bad representation of the target fan-base. Guys like Wheldon and Power can really sell here. Especially because they're winners, and because Americans like certain accents.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 16:08 (Ref:2947765)   #20
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So Kanaan confirmed at KV next year by Vasser and Cavin, though he was trying not to say that on the broadcast not realizing Vasser himself had confirmed it.

Pagenaud's apparently all set to go to Sam Schmidt's team.

Servi* and Telemundo are then retained by Newman/Haas.

It would be huge for KV Racing merchandise sales at the Sao Paulo round, but I doubt Helio would make much of an impact there. I think Kanaan would still be the fastest driver at KV.

If so, I wonder if Penske will scale back to 2 cars, or perhaps hire a new driver.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2947846)   #21
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Well, if Honda want Castroneves, it's not at KV.

Here's a bit of a team-by-team from things I have heard. I'm not the best-connected by any means (I think I've heard correctly about two things in the past year - Wheldon to BHA and Matos to AFS), and don't pretend to be an expert, so do know that if you haven't heard it being confirmed, it most likely hasn't been. A lot of rumor at this point. Just going in numerical order by 2011 numbers for ease.

Newman/Haas Racing
Engine: Believed to be the Lotus anchor team, with Lotus even buying into the team. They're allegedly desperate enough for a more secure future financially that they are willing to risk a less competitive engine...or one that may not exist. Not sure how you find security in a cloud of doubt, but that's their call.

Drivers: Oriol Servi* and James Hinchcliffe are both believed to be retained. Telemundo is staying with Servi*. Hinchcliffe's money may or may not return, but everyone says he will. Lotus did say they would run Jean Alesi in the 2012 Indy 500; I'd assume (notice this is speculation) the anchor team would be that team, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Plans change.

Team Penske
Engine: Chevrolet

Drivers: Will Power is back with Verizon. Beyond that, nothing else is set for the team. They will definitely have two cars, according to Tim Cindric, but three is their goal. There was talk they would have a satellite team like Ganassi and run two cars on each operation (HVM believed to be the second team), but that's gone somewhat quiet, especially with Chevrolet filling out their lineup of engines. Hélio Castroneves' further legal troubles leave him in some doubt; he himself confirmed he was talking to other teams, and Honda are keen to find more aces with Kanaan lost to Chevrolet and Wheldon potentially in a bowtie-clad Andretti.

Panther Racing
Engine: Believed to be Chevrolet.

Drivers: J.R. Hildebrand is confirmed as returning. I'm pretty sure National Guard were confirmed as well, but not 100% confident in my memory. Single-car operation.

KV Racing Technology
Engine: Chevrolet, confirmed today.

Drivers: Tony Kanaan has been retained. They are close to a deal with Takuma Sato. E.J. Viso would run the third car if there is a third car; they depends on Chevrolet's 10-car supply limit and the renewing of Viso's PDVSA finances.

Andretti Autosport
Engine: Expected to be announced soon as Chevrolet.

Drivers: Marco Andretti will be in the RC Cola car next year (Dr. Pepper/Snapple are the parent, just using a different brand). GoDaddy.com will sponsor a car for 2012 and 2013; Dan Wheldon is a leading candidate to be in that car, but his ties to Honda may hurt his availability. Michael Andretti said there will be 2-4 cars. Ryan Hunter-Reay will be back if they have sponsorship for him. Mike Conway's ride could go to a higher bidder if one is found (Conway brought just $1,000,000 this year).

Dragon Racing
Engine: Honestly haven't heard anything about this.

Drivers: I don't know if they'll even be full-time. There's been so much talk about their changing 2011 plans to even begin to wonder about 2012.

Chip Ganassi Racing
Engine: Honda

Drivers: All four are coming back, and all four are keeping the same sponsors. Chip said so himself.

A.J. Foyt Enterprises

Drivers: Vitor Meira will be back in the 14 ABC Supply car. They want to run a second car, but I don't know how close to reality that actually is. Every team would run more if all the ifs aligned...

Sam Schmidt Motorsports

Drivers: Simon Pagenaud apparently has a deal finalized with SSM to either be in the 17 or 77, particularly due to his support from Honda. The second car is being held for Josef Newgarden if he can get the funding together, which he seems very optimistic about. To add a small comment, a Pagenaud/Newgarden lineup is really exciting to me.

Dale Coyne Racing
Engine: They want Honda or Chevrolet. There's probably more space at the former with KV going Chevrolet, so we'll see...they may still get stuck with Lotus based on reputation alone.

Drivers: Sébastien Bourdais wants to be full-time with Coyne. Damn good record on ovals, even in IROC against the NASCAR boys. Not sure I've heard much about their second car; they may be trying to keep their team down-sized with the new car coming, and hoping that they can convince an engine supplier if they're taking up less slots (i.e. more apt to give up one of the precious ten to Bourdais if they don't have to give up another to the Jakes car).

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
Engine: No talk there. Potentially a Lotus candidate.

Drivers: Funding will play a role. Pantano obviously impressed, and if Wilson takes his money elsewhere (no clue where), you would think he'd be considered. Beatriz should be solid with her Ipiranga backing. I expect a lot of the D&RR stuff will be confirmed later in the game.

RLL Racing
Engine: They'll be part-time as far as Rahal's comments suggest, so we'll have to wait for the full-time teams to get their engine contracts sorted first.

Drivers: They still like Baguette. Depends on money.

Conquest Racing
Engine: Lotus leftovers seem to be the only possibility, assuming they're on the grid.

Drivers: They'll need someone with the funding. Could be Saavedra, could be someone else, could be a rotation of many...

Sarah Fisher Racing
Engine: Expected to announce Honda soon, though I'm not sure if that means they're going full-time or not (I'd be surprised if they did).

Drivers: Ed's had a tough go this year, but he is well-loved by the team, so no reason to end the relationship when they have a chance to be more competitive with the new car. He's certainly one hell of an oval racer. All signs point to him returning.

HVM Racing
Engine: Had been linked to Chevrolet as a Penske satellite team, but this seems less likely now. Could end up Lotus.

Drivers: Simona de Silvestro and Entergy have a contract, and the team confirmed they're getting ready for 2012 with her. They mentioned a second car, too, but this seemed connected to the Penske satellite rumors (i.e. Penske would spin off Briscoe or Castroneves to the team). Without that, I don't see where a second car comes from.

Bryan Herta Autosport
Engine: Would be Honda, if they're there.

Drivers: You'd hope for Wheldon, but he's been linked to a lot of teams elsewhere. Would be a huge shame if BHA, Wheldon, William Rast, CURB, Honda, etc. couldn't be together for a full program. I don't know how you couldn't feel so good for those guys at Indy. Sadly, I don't hear much about them...

Others
Alex Tagliani has Bowers & Wilkins next year, but how much money that really is, and where he'll take it if SSM truly are headed in the Pagenaud/Newgarden direction, I have no idea. Been quiet on that front other than confirmed he had the money, but not a deal at SSM.

Talk about Michael Shank/GAINSCO/Wayne Taylor from Grand-Am. We'll see. Also talk that Jensen MotorSport wanted to buy a 2012 car. And then some that Davey Hamilton would have his own team in some capacity. Highcroft still mentioned, too, but they seem preoccupied. China Racing say they have the budget and all that for next year, and I'm fairly confident they are indeed Greg Beck's team. I guess the Chinese round will help them get it on-track, but still not convinced. Driver-wise, they have mentioned "PJ Jones is a very good driver" through Twitter but I'd laugh quite loudly if they went with him. Cool guy and one of my favorites but would be a seriously WTF moment. I don't know what we'll get in terms of new teams, but interest is there.

Probably some usual suspects at Indy etc. Still cloudy where 33 engine programs come from but I guess they can get enough guys on the short program. Hell, worked for Wheldon this year...
Old 30 Aug 2011, 00:21 (Ref:2948048)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So... what if the Lotus engine isnt the real deal... can the other 2 step up to supply more cars? Or more accurately, do they want to?
Old 31 Aug 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2948944)   #23
marcostraz
Veteran

I think that Castroneves is a sort of Mears of our times...he is tied for many years with Penske and it's a simble, like Mears was in the 80s...I don't see Castroneves out from Team Penske before his retirement...

In my opinion, the best chance to see Alesi qualified in the 2012 Indy 500 is if the next year situation will be similar to the first years of 2000s, with only 33 cars to try the qualifycation and with no (or at least one) bumping...if the situation will be similar to this year, with 6/7 bumped drivers, I think that a driver that is 47 nad is almost 10 years that is retired from racing, and with 0 experience on ovals. has 0 chance to qualify...

About 33 cars for Indy, I thin that the rumor thant said the engine manufacturers want to supply more than 10 engines for next year is intended for the full season...I think that for the Indy 500 they would make an exception...

Pagenaud/Newgarden lineup is exciting also for me, but two rookies (Pagenaud is almost a rookie) in the same, small team?
Old 11 Sep 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2954100)   #24
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Newman/Haas are going the Honda direction. Lotus' offer to buy (into?) the team must not have given Carl Haas much confidence about their security. Lotus' huge expansion into motor racing was shady from the start, and it's not looking really good for them at this point. I just hope we don't see teams like Coyne or HVM get screwed out of having an engine...

...I also don't want to see INDYCAR make some odd ruling for 2013 that the FIAT-branded (could be Dodge, Chrysler, Alfa...all the same) Cosworth allegedly arriving then must be supplied to teams that didn't get a Lotus in 2012. There is zero talk of this provision at all, but it's exactly the kind of thing I'd expect..."oh, manufacture interest, well you have to supply the worst teams on the grid who just sat out a year because we could only supply 20 cars."
Old 14 Sep 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2955287)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Penske not sure... if its 2 or 3..

As suggested earlier in the thread, and confirmed in the article, the capacity of some teams to expand and contract with the wind as they did this year will be limited by stocks of hardware.

Penske apparently has 8 chassis in their shed, and arguably could have fielded maybe 6 of them at any one point, budget not withstanding... next year we may see teams with one car per pilot, and no spares... sounds scary..!!

There is a story in Australian Auto Action today suggesting that Mr Briscoe's slot at Penske may be under threat by a budget shortage, Mr Penske apparently unwilling for Penske Truck Leasing to fund that ride... Where would he go?