Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Jun 2004, 04:22 (Ref:1019685)   #1
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always a Favorite

I have now completely OD'd on the TG, IRL, let's get remarried and live happily ever after crud that seems to be dominating the forum and my brain. So, I just want to start a thread that actually has more to do with racing than not. This weekend we will get to enjoy one of the venues that is a perennial favorite, at least for me. The airport always seems to produce very entertaining racing.

I've never had the chance to see this one in person but I'm trying to get it done for next year. Who's been there?
What's the best place to sit? Any must do's when there? Any pitfalls to avoid? Who's going this year? Is Chris Kneifel coming in his clown suit? Will the push to pass button work on a runway? Any guesses on how many cars will leave the racing surface on in turn 1 lap 1.

Somebody help me please!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 04:59 (Ref:1019697)   #2
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I attending the Cleveland race from the first one up to 1990. Always fun, always a scorcher (though this year should be better due to 5pm start). Any grandstand seat if good from what I remember, but bring some binoculars to see the outer edges of the track clearly. Turn 1 is always a melee, my guess is someone makes a bonzai move that is totally some crazy line 100ft off from everyone else. Jimmy Vasser will probably get mixed up in it somehow (although I wish he didn't).

I think Justin Wilson will be in the mix with Bourdais and Tracy. I suspect Bruno will be there to but is too chicken to make a move on Seabass.

I think Chris Kneifel will be there like he was last year (oh wait that was Ronald McDonald!). Seriously I think we've all given Chris Kneifel the benefit of the doubt, but he should have gone with the rest of the CART last year.

We need a (recent) former champ car driver as chief steward...a straight shooter with respect throughout the paddock. Zanardi comes to mind if only that were possible...sigh.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 06:51 (Ref:1019736)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Like Flatspot mentioned, let's try to keep this thread about the racing at Cleveland! Perhaps someone might start a new one about Chief Stewards?

Cleveland has always been my favourite event on the calendar. (Save MIS). I purposefully booked the day off work, so that I can watch it "live" on TV.

I've never actually been to the event, though. It's a short drive from here, but I've not ventured across the border since 9/11. Perhaps next year? (That's what I said last year). An added bonus to the trip would be the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame.

From what I understand, virtually every grandstand seat allows a view of pretty-much the entire circuit.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 06:59 (Ref:1019741)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cleveland is almost a sure bet to provide some great racing each year. In 2002 it was the best race of the year, IIRC.

Shame I won't get to see it.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 10:36 (Ref:1019877)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cleveland's been a very special event throughout its history, with a great layout and naturally wide track as well as a great atmosphere. If there was to be only one series, this'd be an ideal circuit to use.

Who do you all think will wn? Personally I can see Paul being strong this weekend.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1019951)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cleveland always produces a good race.

I think Wilson will have a strong weekend.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1020039)   #7
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So do I KB. He's got the potential to be the best driver in the series, and a first win may not be far away. Once you consider that he's in a previously midfield team with only 1 year's experience,a dn bourdais is in the top team of recent years taht are still competing, his efforts so far lok at least as good as Seb's last year (not taht Seb isn't a good driver who deserves a go at F1)
Old 29 Jun 2004, 16:19 (Ref:1020269)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Cleveland, circa 1993: Mansell and Tracy exchange position corner after corner, lap after lap.

Cleveland, circa 1995: Villeneuve and Gordon, a surprise winner and two surprise losers. One of the best races in CART's history. Many of you might remember the video I made of that one.

Cleveland, circa 1997: Zanardi pits when they're closed, gets black-flagged again, and wins from the rear of the field.

Cleveland, circa 2004: Bring it on!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1020284)   #9
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish that Pupo was racing.
Mike
Old 29 Jun 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1020291)   #10
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nobody thinks Almendinger will have a good showing? I think he's due for his first podium myself.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1020299)   #11
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Cleveland, circa 1993: Mansell and Tracy exchange position corner after corner, lap after lap.

Cleveland, circa 1995: Villeneuve and Gordon, a surprise winner and two surprise losers. One of the best races in CART's history. Many of you might remember the video I made of that one.

Cleveland, circa 1997: Zanardi pits when they're closed, gets black-flagged again, and wins from the rear of the field.

Cleveland, circa 2004: Bring it on!
Cleveland 2001: Junquera crashes into the pit lane....many people laugh!

The good thing about Cleveland is, barring turn 1, lap 1, when you go off, there's not much to hit, so hopefully we'll have another race unfettered by cautions..

Or am I getting that wrong, and backing up the pack is what we want? :confused:

They have actually been quite good with cautions this year though, I can think of at least two occasions when they could've easily been justified in bringing out the pace car, yet didn't.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1020357)   #12
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Quote:
Originally posted by JJspierx
Nobody thinks Almendinger will have a good showing? I think he's due for his first podium myself.
You're not the only one who beleives this. I too have got a notion that he will do very well this weekend. I also have a good feel for Carpentier and hope Tracy steps it up.

Looking at the event website it looks like it will be a great weekend with Champ Car, Atlantics, Trans-Am, and Formula BMW all on the ticket. Yep, I've gotta do this one soon.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:09 (Ref:1020392)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan

Shame I won't get to see it.
Same here. It's really doing me in, not have my Sunday night fix of Champ Cars...

codename, not only did Junky retire in the pits, he actually hit Christian and was parked in front of the Arciero-Blair pit stall. Max Wilson was running great and had to delay his stop due to Bruno being in his place!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 20:00 (Ref:1020562)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Having just re-watched that video from 95, my heart is racing faster than ever! Too bad they can't visit Cleveland three times throughout the season!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1020708)   #15
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
No fair Macdaddy. I'm here working (Ok, occasionally popping onto the forum) and you're home watching great racing.

Given the popularity of Cleveland and the consistant quality of racing it produces it is a wonder that they don't utiilze more airports for racing.

I know we see the fantasy courses on airports quite often (Lee Janotta if your still out there, swallow your pride and start posting again) but does ALMS or anyone else race on one besides Burke Lakefront?
Old 30 Jun 2004, 00:01 (Ref:1020853)   #16
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trans Am in Puerto Rico.

The layout is nearly identical to Cleveland, but with much less runoff and much narrower runways. Probably one of the best Trans-Am races I watched last year. It was more like a street circuit with all the concrete walls but could be a big hit. Maybe Champ Car should consider it if the race starts to really take off.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 01:33 (Ref:1020886)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I and my now ex-wife attended the first GP in Cleveland. I loved it and have attended several since. If it is still possible, I highly recommend standing along the Jersey barriers at the last corner before the grandstand straight. The acceleration of the cars off that corner is amazing!

I like the ease of track access and now with the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame nearby there is plenty to do to make it an appealing extended weekend.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 06:38 (Ref:1021006)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think Cleveland is an excellent track , Ive never been there but think the idea behind it is increddible and the racing is usually fantastic.

when you think about it the planning that must go into that event is brilliant , Ok they have been doing it for years now so they should have it down pretty good by now but to stop an airport for a car race , Now thats something special.

And I believe that as soon as the flag drops they are instantly stripping the place down and with a few hours the airport is back up and running again.

Dunno how true that is just what Ive heard over the years , but if its true thats an amazing effort.

I love the place and I hope they race there for many years to come

ohhhh and Go Justin
Old 30 Jun 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1021539)   #19
Uesque
Racer

Ukraine
Pittsburgh, PA
Uesque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember attending the Cumberland races many, many years ago(I was a kid, so I'm not that old), and they had to stop them at one point for a plane to land.
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Old 30 Jun 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1021554)   #20
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sebring is on an old airport. In the UK, Thruxton has a working airport as part of the complex (the track is the ring road that runs around it). And who can forget Gimli Manitoba, where a local race was interrupted in the 70's by an Air Canada jet landing, out of fuel. (It was in the days of the switchover to metric and the refuellers had refuelled in litres when the tank was in gallons. I'm serious!) There are many photos of the plane as a backdrop to the racing there -- because altho they landed the plane at Gimli the runway was too short to let it take off again. I think they eventually brought in some hotshot pilot who got the plane out of there, but it took awhile.

keke
Old 30 Jun 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1021586)   #21
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are leaving this evening for Cleveland. The border is bound to be a pain but the weekend in Cleveland is always worth it.

One of our favourite tracks. We have gone for 2 days in the past. This is the first time we will have been there for all 3 days of action.

I am looking forward to the ChampCar race but the Atlantic and TransAm are great to watch too.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1021732)   #22
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Have a great time and give us an update on the merits (or lack thereof)of Formula BMW when you get back.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 20:06 (Ref:1021807)   #23
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anybody from the GTA is going to the Cleveland GP this weekend I would gladly ride along in the trunk of your car.....if you have the room of course!

Last edited by Dov; 30 Jun 2004 at 20:07.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 00:08 (Ref:1022009)   #24
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
It's great to continue to see bright spots on the horizon and this is one of them! From CART .com
Old 1 Jul 2004, 03:23 (Ref:1022059)   #25
pilgrim
Rookie

pilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been to Cleveland several years - can't do it in 2004 unfortunately. It has always been a great race...Cute little airplane layout. Great race to watch on a budget
as there are many good seats. One year we economized in upper H - probably about 8 rows from the top. Nice view of the whole track. Binoculars are always nice to get a better view of the outlying turns. To tell the truth though I didn't actually use the binoculars that much.

I think that G, H and J were excellent values even though you get a little bit better view of the pits from D, E, F.
Little hard to see turn 1 from the J stand. Do sit in the upper rows for a full view of the course.

Bring the sunscreen and plenty of water and have a great time at this fine course.