Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 17 Aug 2010, 23:24 (Ref:2746313)   #26
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Release is Nov 2nd and I specifically hadn't bought a PS3 (still have a PS2) because 1) they dropped backward compatibility 2) GT had no release date.

Now that GT5 has a release date, but new slim PS3's don't have backward compatibility, I think I will look for an original PS3 20GB as I really don't need WiFi.

I hope I can still pick up both around the release date. I think its worth waiting at Gamestop or whatever at Midnight to pick up the game. I think I'll get the console first however. What I haven't figured out yet, is should I keep my mint condition PS2 slim since I doubt I'll run into an older PS2 title that won't run on a hardware or software emulation backward compatible.

I don't have any these weird hang ups that some people have on "realisim" its a f'in game and we have enough problems and the game is already too hard for most people to pick up and play.

I can't wait for it to come out though, which I'm glad I'm only taking one class in school.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 02:38 (Ref:2746382)   #27
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some early news Karting, Course Creator, Monza, Jaguar XJ13, Ferrari P4, Ford GT40 MkIV and more.

http://www.gtplanet.net/karting-monz...-full-details/

I'll be buying the new PS3 320GB Move pack. It's a great value package and I needed a PS Eye for headtracking in GT5.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...release-710714

Last edited by JAG; 18 Aug 2010 at 02:58.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 03:00 (Ref:2746383)   #28
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
I don't have any these weird hang ups that some people have on "realisim" its a f'in game and we have enough problems and the game is already too hard for most people to pick up and play.
It's not a weird hang up. A lot of the people on this forum compete in real life motorsport and we generally find games with unrealistic physics/dynamics to be very unenjoyable and difficult to "get in to".

That said, i agree there is a huge market for a game that is fun and easy to play with out the need for super realism.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2746877)   #29
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

http://www.gtplanet.net/63-stunning-...-zonda-r-more/

Last edited by JAG; 18 Aug 2010 at 23:27.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 09:42 (Ref:2747032)   #30
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graphics look amazing as expected, nice to spot the #42 in the NASCAR pack there, still no shots of any Australian cars (Ford, Holden, FPV & HSV) which would be disapointing considering we had a handfull in GT4.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 11:13 (Ref:2747071)   #31
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have been known to be a bit critical of the later versions of the GT franchise, mainly due to no damage and not really bringing anything new. GT and GT2 I remember with fondness, you could buy the John Cleland BTCC Vectra (showing my age a little bit now).

That the physics have apprantly been completely redone and there is now damage, coupled with the fact that it looks damn gorgeous, I'm really looking forward to this one. If delays = awesome then thats fine by me! It'll be nice to be able to race with my wheel on a console for once.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2747237)   #32
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Looks in-credible.

Just desperately need to know more/see some of the track editor.

Selby
Old 19 Aug 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2747306)   #33
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Graphics look amazing as expected, nice to spot the #42 in the NASCAR pack there, still no shots of any Australian cars (Ford, Holden, FPV & HSV) which would be disapointing considering we had a handfull in GT4.
Every car from GT4 will be included.

At the very least they'll be Standard cars which use an improved version of GT4's 3D model and the latest physics engine.

Additionally a number of cars previously featured in GT4 will be re-modelled as Premium models.

Last edited by JAG; 19 Aug 2010 at 20:17.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 20:15 (Ref:2747308)   #34
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Looks in-credible.

Just desperately need to know more/see some of the track editor.

Selby
You may have read this already, but if not here it is.

Quote:
Kazunori pointed out that they didn’t call it a “Course Editor” simply because one is not able to edit an existing course, but create wholly new ones from scratch with an intuitive interface. The player selects from one of four themes (three – Toscana Sunset, Springtime Germany and Belgian High Fens – were named), adjusts the parameters of the course and the track is randomly generated from scratch. The parameters available include switching between a loop/circuit and a rally-style point-to-point track, selecting the weather, the time of day, the frequency of corners, the sharpness of corners and the bank angle. The track can be divided into up to four sectors and each sector given a different set of corner characteristics – so you can generate a long straight in one sector and a tight, complex series of corners in the next. Kazunori demonstrated all of these features and the track generation time was incredibly short. The track is limited to 6.5 miles/10km, but since that’s nearly twice the length of an average F1 track, even the most ardent future-Tilke should be happy!

Though some might prefer a full-scale track editor to recreate their own Road Atlanta, Spa-Francorchamps or Bathurst – Kazunori included – at the present time the level of customisability combined with the scope and detail of Gran Turismo means it would require a huge editor program and, of course, the resulting track may not be accessible to everyone, whereas GT5 Course Maker tracks will be available to race online.
http://www.gtplanet.net/gamescom-gra...-full-details/

Quote:
"This isn't something you would use to make an exact recreation of a road," says Yamauchi, scotching visions of a proper 3D track creator. "But you can make tracks that suit parameters you specify."

He switches to the game and starts by picking a theme - sunset in Toscana, although there appear to be lots of others - before playing with some slider bars and dropdowns to change the number of sectors, course type (one-way or loop), weather and time of day. Tracks can be up to 10km long.

He then jumps into the game via the Test Drive button and within seconds he's zooming down highways through parched fields and villages. He exits back to the Course Maker screen and tunes a couple of sectors, changing the frequency of curves, course width, sharpness of corners, degree of topography tracing and bank angles. When he hits Test Drive again he's facing a totally different course of rising straights and increasingly sharp, technical corners.

"It's not practical to have a regular course creator," says Yamauchi, "because it ends up being a complicated 3D tool and nobody would be able to use it." Course Maker certainly looks easy to use.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...preview?page=1
Old 19 Aug 2010, 20:53 (Ref:2747333)   #35
JAG
Veteran

England
This is pretty cool.

It shows the dust being blown by a gust of wind.

Old 19 Aug 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2747335)   #36
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Excellent links, but I still don't entirely understand.

Does this mean you can only use preset sections of courses? Like a 'quick section', followed by 'a technical section', and just edit the sharpness of the corners? Or can I change how many corners there are? Because if I can edit the sharpness of each corner, and add/remove corners, then that's absolutely fine.

Basically I just want to be able to create some of the tracks i've drawn on photoshop, which would not require specific scenary etc, just the actual track layout.

Selby
Old 19 Aug 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2747367)   #37
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My impressions from reading that are basically that you will be able to create you're own corners etc. I'm looking forward to the track editor a lot. Looking forward to creating my own fantasy circuits, weather and day/night transition are great inclusions as well. It really does look like Yamauchi has nailed it this time.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2747713)   #38
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Excellent links, but I still don't entirely understand.

Does this mean you can only use preset sections of courses? Like a 'quick section', followed by 'a technical section', and just edit the sharpness of the corners? Or can I change how many corners there are? Because if I can edit the sharpness of each corner, and add/remove corners, then that's absolutely fine.

Basically I just want to be able to create some of the tracks i've drawn on photoshop, which would not require specific scenary etc, just the actual track layout.

Selby
It's not clear if you'll be able to edit individual corners once a track has been generated.

I get the impression it's more of an open road/rally stage creator rather than reproducing an exact design.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2747993)   #39
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
With this game released in a few months I could not resist to buy a PS3. I played a lot of GT3, wasn't enthousiast about GT4 but now looking forward to GT5, especially to the NASCAR part. Which NASCAR ovals as it? I hope not only big ones like Daytona but also short ovals like Bristol and Martinsville.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2748403)   #40
JAG
Veteran

England
Spa maybe in GT5.

http://www.gtplanet.net/video-reveal...francorchamps/
Old 22 Aug 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2748655)   #41
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
That made for quite interesting reading. Also note that in GT5 prologue in the top right corner the location/weather/time counter crops up with various race circuits. Silverstone and Spa are on that counter but that is probably me reading too much into things.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2751193)   #42
JAG
Veteran

England
NASCAR Video

http://www.gtplanet.net/nascar-gamep...com-2010-demo/

XJ13 Video

http://www.gtplanet.net/insidesimrac...erage-preview/
Old 29 Aug 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2751599)   #43
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't wait for this! Its been years since I played GT in anger, probably since around 2005 when I rented the 4th game because I didn't wish to buy it.
There are too many games coming out in November so I'll most probably pick this up at xmas or in the post-xmas sales.
I can't wait until I build up enough GT 5 credits and can afford to take a 458 Italia around the Top Gear test track.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2753758)   #44
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope no-one here has a 40gb PS3, I'm glad I upgraded my 60gb to 500gb because GT 5 requires a 10gb install:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=262168
Old 5 Sep 2010, 13:38 (Ref:2754734)   #45
JAG
Veteran

England
Some new damage screenshots.

http://www.gtplanet.net/new-gran-tur...best-buy-demo/
Old 6 Sep 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2755273)   #46
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
woah, now that does look impressive. anyone know if its still limited to about 8 cars in a race?
Old 6 Sep 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2755382)   #47
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While all the demos have had 8 cars there have been videos and quotes from Kaz that confirm 16 car grids.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2755427)   #48
JAG
Veteran

England
Crash, bang, wallop!

It looks to be dynamic damage as impacts on the same corner of the car results in different damage.

http://www.gtplanet.net/more-screens...mage-modeling/

Old 7 Sep 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2755813)   #49
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlongman View Post
While all the demos have had 8 cars there have been videos and quotes from Kaz that confirm 16 car grids.
well 16 would be an improvement, but my little old pc can handle 50+ in rfactor. Enduro events are only fun when you have big grids in different classes, 24hrs at Nurby will get awfully even with 16 cars. Sometimes i wish they would sacrifice some of the pretty stuff just so they can run more AI, in my view that dramatically improves the experience over, say, a moving crowd.

Having just updated my TV to something from the 21st century and tried Forza 3 on 1080p for the first time last night tho, i've sure i'll be buying a PS3 and GT5 and will have a ball playing it
Old 16 Sep 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2760478)   #50
JAG
Veteran

England
Day/Night transitions and weather confirmed.

Le Mans looks stunning!

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo...ng-at-le-mans/

* Laguna Seca has been completely rebuilt and will return for GT5. Trial Mountain has also been confirmed.

* “Gran Turismo Anywhere” will allow you to manage B-Spec races, right from your computer. You’ll be able to hold B-Spec races with your friends from anywhere in what are called “Remote Races”.

* GT5 will feature a series of special events such as the Karting Experience, the AMG driving school, The Stig Challenge, Jeff Gordon NASCAR School, Sebastien Loeb Rally Challenge, and Gran Turismo Rally.

* Point-to-point rally stages will be automatically and randomly generated – you’ll have to depend on your co-driver to give you the best instructions about the road ahead.

* Rally mode can be played either on or offline.

* Weather changes include temperature differences, air pressure changes, and humidity, affecting the surface conditions of the track dynamically.

* Weather conditions are randomized. Forecasts for your race will be available but may not be entirely accurate, just like the real world.

* Polyphony Digital has helped Red Bull Racing’s Adrian Newey design the X1 Concept – an “ultimate” racing car, free of any technical regulations.

* Polyphony Digital has worked to improve engine sounds.

* Yamauchi admits that, in certain situations – such as standing race starts in the rain with 15 other cars on the screen kicking up spray in front of you – the game may not be able to hold 60FPS. Otherwise, it will strive to hold 60FPS as often as possible.

* The Volkswagen Kubelwagen, which has a drive system like the first beetle, and the amphibious Volkswagen Schwimmwagen will be in the game.

* Many things didn’t make the cut in Gran Turismo 5, and work on Gran Turismo 6 has already begun.