Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 16 Jun 2000, 09:58 (Ref:17553)   #1
tkm81
Rookie

England
Stoke-on-Trent
tkm81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A quick intro...I have been racing 250 ICE Karts for some time in the British Superkart Champs. I'm currently on a 'sabatical'. SO i thought it would be a good idea to make my own chassis. I have the engine, brakes etc. Just need to design and make the chassis. If it is good enough in testing i may race it, as long as i can satisfy the MSA's homoligation rules. The design of the chassis is puzzling me. Does anyone want to be involved in the design of this chassis. Of course if I use anyones design they will get to see it and drive it. If i'm sucessful in building the chassis, i would like to go for the world record for top speed in a kart which at the moment is a tad under 190Mph.
Old 16 Jun 2000, 10:07 (Ref:17555)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to Ten Tenths TKM81

I'm sure our own Sparky will be more than happy to help.

Whilst you're here why not pop into the Racer's Forum and tell us about your adventures?
Old 18 Jun 2000, 22:48 (Ref:17870)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi tkm!

I'm afraid the only Kart I've ever had any involvement with was a 1962 Aerokart.
This poor unsuspecting 'classic' was set upon by myself and an axe-weilding biker-type. That day we managed to destroy a perfectly good, MOT-failure Yamaha 350LC, and create a monster that is still spoken of in hushed tones.
I wouldn't like to think of the potential for Vmax, but I do know we used the Kart's 10" wheels, and.... the road bike's rear sprocket!! I think the overall gear ratio was something in the region of 12:1!!

Top speed... 70mph? But Acceleration?? HA HA HA HA!!! And a six-speed, sequential, upright gearchange!! And that was before the BTTC had them!

I'll see if I can scan a photo of the old 'LC kart'. But trust me - This is not the way to go!!!

If you're intending to use the kart for speed attempts as well as regular racing, the design will have to be a compromise one for stability and agility. From what I understand, the ratio of length to width is critical, depending on the intended use. More length for speed, more track for handling... But I guess you knew that anyway!

There are a few Zipkarts floating about with Honda Fireblade lumps in 'em. Blimey! Power to weight ratio of... I can't imagine 1500 bhp per tonne? AARRGGHH!!

I'll see what I can find.

An interesting project!
Old 19 Jun 2000, 10:19 (Ref:17939)   #4
tkm81
Rookie

England
Stoke-on-Trent
tkm81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers...

I wasn't intending to race the thing once its finished, as i don't really fancy 1500Bhp per tonne with other karts around me. I am going purely for speed, how quickly it goes through the gears doesn't bother me. The chassis will be very long probabley an extra half meter on an existing anderson 250 chassis for example, but i am thinking the same width as a current 250 just to keep some sort of flex in the chassis for some basic cornering. Weight distribution is the main problem, obvisouly as you increase the cc of the engine the heavier it is and the harder it will be to keep it in a straight line! can anyone suggest a powerful V-twin engine? preferably one with alot of BHP and a reputaion for reliablity? is the Aprila RSV 1000 a v-twin?
Old 24 Jun 2000, 22:58 (Ref:19252)   #5
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are currently building a 250 superkart chassis and are going for a extra 100mm over existing designs,this should make it less twitchy in fast corners altough possibly at the exspense of making us slower around the tighter ones,Sparky if you have any info on the lenghth to width thing i'd be very interested in seeing it,we have a maximum width of 1400mm (as allowed by our rules) to the outsides of the rear tyres but no idea what to do the front to,first run is in about 3 weeeks so i guess i'll find out.
Old 13 Mar 2004, 01:16 (Ref:903991)   #6
sf2001
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
sf2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to start, you wont get any 190mph out of any 250cc engine..

my friends dad made a 500cc kart which has over 170hp, and its only estimated to do 170mph or so
Old 14 Mar 2004, 18:15 (Ref:905167)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, the Aprilia RSV 1000 is a V-Twin btw.