Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 26 Nov 2006, 02:39 (Ref:1775016)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team NZL - who should drive?

Following the success of the GBR thread I thought I'd start another one!

With Jonny Reid qualifying on the front row on two successive occasions he really seems to be on form. Matt Halliday by comparison seems to often be a midfield runner.

In my opinion Reid should be first choice, it seems to be the case this weekend with Halliday back in NZ competing in a domestic Porsche series. Not sure if this is due to Halliday choosing the Porsche's (he might get paid to drive them vs pay to drive A1?) or if the team has chosen Reid.

For now Reid seems eligible for the rookie sessions (cannot remember how that works!), I hope Wade Cunningham gets a second chance following his single lap in Beijing, as a World karting and Indy Pro Series champion he deserves it.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 07:47 (Ref:1775072)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Not hard,Jonny's had 2 drives for 2 front rows.Matt needs a holiday.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1775124)   #3
Msport 33
Rookie

New Zealand
United Kingdom
Msport 33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi fellas
This is my first post and thought i would get in on the action after watching the race this morning. I thought that Reid was very average in the Feature race, considering that they share data with Germany, who dominated. I was hoping for a better result from Jonny as he has raced alot in the wet this year in Japan F3.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1775134)   #4
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One name: Greg Murphy.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1775364)   #5
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Murph's getting a bit long in the tooth,been awhile since he pedalled an open wheeler.
Would be good to see Scott Dixon have a drive but that appears never to be likely.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1775484)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
As I tried to explain in the GBR thread, it's very difficult to introduce a completely fresh driver at this point in the season. There are no extra opportunities to test, so I'd suggest sticking with Jonny Reid. He may have been disappointing in the feature race today, but overall he's been more impressive than Matt Halliday.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 05:02 (Ref:1775616)   #7
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Yoong reported that he went backwards in the first half of the race due to tyre pressures not being what was needed. I wonder if NZ had a similar problem? Seems odd that Reid faded that badly after such a good qualifying.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 07:08 (Ref:1775648)   #8
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
They set the Kiwi car up gambling on a dry track,as it rained the car was very skitish,Jonny did well to keep it on the track.
The first race he drove with bent suspension.Hopefully they stick with him,he appears to be a great talent.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1778138)   #9
blew by u
Rookie

blew by u should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jonny reid has the momentum ive heard through the grape vine the he is in the car for the rest of the season.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 23:24 (Ref:1778173)   #10
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
get Cunningham in the car!

he nearly won the Indy Pro Series this season despite missing some races!

looks like a real good prospect
Old 30 Nov 2006, 03:19 (Ref:1778246)   #11
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
It is good news if Reid is in the car for the rest of the season.

Cunningham did win the Indy Pro series last year, I think he was a fair way off the points total of the champion this year.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1778358)   #12
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats Chris Amon doing these days?? probably the best ever NZ open wheel racer...

In all seriousness, id love to see Scott Dixon do it, but i wonder if his IRL contracts forbid him ??
Old 30 Nov 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1778414)   #13
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Dixon did one practice session in Dubai last year so seemed keen, from reading media reports it seemed Chip Ganassi was keen to see him concentrate on IRL pre season testing however. It was mentioned at the beginning of this season that Dixon might still get involved, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Old 1 Dec 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1779319)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Thought I read something about Chris Van Der Drift saying during FR3.5 testing yesterday that he's going out to Sentul to drive A1 in some capacity?

Anyone know any more about this as it'll be interesting to see how he goes.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 09:55 (Ref:1779344)   #15
Msport 33
Rookie

New Zealand
United Kingdom
Msport 33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didnt Vander Drift test well at the official A1gp Silverstone test. I think he would go well. What do you think his plans will be for next season, surely not another season in FRenault 2.0
Old 1 Dec 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1779353)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msport 33
Didnt Vander Drift test well at the official A1gp Silverstone test. I think he would go well. What do you think his plans will be for next season, surely not another season in FRenault 2.0
Well he's been testing both FR 3.5 and GP2 but I suspect he'll be doing the former money permitting..

He looks to be a good prospect?
Old 1 Dec 2006, 10:27 (Ref:1779373)   #17
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Presume he will be doing the rookie session then. Reid must almost be due to be inelligible as he did some races last season as well.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 10:52 (Ref:1779387)   #18
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reid is doing a bloody good job this year. Despite his run-ins with his German teammate.

lt will be this yeare interesting to see who gets the gig for the Taupo event in January. Reid is the form man, but Halliady enjoys a larger identity on the local scene... Another name id throw in th mix at some stage would be Brendon Hartley, he would be quick but his commitments with the red bull team would make it difficult to get a drive...
Old 2 Dec 2006, 08:36 (Ref:1780004)   #19
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Red Bull are allowing Neel Jani and Adrian Zaugg to drive, so no reason why they should prevent Hartley. He might be too young and inexperienced still though?

Hopefully the team will go with the form driver rather than who is the bigger name for the Taupo round. If they wanted the biggest name that would be Dixon anyway.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1786941)   #20
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Not a hard choice now.Well done Jonny.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1788944)   #21
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jonny did great last weekend! He's a talented driver, a great guy, and although I believe his father did have some financial link with the team - so it may be academic about getting another driver now - I don't think he's that well-funded that he couldn't use the kudos.

By the same token, Wade Cunningham is also a talented driver and NZ could do worse than give him a few shots at it. He was world karting champion (the title that eluded Senna) so he has pedigree as well! And he's quick on the road courses in Indy Pro, so he's proved he can drive. I doubt he'd disappoint.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 13 Dec 2006, 06:28 (Ref:1789577)   #22
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
I also hope Wade Cunningham gets a chance. He deserves a lot more than half a lap in Beijing!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 00:09 (Ref:1791004)   #23
carbontub
Racer

carbontub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Thought I read something about Chris Van Der Drift saying during FR3.5 testing yesterday that he's going out to Sentul to drive A1 in some capacity?

Anyone know any more about this as it'll be interesting to see how he goes.
He certainly did that, he stacked it. I dont think he did one full lap.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 03:54 (Ref:1791078)   #24
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
he's welcome to come to every rookie session and crash it every time as long as we go on to win both races on Sunday.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 04:55 (Ref:1793259)   #25
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Wade Cunningham and Jonny Reid will be driving in Taupo.

Quite fitting I think. NZ's karting World Champion and the hero from Sentul driving in front of what hopefully will be a huge home crowd.

there is an article profiling Reid at the below location by the way:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/event/stor...ectid=10415602