Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Nov 2002, 18:24 (Ref:439530)   #1
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yoong to Cart confirmed!

It is being reported on our papers etc that Alex Yoong is coming to Cart for sure next year. Details on the drive have not been released. One more driver for cart with legitimate sponsorship, this can only be positive.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/cart/main.asp
Old 29 Nov 2002, 18:59 (Ref:439546)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it's good from that standpoint, but it's an insult to the series to suggest this talentless hack will be any more successful in CART.

Then again, Dominguez managed a win, so I suppose anything's possible...
Old 29 Nov 2002, 20:59 (Ref:439610)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I say give Yoong a chance. Look at Zanardi in F1, it certainly wasn't reflective of his talent. Although I'd argue his CART record was a bit over representative of his talent.

Last edited by Snrub; 29 Nov 2002 at 20:59.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 21:20 (Ref:439626)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Remember Zanardi with Lotus though? He had a lot of bad luck, but could make that car do spectacular things. And had a strong resume in feeder formulas. Yoong's done _nothing_ noteworthy.

Pay driver hack.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 21:48 (Ref:439657)   #5
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
still he'll fill up a spot on the grid, all helps Champcars world series marketing
Old 29 Nov 2002, 22:50 (Ref:439695)   #6
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
any REAL confirmation of this?
Old 29 Nov 2002, 23:00 (Ref:439699)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His manager stated that he'd be driving in Cart next year on f1-live.com and tsn.ca, so we know that much. My guess is that he's Forsythe's pay driver.

Should be interesting, but I honestly don't expect a lot from him.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Nov 2002, 23:11 (Ref:439706)   #8
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
should be interesting to see how he goes in a car harder to drive than a current F1 car
Old 29 Nov 2002, 23:17 (Ref:439710)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I'd Like to see how he goes as well, Ok so he wasnt very good in F1 but you never know CART may just be the place where he excells.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 23:24 (Ref:439714)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Yoong, Mario Dominguez and Joel Camathias doesn't exactly replace the names Andretti, Fittipaldi or Franchitti

But on a more positive note, good to see another name confirmed, and at least it's a driver known reasonably well in Europe.

What about a CART race at Sepang one year?
Old 30 Nov 2002, 00:01 (Ref:439740)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give the guys a chance, she said patiently. What if any of them came over here and saw that virtually everyone here had branded them losers before they ever drove a single meter on a Champ Car track?

Andretti, Fittipaldi and Franchitti (ESPECIALLY Franchitti) were unknown, untested nobodies once upon a time. Just because you're not yet familiar with the new guys, don't assume they are no good and can never been any good -- don't show up prepared to hate them no matter what they do.

Wait and see what they can do. In five years when Carnathias heads to F1, you'll be saying that "Joe Smith" coming up from F3000 is certainly no replacement for Joel Carnathias!
Old 30 Nov 2002, 00:15 (Ref:439750)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol, fair enough Liz, new blood is always a good thing in any event.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 00:49 (Ref:439777)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Uh, Liz, gotta nitpick a bit here... Michael Andretti was Mario's son, Christian Fittipaldi was an ex-Minardi driver, and nothing special there either... Franchitti, granted.

But we've _seen_ how Yoong performs at a high level... And he's just painfully slow!

At least he's got the good sense to get out of the way of overtaking cars, unlike Matsu****a. He was such a terrible danger to everyone on the circuit the autocensor won't even let me spell his name out!

If we've got to have one of the rookies thrown out of F1 after last year, I'd want Sato! Now _he_ could be good in CART!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 30 Nov 2002 at 00:56.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 00:53 (Ref:439779)   #14
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
yeah power sliding Sato would be cool. Ok no more negative posts from me about Yoong until the season starts then I reserve the right to comment as I see fit
Old 30 Nov 2002, 00:54 (Ref:439780)   #15
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
Does he have to do some sort of a test to make sure he can drive a champcar? I mean its not being controlled by playstation from the pits by the engineers likr F1
Old 30 Nov 2002, 02:02 (Ref:439812)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Give him a chance. In the last few races of this year he went alright. I'll reserve judgement for now.

On another tangent, is there any chance of Pedro De La Rosa seeking a CART drive for 2003?
Old 30 Nov 2002, 02:07 (Ref:439814)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Jeez mac, don't even give them the idea!

Sato and Alesi out of the F1 cast-offs, that's it!
Old 30 Nov 2002, 02:31 (Ref:439823)   #18
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
De La Rosa has a bit of talent. His career has been ruined by all the political bull**** with Irvine and Jag.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 03:54 (Ref:439870)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
de la Rosa was the only F1 driver in 2001 who sat outside his car during the drivers' parade at Indianapolis F1 race, in the rain, to wave to the fans, because he said the fans had paid big money and made a big effort to be there and they deserved to see the drivers.

He was THE ONLY ONE.

IMO he is suitable for Champ Cars. And he is very very popular in Spain and has lots of his own money (and Repsol sponsorship) and might be enticed to start a team of his own in a few years if we treat him nicely.

Plus he can drive if given something faster than a brick and a team boss and teammate who are sane.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 04:03 (Ref:439872)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Yoong proves himself capable in CART, then I say good on him. And if not, well at least he's having a go anyway.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 04:38 (Ref:439880)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly f1manoz! Heck, he made it to F1 somehow, is it so bad that he could make it to Cart somehow too?

I say, give him a shot, and if he's slow...well..he won't be the first F1 backmarker to jump to Cart...and be a backmarker.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Nov 2002, 04:50 (Ref:439882)   #22
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
PDR would be good in Champcars. He performed okay on occasions. He would be a worthy addition to the lineup as would I might add on a Spanish note Marc Gene
Old 30 Nov 2002, 06:01 (Ref:439891)   #23
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Sorry, but I really worry about the troubles of marketing a series full of F1 rejects!

CART needs to build it's own identity back up, and that means developing it's own talent. Americans, Canadians, Brazilians, Mexicans, and a handful of others... I'm sorry, but too many washouts from the European system are going to drag this series right back into the ground!

I should say the Italians seem to get along better in this series than other Europeans. Zanardi and Papis, of course. The rest are a bunch of mindless corporate drones who brake... Then turn... Then accelerate... In the boring old continental style. And never overtake unless they're waved by. It's like they don't even _want_ to win!

There are loads of drivers out there we've not even heard of who are immensely more talented than PDR or Gene or Yoong.

Cripes, who's next? Tarso Marques? Oh, right, he already had a go. Ooo, how about Bernouldi?

The oh-so-lucrative American market is based on personality... We shouldn't be talking about Yoong, we should be talking about drivers with some cajones like Sato or Alesi! Cripes, can you image Alesi in this series? It'd be a brilliant match! His driving is brilliant, he's super-aggressive, and he threw his helmet to the fans at Hockenheim!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 30 Nov 2002 at 06:11.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 06:13 (Ref:439894)   #24
blu125
Rookie

blu125 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless of the talents of Yoong, don't forget that Stoddies next cast-off is a Russian with access to far too much gas.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 06:45 (Ref:439900)   #25
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
If they go to Eurupe to race they might need a few token Europeans racing to appeal to the local market
whose there at the moment

Brack maybe?
Papis perhaps?
Joel Camathais - did i spell his name right?
Manning, Lotterer