Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 23 Mar 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2422538)   #1
F3L
Racer

F3L has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Graham or Robert ?

Gragham Rahal says he is ready to be team leader. Good on you however I have a feeling that Doornbos will outrace him this year once he is up to speed on the ovals. Would not good for the American driver or the series.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 09:58 (Ref:2422562)   #2
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3L View Post
Gragham Rahal says he is ready to be team leader. Good on you however I have a feeling that Doornbos will outrace him this year once he is up to speed on the ovals. Would not good for the American driver or the series.
Doornbos is a lot more experienced than Rahal, and once up to speed on the ovals will probably assert himself over Rahal in the team. Not great for Graham, as you say, but I don't know why this would not be good for the series? The arrival of a new fast rookie (in IRL terms) can only be a good thing, can't it?
Old 23 Mar 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2422565)   #3
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see Doornbos thrashing Rahal this year. Doornbos has always been quick & I think that he'll prove that this year.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 23 Mar 2009, 10:13 (Ref:2422569)   #4
F3L
Racer

F3L has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk View Post
Doornbos is a lot more experienced than Rahal, and once up to speed on the ovals will probably assert himself over Rahal in the team. Not great for Graham, as you say, but I don't know why this would not be good for the series? The arrival of a new fast rookie (in IRL terms) can only be a good thing, can't it?

I was thinkg bad for the series as Rahal is an American. Series needs more fast Americanb drivers and Marco is not going to be a Mario whatever Mario says. RHR is not that quick ( with or without a ride ). Seems that Summerton and Hildebrand cannot arrive too quickly.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2422609)   #5
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Robert Doornbos. I cant wait to see how he does this year.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2422614)   #6
Keyfabe
Rookie

England
Leeds
Keyfabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think it should be close, remember how quick Rahal was in the A1 car? but I Doornbos is a great guy though hope he does well.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2422664)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am going to back Rahal to be ahead at the end of the season
Old 23 Mar 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2422712)   #8
Aloysius
Racer

Aloysius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doornbos should do better this season, but I'd look for Graham to improve throughout the year. Next year he should be really tough.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2422849)   #9
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if this series is ever going to get back to where CART was before the split they have to stop worrying about the American driver situation and just worry about putting the best talent they can on the track so the racing is good.

No one wants to see bad drivers hitting the wall every 20 laps.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2423078)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think at this stage Doornbos will be quick on the road courses atleast
Old 24 Mar 2009, 03:56 (Ref:2423304)   #11
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I would back Doornbos across the season. Initially quick on the road courses, quicker than Rahal, and once he learns oval racing he'll be quick there too.

If I think about the boys from Europe in the CART days they were very quick on ovals once they got that sorted.
Mansell was quicker on ovals than road courses, as was Dixon and Montoya.
Learning ovals in the IRL isn't as hard for the open wheel driver as learning to drive tin tops in Nascar....
Old 24 Mar 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2423604)   #12
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect Doornbos to be ahead at the end of the season. I think Rahal will start quicker but as Bobby catches up I suspect we'll see the mistakes that I feel have rather littered Graham's career and I would imagine none of them will be his fault either ;-)
Old 26 Mar 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2425517)   #13
AX lover
Racer

Netherlands
AX lover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ofcourse Doornbos will beat Rahal, he is fast and once he knows his way around an oval it will be bye bye Rahal.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 23:19 (Ref:2425646)   #14
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Doornbos is a better driver. As for who will come out on top at the end, it all depends on how quickly Bobby D adapts to ovals. I think he'll be ok, and will benefit from the team having already had a season in the championship. I'll stick with the Dutchman.

Ultimately, Doornbos is closer to his potential at this point in his career - I'm hoping Rahal continues developing.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 00:02 (Ref:2425678)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You'd have to back Doornbos. But make no mistake, Rahal has some serious potential to fulfil.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2430561)   #16
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
But make no mistake, Rahal has some serious potential to fulfil.
Hmmm I'm yet to be convinced. Just seems to be in the wall too often for my taste and it's just never his fault. Danica set the world alight at Indy in the past and she's pretty much just one of the pack now - Graham needs to start fulfilling that promise or he's pretty much just a famous surname with some ability.

Which is a surprise to me saying it because he looked astounding in Star Mazda.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2431886)   #17
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doornbos, nay Bobby D will be quicker initially. He is the more experienced driver and in the IRL getting up to speed on the oval takes about 6 laps in testing. Bobby D is up to speed, the way he works with his team on strategy could be a sticking point, but he's Bobby D, and he's driving for Newman Haas (Lanigan). I think Graham could really develop this year and turn into the driver we all anticipate he will become, before a break out year in 2010. As far as team leader? Team leader isn't something that comes with speed, it comes with age, Graham is a mature beyond his years and it will be interesting to see if he assumes leadership.

Chris