Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Oct 2015, 19:31 (Ref:3581831)   #226
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by divxx View Post
I was thinking the same thing, Thiim, as expected, was the fastest guy on track. Glad they didn't try to get him to play bulldozer, and overall, credit to WRT for always spreading their best drivers, they have so damn many (Vanthoor-Mies this year or Rast-Vanthoor last year would have just dominated).

One of the best performances Frijns has had this year, though one would expect that since it's his home race. Good ending that almost makes you forget the atrocious start/re-start from race direction.

Very happy that HTP got one today after Buhk got screwed out of both the sprint and overall titles last year. But it was an eye-opening season from Abril, who I previously assumed was just a decent pay driver, but was arguably stronger than his teammate the past few races.
That not-start was straight out of the Eduardo Freitas' Fuji Playbook. When only one car reacts to the restart there has probably been a big breakdown in communication somewhere along the line.

I was also surprised that Bonanomi didn't make more of a fight of the lead, not for the Audi angle but just because he gave it up so easily. He knew the Bentley was going to try into T1 the moment it went green, but he let Buhk sail by on the racing line. Don't worry Marco, Audi will always have an R18 for you to test...

To be honest I wouldn't have blamed Audi/WRT for letting Thiim have a go at duffing up Buhk (although obviously I would not have approved), that is ultimately what he is there for. I think a Thiim/Buhk/Frijns finish would have left the latter two tied on points with Abril for the Sprint Cup? Regardless, today Frijns showed the speed that has put him on the Audi factory ladder. He just needs to build up the race-savvy and that's exactly why he's in GT3. Audi could monster Blancpain with any two of their seasoned factory drivers but clearly they want to give Frijns experience at the front. With Vanthoor likely to become an LMP driver soon (a la Rast) Robin might find himself leading the WRT charge soon.

For all the brilliance Buhk has showed in the last three seasons, he still finds himself overshadowed by a teammate in some respects - first Schnieder, then Gotz, now Abril. He reminds me a lot of Fassler (who copped a bit of flak this morning) in that neither of them would be the first choice for drivers who will light up the timing screens, but they are both relentless and reliable so they fully deserve the success that comes their way. Even today I didn't think Frijns would get past apart from when he first drove up to the back bumper, Buhk did what had to be done and no more.

Last edited by J Jay; 11 Oct 2015 at 19:36.
Old 11 Oct 2015, 19:48 (Ref:3581837)   #227
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by divxx View Post
I was thinking the same thing, Thiim, as expected, was the fastest guy on track. Glad they didn't try to get him to play bulldozer, and overall, credit to WRT for always spreading their best drivers, they have so damn many (Vanthoor-Mies this year or Rast-Vanthoor last year would have just dominated).
Doesn't Mies pays a cent for racing? Lining him with Ide looks more like a Nightmare than a bless. I'm sure Frinjs has some money to support him, he is good but there must be something more than his single seater career when Audi gives him de best codriver in GT racing (The first year in GTs).
Old 11 Oct 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3581839)   #228
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After watching Chris Mies storm to the front in the first stint of the race, I would be totally fine if Mies and Frijns stay together as a team next year. That was some word class racing.

Also, awesome weekend and a fitting end to an amazing season. I'm proud to have been an insignificant part of it.
Old 11 Oct 2015, 19:54 (Ref:3581840)   #229
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdragon View Post
Doesn't Mies pays a cent for racing? Lining him with Ide looks more like a Nightmare than a bless. I'm sure Frinjs has some money to support him, he is good but there must be something more than his single seater career when Audi gives him de best codriver in GT racing (The first year in GTs).
Mies is an Audi works driver and Frijns brings some money but I very much doubt that was a make or break part of the contract negotiations.
Old 11 Oct 2015, 20:13 (Ref:3581855)   #230
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup Mies is a GT factory driver like Thiim.

I think it's the philosophy of WRT to look for new, fast talents who weren't able to continue their career like they would.
Old 11 Oct 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3581881)   #231
divxx
Racer

United States
Other side of the pond
divxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's hard to root against WRT, they're a very sporting team, though I do anyways because they hog all the trophies.

When HTP switched brands and MVDS cut back to a partial season, I feared this overall Blancpain season would be a snooze. And it could have been but for a couple of uncharacteristic moments from Laurens: at Spa most notably (where remember, they basically decided he would be lone champion again by splitting him and Frijns up, with Vanthoor lining up with the other top guys in the new car), and similarly when he tried to show his displeasure at being held up by the second Bentley at Misano.

Finally, after starting almost dead last, WRT somehow got the car out of the pits first, but for that stall. I think that's a big reason why Frijns was so disappointed despite getting a championship, it was so so close. Though personally, that stall saved me from losing it because then that botched restart would have made all the difference.
Old 11 Oct 2015, 21:30 (Ref:3581892)   #232
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
Yup Mies is a GT factory driver like Thiim.

I think it's the philosophy of WRT to look for new, fast talents who weren't able to continue their career like they would.
Then one has to wonder why Ide is there...
He is not new, not fast and not talented.

Maybe because he's Belgian? Unless he brings loads of money to the team (dunno, I never saw a real sponsor name on their car), please replace him.
With Vervisch for example. He's Belgian too, but at least he's fast.
Old 11 Oct 2015, 21:43 (Ref:3581897)   #233
divxx
Racer

United States
Other side of the pond
divxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ide is an interesting case in that he somehow gets slower with each additional year of experience, while remaining error-prone.

Considering how long he's been with the team, and how he's always teamed with one of the best available drivers, I'm guessing it's more than just a matter of nationality. Also, he may not need to bring in sponsors if he's got family money.
Old 11 Oct 2015, 21:44 (Ref:3581898)   #234
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Ide's father is a pretty wealthy industrialist, IIRC....
Old 11 Oct 2015, 21:58 (Ref:3581906)   #235
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WRT has to look for money, too. They have a pretty big business maintaining customer cars (not only GT3). Ide is a paydriver I think.
Old 11 Oct 2015, 23:44 (Ref:3581942)   #236
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Ide is definitely a pay driver, he certainly brings money for his ride.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 03:14 (Ref:3581994)   #237
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
WRT is a customer racing team. Where do you think the money comes from?

-mike
Old 12 Oct 2015, 07:12 (Ref:3582059)   #238
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Ide's father is a pretty wealthy industrialist, IIRC....
Filthy rich, you might say. http://derijkstebelgen.be/vermogende/familie-louis-ide/
Old 12 Oct 2015, 18:46 (Ref:3582244)   #239
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
WRT is a customer racing team. Where do you think the money comes from?

-mike
Nah, not in the traditional meaning of the word. WRT is as close to a factory team as you can get in Blancpain, no other team in GT is so heavily supported by Audi Sport (not even Phoenix).

I wouldn't be surprised if their budget is (almost) twice the size as most of their main competitors.
Old 13 Oct 2015, 03:20 (Ref:3582379)   #240
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Nah, not in the traditional meaning of the word. WRT is as close to a factory team as you can get in Blancpain, no other team in GT is so heavily supported by Audi Sport (not even Phoenix).

I wouldn't be surprised if their budget is (almost) twice the size as most of their main competitors.
Apparently what I was told the last 2 years trying to drive with them was wrong. As well as what they're telling everyone driving the new R8 this year. Thanks!

-mike
Old 13 Oct 2015, 07:43 (Ref:3582421)   #241
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
What did they tell you, Mike?