Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Sep 2001, 12:36 (Ref:140040)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Jim Jnr out ?

Just recieved this..
Quote:
Edwards Jnr parts company with TCR

Jim Edwards Jnr's BTC Honda Accord will no longer be run by Total Control Racing.

Jim Jnr's car suffered total brake failure in the Sprint race, followed by large amounts of petrol leaking into the cockpit in the Feature race at Oulton Park on August 25th.

After a similar case of petrol leaking into the cockpit, at the previous race at Croft, Jim said, "We have decided that for the sake of driver safety and reliability, changes need to be made. It is a real shame, as the reason for a long term handling problem was found just prior to the Oulton meeting and the pace of the car is now the best it has been all year, but I must have total confidence in a car to do my best with it".

Jim's sponsors are hopeful of making alternative arrangements for him to be able to compete in the final three meetings of this years Touring Car Championship
A real shame as things were starting to come together but sounds like a sensible choice. Just hope Jim gets something sorted out quickly. Maybe his old Clio Cup team Mark Fish Motorsport?
Old 2 Sep 2001, 12:38 (Ref:140042)   #2
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
didn't see that coming
Old 2 Sep 2001, 16:57 (Ref:140200)   #3
knowlesy59
Racer

Wales
WALES
knowlesy59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hopefully Jim can get something sorted for the last 3 rounds as he was just hitting form after his handling problems with the car.it would be a loss to the championship if he werent about for the remaindin races.(im a fan if u hadnt of guessed).
Old 2 Sep 2001, 18:12 (Ref:140241)   #4
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim Jnr w/James Kaye in the 2002 BTCT Barwell Honda? Just a thought.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 19:22 (Ref:140256)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How many blows has this years championship been through?

First Matt Neal, then Kurt Luby, and now Jim Edwards Jnr. I haven't missed anyone? I hope he sorts out a team to run the Accord soon. But is this split been caused by the fuel leak?
Old 2 Sep 2001, 19:51 (Ref:140266)   #6
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
I haven't missed anyone?
Toni Roukonen
Andy Neate
James Levy
Antonio Russo
Matt Kelly
Peter Cate
Dave Pinkney
Darren Malkin

Old 2 Sep 2001, 20:04 (Ref:140272)   #7
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two meetings now he has had petrol sloshing about in the car and now the brake pipe fails. I would be concerned with their level of safety.

It is such a pity as that car has suddenly come good and at Oulton Park he was 4th in both races before retiring. Hopefully his sponsors are backing him and realise that with the right man (Mark Fish?) he could be on the podium again.

As for Mark - he is back at Silverstone running a Clio for the first time this year under his own team.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 20:08 (Ref:140275)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes

Toni Roukonen
Andy Neate
James Levy
Antonio Russo
Matt Kelly
Peter Cate
Dave Pinkney
Darren Malkin

Last edited by touringlegend; 2 Sep 2001 at 20:11.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 20:26 (Ref:140286)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
As for Mark - he is back at Silverstone running a Clio for the first time this year under his own team.
Unless that is you count the Super Coupe Clio his was running at Rockingham today, along with the large pink blob that was once RickP's trust Renualt 5.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 22:56 (Ref:140341)   #10
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this year was a big experiment for everyone. And in that experiment, some have succeeded where others have failed. It's a shame so many have had to quit for one reason or another but fingers crossed we'll see them again next year in one series or another. I especially miss Toni Roukenon who is a smashing bloke and hope he gets a good drive next year.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 11:10 (Ref:141678)   #11
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jim will be back out... depends on the budget situation which may be a bit tight.
It is worth reflecting on my cars prepared by Mark Fish over the years (which is the standard Jim is used to as my team-mate last year) compared to the problems Jim has had this year...
In 2 and a half years of Super Coupe Cup, a year of 172 and the V6 I have had one mechanical failure (touch wood) when the turbo blew in the R5 (which is still going strong Reds, yes) but only after I had rejected Marks advice of a winter rebuild. Pretty impressive huh?
Jims car is considerably less complicated than the V6 which was as decrepit at the start of the year as the Accord and TCR have failed to fix an ongoing alternator problem, then the fuel leak, then the brake failure.
You can understand why he's had enough...
Think it would be unlikely to see Jim at Barwell in 2002 for cost reasons.
Of course the dream scenario for 2002 is to put the old firm back together, Jim and myself in the BTC run by Mr Fish.
Just got to find that sponsor...
Mark will be out at Silverstone running Peter Cate in a Clio 172 for the last 3 races of the year. My V6 will probably make a guest appearance in the awning for those members of 10-tenths who haven't seen it yet...
Rick
Old 5 Sep 2001, 12:13 (Ref:141718)   #12
Sandra R.
Rookie

Sandra R. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "Team" will all be there to have a nose at the V6. It would be great if you and Jim could get together with Mark in a Touring Car team next year. Fingers crossed for the sponsership.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 13:10 (Ref:141755)   #13
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does Jim still have his Maestro, I know it is a bit of a drop down, but could still compete in the final rounds of the MGOC series - at least he would still be out on track!!!
Old 5 Sep 2001, 18:58 (Ref:142010)   #14
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fingers crossed that Jim finds the cash and a team and gets out there again this season.

Fingers and toes crossed that Jim and RickP and Mark do manage something for next year.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 21:02 (Ref:142076)   #15
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by RickP:Clio51
...when the turbo blew in the R5 (which is still going strong Reds, yes)
Well, still going at least Bit more panel damage than when you left if Rick
Old 5 Sep 2001, 21:27 (Ref:142091)   #16
BTC-P fan
Rookie

BTC-P fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps we will see him at Silverstone in a different car? You never know, he may join the team that is currently leading the championship!
Old 5 Sep 2001, 21:46 (Ref:142105)   #17
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same car, I'm pretty sure of that!!
What Jim needs BTC-P fan is a company director to express their love of motorsport by making a small donation!

Kelvin
Old 5 Sep 2001, 21:49 (Ref:142109)   #18
BTC-P fan
Rookie

I'm not as sure as you are. Word is that he may be out in the Focus
as Richard Meins is not racing this weekend!
Old 5 Sep 2001, 22:11 (Ref:142124)   #19
outcast
Rookie

outcast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just read the same!...

...on btccpages.com. Is it true do you think?
Old 5 Sep 2001, 22:16 (Ref:142128)   #20
Kelvin
Veteran

Could be an option!!
But the Honda is I believe his own car, ideally he would I suspect be looking to finance a team to prep the Honda. If its not the Honda this weekend, then maybe it will be back at Donington. Jim promised me a call once it was finalized, no call, so all I can assume is that nothing is settled as yet.
We shall see in a couple of days!!

Kelvin
Old 5 Sep 2001, 22:23 (Ref:142132)   #21
Kelvin
Veteran

I read what BTCC pages have to say,
well I dont have one of Jims press relaeses yet,
so I wonder where the news cam from?

Kelvin
Old 5 Sep 2001, 22:27 (Ref:142135)   #22
BTC-P fan
Rookie

It's a good job that some people have other sources apart from press releases!
Old 6 Sep 2001, 11:41 (Ref:142401)   #23
AlrightTreacle?
Rookie

AlrightTreacle? should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCCPages are correct

Yep btccpages.com have it on their site. It's a damn good chariot he's got then. A race winning car.
Old 6 Sep 2001, 16:21 (Ref:142532)   #24
Kelvin
Veteran

BTCC pages have now retracted the story about Jim driving the Focus!!

Kelvin
Old 9 Sep 2001, 16:50 (Ref:144060)   #25
cdub
Rookie

cdub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
Two meetings now he has had petrol sloshing about in the car and now the brake pipe fails. I would be concerned with their level of safety.

It is such a pity as that car has suddenly come good and at Oulton Park he was 4th in both races before retiring. Hopefully his sponsors are backing him and realise that with the right man (Mark Fish?) he could be on the podium again.

"SEND THREE AND FOURPENCE, WE'RE GOING TO A DANCE !"