Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 15 Jan 2017, 23:26 (Ref:3702788)   #76
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is when you factor in people having to pay for the tunnel, you know the one that was paid for years ago, got rod of all the staff yet prices and queues remain!

I don't think it is anything to do with London as Oulton and Cadwell were the same prices. It is to raise the championship prize money I would think.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 08:59 (Ref:3702881)   #77
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
I had a moan about this a few years ago. The first year was free and the second year a fiver.
Yeah the first year was free, but hardly any of the circuit facilities were open: I had to queue for an age to get some breakfast in the Kentagon! I don't think Brands were expecting the interest level to be as high as it was that first year, everyone loves a freebie though!

I didn't mind paying a few quid the second year as there were a few more stalls open. Introducing a charge also thinned the crowd out somewhat. The price has climbed every year since and, on every subsequent trip I made, there were less areas to spectate from, so I stopped going.

I believe the latter issue has been addressed, so I should really give it a look again.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3702886)   #78
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You are pretty much penned off to be honest, there are areas built for the rally school youc an watch from, but last year they only really used the club circuit and paddock areas, while utilising the pit area outside Paddock.

It's not great for pictures of that is your thing, but you could get decent pics from the sides in some areas.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 10:02 (Ref:3702894)   #79
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
You are pretty much penned off to be honest, there are areas built for the rally school youc an watch from, but last year they only really used the club circuit and paddock areas, while utilising the pit area outside Paddock.

It's not great for pictures of that is your thing, but you could get decent pics from the sides in some areas.
Yeah, there were a few unobscured shots possible from the rally stage/paddock area the first year, but they were off limits from the second year onwards.

Most of the Brands Indy circuit is pretty poor for photos now: virtually all of the good spots have high fencing.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3702916)   #80
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the inside of Druids is open this year. I can't recall if that also has high fencing. Knowing Brands, it probably does (though makes little sense on the inside of a hairpin!)
Old 16 Jan 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3702919)   #81
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
I think that the inside of Druids is open this year. I can't recall if that also has high fencing. Knowing Brands, it probably does (though makes little sense on the inside of a hairpin!)
No high fencing at the apex at least, pretty sure.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 12:18 (Ref:3702920)   #82
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Yeah, there were a few unobscured shots possible from the rally stage/paddock area the first year, but they were off limits from the second year onwards.
Lets hope that the Desire Wilson viewing area is open as it was the first year, freezing cold but good viewing. I must confess I thought the rally school section was available for viewing for every event so far, I don't remember not being able to access that area? Hailwoods grandstand is pretty good but you need thermals!
Old 16 Jan 2017, 12:30 (Ref:3702922)   #83
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Yeah, the inside of Druids (and the short straight leading to Graham Hill bend) still has low fencing: there and the outside of Clearways are the only areas on the Indy circuit without high fencing now.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 12:49 (Ref:3702927)   #84
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Plenty of other areas particularly on South Bank where you can view straight over the top of the fencing.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 14:02 (Ref:3702943)   #85
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Plenty of other areas particularly on South Bank where you can view straight over the top of the fencing.
Too far away from the track for my little lens to get photos though!
Old 17 Jan 2017, 09:52 (Ref:3703098)   #86
Hickey1
Racer

England
Maidstone, Kent
Hickey1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advanced tickets were £12 (same price we paid last year). I think the action starts at 9am and goes on into the dark at around 5pm. How is that too much money?? Most of the stands were free to access last year with good views across the circuit and paddock area, albeit from a distance, and all the circuit facilities were open.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3703113)   #87
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Because you will pay a few quid postage I guess.

I realise it's not much when you factor in the amount of stuff going on.

But when you factor in fuel and crossing costs, it all adds up to a 50 quid day. I would rather spend it on something more worthwhile, warmer, more action.

And when you compare it to other rallies at other circuits, as the posts above state, it is a fair bit dearer.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 12:04 (Ref:3703120)   #88
Hickey1
Racer

England
Maidstone, Kent
Hickey1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year we were charged £1.99 for postage of 3 tickets. This year I just have an email with e-Tickets.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 12:07 (Ref:3703121)   #89
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The entry fee has gone up as well for this year (but to be fair I think entry fees are up for all events this year - insurance I guess). First car due at MTC1 at 8:50. Looking forward to it
Old 17 Jan 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3703151)   #90
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Same as Lydden then, they won't even post anything, you have to print out all your own stuff. Anything that takes cost away from them and puts it onto you.

Do they charge an admin fee too? I guess so. For nothing! lol

Entry fees I would think go up fairly routinely don't hey Bert?
Old 17 Jan 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3703153)   #91
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Entry fees I would think go up fairly routinely don't hey Bert?
They've been fairly static over the last few years (give or take £5-£10 maybe) but they do seem to have jumped recently (not just the MSN Circuit Championship events but across the board). It seems that the overheads have gone up (insurance mostly) - clubs have absorbed some of the rises but ultimately they can't run these events at a loss so the increased costs get passed on to the competitors.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 16:58 (Ref:3703184)   #92
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
I would rather spend it on something more worthwhile, warmer, more action.
Nah, don't think so. It might not be very warm but it sure fulfills the other two criterion! The South Bank old farts club members will be there in numbers well 4 at least!
Bloody hell Bert your on FB AGAIN! Friends in high office evidently!

Last edited by justracing; 17 Jan 2017 at 17:22.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3703340)   #93
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Bloody hell Bert your on FB AGAIN! Friends in high office evidently!
We're on the Kent Sports News site too

Looks like being cold but dry on Saturday - ideal!
Old 18 Jan 2017, 19:05 (Ref:3703416)   #94
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
We're on the Kent Sports News site too

Looks like being cold but dry on Saturday - ideal!
Are you guys doing the South Downs stages at Goodwood?
Old 18 Jan 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3703420)   #95
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Are you guys doing the South Downs stages at Goodwood?
Not this year - we've done it the past couple of years but are giving it a miss this year. We'll work out what our next outing is at some point after Brands (hopefully with a healthy car this time).
Old 18 Jan 2017, 20:38 (Ref:3703422)   #96
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Not this year - we've done it the past couple of years but are giving it a miss this year. We'll work out what our next outing is at some point after Brands (hopefully with a healthy car this time).
Best of luck, we'll stop by and say hello if you're not busy, need to keep on the move in these temperatures!
Old 27 Jan 2017, 09:38 (Ref:3705503)   #97
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We enjoyed our day out with our first ever class win (Car 43, Class A, red Nissan Micra).

I've only competed at Brands twice with a second and a first in class, Matt has had some other seconds there, and as a crew we've had a number of second and thirds in class at different events so to win it was very pleasing! Good picture and write up in MN this week too.

If anyone has any photos I'd be interested in seeing them, thanks.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 11:25 (Ref:3705532)   #98
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
We enjoyed our day out with our first ever class win (Car 43, Class A, red Nissan Micra).

I've only competed at Brands twice with a second and a first in class, Matt has had some other seconds there, and as a crew we've had a number of second and thirds in class at different events so to win it was very pleasing! Good picture and write up in MN this week too.

If anyone has any photos I'd be interested in seeing them, thanks.
Well done on the class win I did think you'd be in with a shout when we passed the Newtons parked up at Druids.

Our day was ruined somewhat by power steering issues - it sometimes worked, it sometimes didn't - often changing its mind halfway through a corner which made life interesting. Martin said that it was the hardest he's ever had to work in the car. We changed a few bits to try and cure it but whatever the problem was is still there now. Given that the problem wasn't going away we just used up old tyres and concentrated on getting to the finish without taking any big risks. Still good fun from my seat though

I haven't been sent any proofs of photos through yet - normally we get them pretty soon after the event but nothing so far.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 19:16 (Ref:3707879)   #99
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Our day was ruined somewhat by power steering issues - it sometimes worked, it sometimes didn't - often changing its mind halfway through a corner which made life interesting. Martin said that it was the hardest he's ever had to work in the car. We changed a few bits to try and cure it but whatever the problem was is still there now. Given that the problem wasn't going away we just used up old tyres and concentrated on getting to the finish without taking any big risks. Still good fun from my seat though
I noticed some head scratching going on in the paddock area so I thought best not to stick my nose in! Car still looked good though
Old 4 Feb 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3709413)   #100
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Coverage from Brands here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4sTrmU08mI

Not featuring us at all but we figured we wouldn't on there as we were off the pace and didn't have any eye catching 'moments' either.

One thing I didn't realise is just how far Quigley drove the Clio after damaging the front suspension, I assumed he'd hit the chicane on Paddock Hill.