Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 19 Aug 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3445374)   #451
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
I doubt Road Atlanta ever becomes a part of the Sprint Cup Schedule. I live 8 miles from that track and it and the surrounding areas do not have the infastructure to support a Sprint Cup size crowd. Traffic, alone would be a nightmare, of initial Kentucky Motor Speedway proportions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Now having a Chase race at Road Atlanta is something I would be all in on.
I think the elbow room is there to improve the road system to handle a NASCAR size crowd. My guess it would need 30 -50 million in improvements in and around the track.
The last race of the WEC at PLM proved to me that the facilities at Road ATL and the surrounding areas could handle a large influx of race fans; the track itself was busting at the seams on Saturday. A race ending Sunday would be no worse than any Cup race at AMS, IMO.

I still think its unlikely they'll give Road ATL a Cup race...I would love it if it did happen though.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 19 Aug 2014 at 12:11.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3445546)   #452
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really don't know -- NASCAR could easily handle whatever physical improvements there would need to be to the track, pits, grandstands, etc. They're spending, well ISC is anyway, but NASCAR owns this track, plus Sebring and Iowa, not ISC, 400,000 million on upgrades to Daytona right now and they aren't breathing heavy. But though there is allot of room in the surrounding areas, most of the roads are 2 lanes, there are also allot of neighborhoods it the area that would not want their taxes raised to support the upgrades, such as making roads 4 lane and other improvements. Hall County has pretty high tax millage rates and we really don't want to see them go up again! plus, there are not allot of hotels in the area, not enough to handle the normal 80,000 to 100,000 that the normal Cup race draws. You said it was packed to the gills the last race that you went to, but I doubt there was a Sprint Cup size crowd there. I heard 40,000+, 50,000 at the very tops and from what I understand road-racing tracks used combine averages over a X day for their attendance, which means that they count people 2 and 3 times, so again, I don't think they got a Cup size crowd.

I am not in favor of making a road-course to the chase, first, I'll say that I wish they would just drop the chase crap. Racing does not need or require a "play-off" system, this is not a stick and ball sport! Anyway, back on topic, road-courses are too much of a gamble/uncertainty. Too many oppertunities for a contender to get taken out by someone elses problems. I don't like them on the schedule, period, but I especially oppose them in the chase! Talladega, yeah, I know it's in the chase, and I feel the same way, it shouldn't be, for the same reaason, too many chances for contenders to get caught up in someone elses problems! I'd prefer they move Talladega to one of the races leading up to the chase.
Old 20 Aug 2014, 01:45 (Ref:3445576)   #453
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
kiwi20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road Races are a gamble due to maybe being taken out by others???

Are you for real? Talladega, Daytona and all the other Ovals do that every week...
Old 20 Aug 2014, 09:01 (Ref:3445634)   #454
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi20 View Post
Road Races are a gamble due to maybe being taken out by others???

Are you for real? Talladega, Daytona and all the other Ovals do that every week...
I said that Talladega is just as much of a problem, for the same reason and that, though it is in the chase, I don't think it should be in the chase either. Restrictor plate tracks (Daytona and Talladega) and road-courses have more accidents, per race, than the other races on the schedule. On plate tracks, the cars do not have the throttle responce to allow them to pull away from the pack. When an accident occurs (the big one) it tends to be multi-car and numerous cars get taken out by the accident. Witness this past July's race, at Daytona. Road-courses, the same, more accidents than the other tracks on the schedule! I personally, don't like road-racing/road-courses and if I had my preference, they would be removed from the schedule, however one person's desire is not going to effect a change on this or any other racing schedule. Leave them on the schedule, (since I have no say so on the matter) but keep them and the restrictor plate tracks out of the chase! Note: yes you can have multi-car pile-ups on any track, but the likelyhood of having one of the huge carnage "big ones" is not as great as at the restrictor plate tracks or on road-courses. I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this issue.
Old 21 Aug 2014, 01:56 (Ref:3445868)   #455
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
I said that Talladega is just as much of a problem, for the same reason and that, though it is in the chase, I don't think it should be in the chase either. Restrictor plate tracks (Daytona and Talladega) and road-courses have more accidents, per race, than the other races on the schedule. On plate tracks, the cars do not have the throttle responce to allow them to pull away from the pack. When an accident occurs (the big one) it tends to be multi-car and numerous cars get taken out by the accident. Witness this past July's race, at Daytona. Road-courses, the same, more accidents than the other tracks on the schedule! I personally, don't like road-racing/road-courses and if I had my preference, they would be removed from the schedule, however one person's desire is not going to effect a change on this or any other racing schedule. Leave them on the schedule, (since I have no say so on the matter) but keep them and the restrictor plate tracks out of the chase! Note: yes you can have multi-car pile-ups on any track, but the likelyhood of having one of the huge carnage "big ones" is not as great as at the restrictor plate tracks or on road-courses. I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this issue.
Yeah, let's just run on 1.5 mile "cookie cutter" tracks. That's exciting.
Old 21 Aug 2014, 04:18 (Ref:3445889)   #456
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Yeah, let's just run on 1.5 mile "cookie cutter" tracks. That's exciting.
Sarcasm noted.
Old 21 Aug 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3446000)   #457
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Official, but no images yet:

Quote:
Edwards to Joe Gibbs Racing in 2015: Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) announced that Carl Edwards will join the organization in 2015 to compete full time in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. In addition, ARRIS Group, Inc. will sponsor Edwards in the #19 Toyota Camry for 17 races in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series with JGR expanding its operations to include a fourth team. "This is one of the biggest days in Joe Gibbs Racing's history," said Joe Gibbs, founder and owner of Joe Gibbs Racing. "To be able to bring a driver the caliber of Carl Edwards on board to launch our fourth team is just a thrill. But we also have the opportunity to announce a new partner in ARRIS that will not only sponsor Carl, but also share a vision with Carlos Slim Domit and Escuderia TELMEX to develop Mexican and Latin American drivers in NASCAR. We are excited to have Daniel Suarez as part of that program and look forward to watching his development in the NASCAR Nationwide Series next season."
A Missouri native, Edwards is currently eighth in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings with two wins, five top-five and nine top-10 finishes thus far this season. Over the course of his 11-year career, he has won a total of 23 races with 106 top-five and 182 top-10 finishes. In addition to his 23 Sprint Cup Series wins, he has also compiled 38 wins in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and won the championship in 2007. His highest finish in the Sprint Cup Series season was in 2011 when he was runner-up to Tony Stewart based on a tiebreaker.(Joe Gibbs Racing)
AND from the NASCAR.com streamed press conference: Arris will debut on the #19 Toyota at Daytona in February. Joe Gibbs said the crew chief will be announced at a later date and mentioned most of the team will come from within Joe Gibbs Racing. Gibbs also said that sponsorship for most of the other 19 races that ARRIS will not be the primary sponsor have been sold and will be announced at a later date. Rumor is that Subway will move over to JGR with Edwards and that was the only sponsor allowed to leave Roush Fenway Racing with Edwards.(8-19-2014)
Old 21 Aug 2014, 18:09 (Ref:3446043)   #458
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As it did for Kennseth, the move to Gibbs will breath some life back into Edwards' career.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 06:31 (Ref:3446439)   #459
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Chase is screaming for a Road Course, i see no reason why they couldn't visit "The Glen" again, they run at Pocono twice in a very short time period and that seems to be a non issue.

It's the better of the two current elected courses that provided exciting finishes every time.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 01:01 (Ref:3446709)   #460
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A lot of action so far.

Harvick takes out Hamlin while battling for the lead! And Junior got caught too.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3446904)   #461
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
The Chase is screaming for a Road Course, i see no reason why they couldn't visit "The Glen" again, they run at Pocono twice in a very short time period and that seems to be a non issue.
I'd prefer Road America in June and Sonoma in the Chase.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 23:10 (Ref:3447076)   #462
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
As it did for Kennseth, the move to Gibbs will breath some life back into Edwards' career.
Will they be allowed to punch on by Coach when part of the same team?
Old 27 Aug 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3447963)   #463
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
60% chance of rain for Sunday night in the ATL.

Take that Bruton!
Old 27 Aug 2014, 12:07 (Ref:3448119)   #464
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Double header with N'wide and Trucks on Saturday
2015 Atlanta. That might be a ticket to consider.
Plenty of room,(if) a nice day, easy in and out, yep
I will put that on the 2015 race budget.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3448467)   #465
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I'd prefer Road America in June and Sonoma in the Chase.
Or Montreal
Old 29 Aug 2014, 11:59 (Ref:3448821)   #466
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Jayski sez Stewart is back this weekend.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3448839)   #467
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....and I'd prefer Laguna Seca to any of them.

Cup cars going through the Corkscrew-now there's a thought!
Old 29 Aug 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3448929)   #468
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's some big news about Tony.

Mike Helton: Tony Stewart will be eligible to race the Chase if he earns a spot with a win at Atlanta or Richmond.

I think it's the right move. But both NASCAR and Tony will receive backlash no matter what they do.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 01:53 (Ref:3448975)   #469
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Mike Helton: Tony Stewart will be eligible to race the Chase if he earns a spot with a win at Atlanta or Richmond.

I think it's the right move. But both NASCAR and Tony will receive backlash no matter what they do.
Gotta disagree. The rules should be the rules, period. Helton and Ca$hcar look like idiots.

BTW, Harvick on pole.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 09:49 (Ref:3449033)   #470
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Gotta disagree. The rules should be the rules, period. Helton and Ca$hcar look like idiots.

BTW, Harvick on pole.
I agree. The rules should be followed. Good for him to get back in the car, but not right, if he is allowed to compete for the title. Bad call by NASCAR!
Old 30 Aug 2014, 16:48 (Ref:3449090)   #471
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The entire chase thing is a gimmick anyway - so Stewart getting a shot doesn't faze me.
Old 31 Aug 2014, 02:46 (Ref:3449159)   #472
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The entire chase thing is a gimmick anyway - so Stewart getting a shot doesn't faze me.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you!
Old 31 Aug 2014, 23:57 (Ref:3449363)   #473
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless I missed something, he hasn't been convicted by anyone with Authority, only the armchair experts and keyboard warriors.

Until such time, he should be allowed to race as long as his head is in the right place (as much as his can be anyway)
Old 1 Sep 2014, 01:09 (Ref:3449372)   #474
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Unless I missed something, he hasn't been convicted by anyone with Authority, only the armchair experts and keyboard warriors.
Until such time, he should be allowed to race as long as his head is in the right place (as much as his can be anyway)
Uh, we're talking about missing 3 races and being able to make the chase. "The Rules" say you have be in all the races to be able to make it. That's all.

On Atlanta tonight, better crowd then I thought. Looks likes it's the best in years.

Too bad it will be about 1/3 of that for the March 1st next year.
Old 1 Sep 2014, 03:46 (Ref:3449393)   #475
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
^ this. And he didn't get in tonight and likely won't at Richmond.

They are dragging this one out tonight for all its worth. And yes, HJJ, decent looking crowd.