Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Sep 2015, 20:36 (Ref:3577083)   #1
Mosport Fan
Rookie

Canada
Sydney Australia, formerly Canada
Mosport Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sydney 500 advice for a newbie to V8's

Hi all

Shortly I'll be on the way to Australia as I have been offered a role out there.

I come from "Allan Moffat" country originally but have lived in Europe for quite a few years.

Unfortunately I'm in the air while the Bathurst 1000 is on but I hope to make it out there for the 12 hours in February. Fortunately I will be able to make for the season-ender at Sydney however.

I was hoping for some advice for tickets/seating for this. Are the roving fanstands worthwhile, or is a proper grandstand seat better?

Looking forward to enjoying the Aussie motorsport selection.
Old 26 Sep 2015, 05:46 (Ref:3577140)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I work at the Sydney Olympic Park and Sight lines are terrible. General Admin areas are horrible so would strongly suggest a proper grandstand seat.

Don't go if you wish to be able to watch more than one 90degree corner at a time.

Lock yourself in for the 12 hour in 2016.
Old 26 Sep 2015, 09:18 (Ref:3577153)   #3
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Better off viewing it on TV, its that kind of place.
Old 26 Sep 2015, 11:23 (Ref:3577163)   #4
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Just a warning-our maple syrup is probably not up to standard, bring your own.

In all seriousness Sydney doesn't sound very spectator friendly compared to the other street tracks such as Clipsal and Townsville. Maybe save your money for Clipsal or even the F1 next year? V8s will be at Albert Park and they're good to watch there from a spectators point of view, you can get up quite close to them.
Old 26 Sep 2015, 12:03 (Ref:3577167)   #5
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have been to all the Sydney 500's.A Grandstand seat is essential as the GA viewing is pathetic.I think it is definitely worth the extra to get a seat in a covered stand as both heat and rain can be extreme and it is false economy to get sunburnt and drenched to save $100 if you can afford the extra.I have sat in Chicane West Stand 13 and recommend it although the stand at Turn 1 would be OK too.
Old 26 Sep 2015, 12:33 (Ref:3577170)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its very nice above the pitlane in the corporate hospitality suites too.. now that they have air conditioning.. Sydney in December is usually hot..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Sep 2015, 04:43 (Ref:3577329)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'll share my advice, there are a number of posters in this forum who have been very anti the Sydney 500 since it was announced, Be weary in listening to their opinion becasue it will be negative no matter how awesome the event might be.

I havent been to the Sydney 500 but at other street races i have been too pit straight grand stands are usually the best, (but often there are other grand stands in good spots. Grandstands are usually built in popular spots, because they are good spots) Alan 52 seems to have some good advice on this

Often with non grandstand spots, they get taken early so you have to get there early to reserve a spot, which can disappear if you go for a walk.
Grandstand seats allow you to go for a walk and check out the track and have a base to come back to.

Having said that. Clipsal in March is awesome
Old 27 Sep 2015, 23:46 (Ref:3577624)   #8
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I'll share my advice, there are a number of posters in this forum who have been very anti the Sydney 500 since it was announced, Be weary in listening to their opinion becasue it will be negative no matter how awesome the event might be.

I havent been to the Sydney 500 but...
And there are some who will crow from the highest point that everything is awesome about V8SC when it isn't.

I have been to 3 of the Sydney 500's, and as Alan52 says, get a covered grandstand ticket. Everything else is just wasting your money. There are maybe 4 General Admission spots around the track with a decent view of cars where there will be the opportunity of seeing some action without getting a sore neck even before sunburn comes into the equation, and these spots are usually gone quickly and/or are over the shoulders of the safety crews - and you will be standing all day. Also you are looking through the catch fencing just about everywhere that is not in a grandstand or corporate box (or looking over the safety crews shoulders).

Personally I think you will see more action in the grandstands at Turn 1 or 2/3/4/ than you will on the pit straight grandstand. Turn 2/3/4 stand also has a bigscreen opposite to see what's happening/happened elsewhere on the track

Passing:
Turns 1, 2/3/4, 6, 8, 9 & 11

Crashes:
Turn 2/3/4, Turn 6, 8, 9, 11

Photo opportunities (not from a grandstand):
Through the catch fencing hole next to the remote TV camera at Turn 7 on the outside, Over the fencing by standing on some concrete blocks or through the fencing back towards Turn 10 from along the escape road at Turn 11, through the fencing at 10 back as they come out of 9, Side on (you have to be quick) on the inside at pit entry/Turn 13, or the rear of the cars as they exit 1 on the outside.

If you do go, make sure you get access to the V8 paddock building (not included in general admission), quite a good thing to watch the goings on in there, and its air con'd!

Also, catch the train or expect a long walk from a parking area (potentially in 35+ degrees and/or torrential rain).

If you have the chance to get a room in the Novotel that overlooks the track, that could also be a great option...

Here's a map to explain what i've been going on about:
http://d508o84lonf06.cloudfront.net/...ts-Map-V51.pdf
Old 28 Sep 2015, 01:50 (Ref:3577652)   #9
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been to most Sydney 500s too, whatever you do, get a grandstand ticket particularly as a large chunk of the track is now off limits to fans (including one of the best chicanes to spectate at. Everywhere for GA tickets is pretty ordinary viewing. And DEFINTELY get paddock access, if for nothing else to beat the heat for a while in the air conditioned shed.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 03:51 (Ref:3578203)   #10
Arallad
Rookie

Arallad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if you have been there but a parallel in Canada would be Triois Rivieres although Triois has much better lines of sight. Not sure if they still let you linger on the foot bridge at turn 2 there but you could see who was good and who was not and what cars worked and didn't. Also, the pits were open as well !!!
If you had to chose go to the 12 hour and try and get there a day early so you can drive the track and then get a good spot on the mountain, e.g Reid Park.
Old 4 Oct 2015, 19:46 (Ref:3579547)   #11
Mosport Fan
Rookie

Canada
Thanks for the advice everyone. Guess I really need to think this one out. Definitely in for the 12H next Feb and would like to try and get a few V8 rounds in, even if it means flying away for some.
Old 4 Oct 2015, 20:53 (Ref:3579570)   #12
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How long are you here for mate?
Old 5 Oct 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3579812)   #13
Mosport Fan
Rookie

Canada
It's a permanent job on a 457 visa (which allows 4 years). I guess provided everything goes well, than I'll be swapping citizenships
Old 5 Oct 2015, 22:45 (Ref:3579852)   #14
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Aah nice, and welcome.

Do Clipsal then, thats easy, its the best atmosphere for a street race in the country. Just get the right seats!