Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Closed Thread

Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2124102)   #26
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I read in Miller's piece, Edmonton and Surfers would also be included. As for Laguna, CC gave it up once for San Jose anyway.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2124107)   #27
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine
My only beef with this is it sounds like it would be Long Beach + IRL schedule. If thats the case I'll stop following if we don't see classic CART tracks like Laguna, RA, Cleveland and Toronto
I'm quite sure best CCraces will be retained
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2124109)   #28
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
this is going to be fantastic if it happens
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2124113)   #29
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder what CC races will be dropped, and what ones will become IRL races? Does this mean the "new" IRL is coming to Spain, etc? Will we see a massive schedule this year of all the IRL races plus the CC races that don't clash?

This is all very exciting.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:54 (Ref:2124115)   #30
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This has to be the time to do it. A lot of races will lose out, but getting a single unified field with a single (largely American) direction is vital. I'm not sure it can even wait another year. Losing the Panoz cars would be a shame - maybe a ballasting system can be arranged to allow those to race against the Dallaras on the road/street courses, maybe alongside the same teams' regular Dallaras? I doubt Motegi will be a sticking point - Honda have far more to gain from the merger than they would have from moving or even cancelling this race. Alternatively, why not Suzuka?
Old 8 Feb 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2124133)   #31
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surfers Paradise just got interesting again!
Old 8 Feb 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2124137)   #32
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
I wonder what CC races will be dropped, and what ones will become IRL races? Does this mean the "new" IRL is coming to Spain, etc? Will we see a massive schedule this year of all the IRL races plus the CC races that don't clash?

This is all very exciting.
The Miller article claims that;

Quote:
Additionally, the Champ Car races at Long Beach, Edmonton and Surfer’s Paradise, Australia would be added to the ’08 IndyCar Series schedule.
Maybe more back in 09', but I doubt they would be anything but core events... Road America, maybe Toronto back... can't think of much more....
Old 8 Feb 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2124149)   #33
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
The Miller article claims that;

Maybe more back in 09', but I doubt they would be anything but core events... Road America, maybe Toronto back... can't think of much more....
Agree, its going to take a season or two to sort everything out.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 8 Feb 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2124151)   #34
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
... Losing the Panoz cars would be a shame - maybe a ballasting system can be arranged to allow those to race against the Dallaras on the road/street courses, maybe alongside the same teams' regular Dallaras? ...
This hypothesis is not viable, given the extremely short time between now and Homestead
Old 8 Feb 2008, 14:38 (Ref:2124153)   #35
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
Agree, its going to take a season or two to sort everything out.
I reckon in a couple of years the unified Indy series will have a helluva calendar
Old 8 Feb 2008, 15:41 (Ref:2124195)   #36
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I`m gald I went to Sebring. Those cars were cool.

Anyhow, if Paul Newman is happy, so am I.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2124203)   #37
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is fantastic news, really hope it's going to happen.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 16:18 (Ref:2124218)   #38
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Latest article paints a less rosey picture.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...l.merger.0498/
Old 8 Feb 2008, 17:22 (Ref:2124253)   #39
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's an annoying thing, if Honda don't want to move dates they could easily hold it at Suzuka ...
Old 8 Feb 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2124256)   #40
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curt Cavin's report

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0107/802080490

Quote:
But George, who will be accompanied on the Japan trip by IRL presidents Terry Angstadt and Brian Barnhart, said today that he doesn't want to get too optimistic that a deal could be reached.
"Because it seems that every time we've been close, some new obstacle seems to get in the way," he said.
Champ Car co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven stressed that no offer has been made from either series and, therefore, no deal has been agreed to, as has been reported on the Internet.
"I sent Tony a text (message) last night to find out what is going on," he said.
Quote:
International Speedway Corp., which owns several tracks that host races on the IRL's schedule, recently refused a request to move the April 27 race at Kansas Speedway in order for the Japan race to take that date.
Depends what happens but Toronto clashes with the IRL date at the ISC owned Watkins Glen as well, and if Toronto goes for one year, you can be damn sure that it won't come back ever
Old 8 Feb 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2124258)   #41
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
Latest article paints a less rosey picture.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...l.merger.0498/
I think Honda will be swayed by the idea of having a grid of ~30 cars later in the year rather than having 18-odd earlier in the year.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 8 Feb 2008, 17:58 (Ref:2124280)   #42
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if KK doesn't know what's going on, he might check with his partners.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2124303)   #43
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is such a big DUH
it is even in autoweek now- never thought i'd hope this works out this way but it seems the only way-the spare cars from CC may go to Superleague or A1 i guess...
i don't wnat to losse the turbos but one series is better period
lets hope they fit either motor into the either chasssis.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...524211808/1065
Old 8 Feb 2008, 18:37 (Ref:2124307)   #44
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there's going to be BIG conflicts in any BIG merger. they'll figure it out if they are serious.

i too would like to see turbo Cosworths as well...i'm not to "up to snuff" on these cars, but would it be completely stupid to have a series of Cosworth/Panoz vs Honda/Dallara? if they could work that out, it would be very interesting, but i'm not sure it is even feasible.

and they have got to keep Laguna, Road America...but, some sacrifices must be made. 2009 should be awesome!

Long live Panoz!

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 8 Feb 2008 at 18:41.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2124322)   #45
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
this is such a big DUH
it is even in autoweek now- never thought i'd hope this works out this way but it seems the only way-the spare cars from CC may go to Superleague or A1 i guess...
SuperLeagueFormula have developed their own kit, it will probably sound the dog's reproductive organs with it's V12 4.2 unit which supposedly will get 750hp (more than a 2006 Sauber F1 unit!)... I'm not sure if that's exaggerated or not, but if it does it will be faster than GP2.

The car is built by Panoz, but it doesn't look like the DP01. It's called the DP09, if anyone cares. I think SLF has a good future ahead of it unless it is mismanaged, the cars sound good anyway.

As for A1, they've got a partnership with Ferrari and soon they should have basically a modified Ferrari F1 car.

Who else would want them ...
Old 8 Feb 2008, 19:17 (Ref:2124328)   #46
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I believe none of what I hear and half of what I see. (Who said that?)
It may be actually happening this time but I expect most of the combining will not happen untill next year.
If races are cancelled (and it seems they will be CCWS races) look for breach of contract law suits.
Probably, if it happens at all, there will be some interchange this year with one series next year. IRL may want to drop some of their less well attended races next year in favour of good CCWS venues.
IRL are considering new cars in a year or so and the Panoz with mods for ovals might be the way to go. That way the current CCWS cars will not be junk and Panoz will have time to build sufficient cars.
Any way here is hoping.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 19:19 (Ref:2124329)   #47
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any compromise has its downsides, this one has the ugly Dallaras instead of the Panozes. Loses Toronto, Road America and Cleveland (three great venues) and implies that FTG has won.

All of these "losses" are worth undoing the damage cause by the split in the first place.
If it happens, I'll sing Hallejujah.

It's about freakin' time.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2124344)   #48
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I'll believe it when I see it but, if it happens, I don't care what races they have to drop or what cars they run, I'll just be delighted. Who cares if they run a pig ugly car for a couple of seasons or if we lose a race or two? The end result will be well worth it. It's always a shame to lose races, of course, but both series are on the verge of collapse on their own so we have to make sacrifices.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2124348)   #49
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I am not convinced about a merger for 2008.
It's all too rushed and I wonder if in fact TG is actually desperate to get a larger car count.
CCWS loses out in race dates/races and as has been mentioned their are potential law suits fronm contracts.

KK says there are advantages both ways for CCWS so it is far from a done deal. No letter of intent, just talk and rumours, plus a couple of significant hurdles to be overcome...
Walker makes the point that damage coasts are significantly higher in IRL and my guess is that a number of financially strained CCWS teams could miss a few races later in the season. I also think that taking only 3 races from the CCWS schedule is a negative and they are probably the races that TG would value, the rest he doesn't care about or they are ones that would cost CCWS a significant amount of money to run. I'm surprised Toronto isn't one of the races included in the schedule or maybe it is just too packed.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 19:51 (Ref:2124351)   #50
indycool
Veteran

I would think that contractual issues would certainly have been addressed already if it has progressed as far as it seems. There MAY not be that many contracts signed yet for '08 by CC, given the number of track rentals and co-and self-promotes. And if those races are not making money for CC or its promoters, the IRL isn't going to be interested in picking them up in a melding of the two. Also, if the melding, however it's done, is completed, CC can go Chapter 7 and people can sue all they want.
Closed Thread