Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 17 Apr 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2674439)   #1
JoshH
Rookie

JoshH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Superkart Project HELP!

Hi, I am a college student in my final quarter of school. For my Capstone project, I was given the task of researching, designing, and drafting a go-kart. We chose to do a version of a superkart. I am very excited to learn more about them, however I have been able to find very little in terms of assembly drawings and general dimensions. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here, but could use some pointers, pictures (primarily the front wheel assembly) and things maybe you all would like to see in a kart. I will be basically living on this site as long as the responses keep coming. I would appreciate the help tremendously and Thanks to all in advance!!
Old 18 Apr 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2675326)   #2
JoshH
Rookie

Basically at this time I could really use some chassis dimensions and front wheel assembly pictures (close ups) Thanks!
Old 19 Apr 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2676033)   #3
bendy
Rookie

bendy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would take some pictures of mine, but I am at college! go to http://www.pvpkart.com/ and then "photo of kart" at the side, thats the best I could find. As far as chassis dimensions....look through Anderson, Jade, PVP, F1 chassis websites.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2681564)   #4
David Brand
Rookie

David Brand should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What class of superkart were you looking at building?

There's non-gearbox (used to be 100cc, now 125cc) and gearbox (125cc & 250cc).

They will be slightly different depending on the engine class - non-gearbox are based on sprint karts so have no front brakes and a lighter chassis, the 250cc have front brakes and a stiffer, heavier chassis.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2681642)   #5
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Josh, I'm assuming you're located in the UK ? If so, a Superkart is a 250cc Gearbox machine used to race primarily on long circuits - i.e. places like Silverstone, Cadwell Park etc...

If you visit UK Karting www.karting.co.uk and post a message for 'QuickOldTimer' or 'ITPro', they will be able to provide you better pointers to not only plans but details on the type of tubing and braizing to use and where to source it.

Some other places worth a look.

The British Superkart Club http://www.britishsuperkartrc.com/

The British Superkart Association http://www.superkart.org.uk/

The British Historic Kart Club http://www.britishhistorickartclub.com/

What I'd do if I were in your position is to go out and buy an old gearbox chassis. You can keep your eye open for one on eBay or place a wanted ad in one the sites above. I'd also take a trip to a long circuit kart meeting to see the karts in action, meet the people etc... You'll glean a ton of information if you go about things that way and it will short-circuit your route to getting the project done well.

[Mods : I know I've posted the addresses of sites that contain forums etc... here and that's against 10-10th rules. Its purely to help this guy out with his project... no malice intended]
Old 1 May 2010, 02:20 (Ref:2682500)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No worries Davey, I follow your posts there with interest anyway.

Josh Ive got an old gearbox chassis you can have for measuring etc if you wish. Not many components left on it but hey if you can make use of it.
Old 9 May 2010, 18:09 (Ref:2687396)   #7
JoshH
Rookie

Thanks for the last few posts guys. I am actually located in the states and karting isn't as big here. The next race that I could find close to me was a couple weeks after I graduate. I only have 4 weeks of school to go and have done what I could. I know that most of my dimensions are inaccurate but oh well. I am designing a 250 class with a Honda RS 250 engine. Impossible to even find good pictures of the engine. 11 weeks just isn't enough time to research, design, and render this project... oh well. Thanks to all 4 of you who responded