Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 17 Oct 2011, 08:01 (Ref:2972476)   #51
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard the tragic news.

Totally stunned by this - Rest in Peace Dan.

Taken from us far too early - my thoughts are with his friends and family.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2972493)   #52
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
A tragic end to the life of a great driver and sportsman, who was a marvellous ambassador for this country's talent in motorsport. RIP Dan and I'm sure that all our thoughts are with his wife, children and family.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2972506)   #53
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whether we race ourselves, we officiate, we commentate, we sponsor, we car own or we spectate, we can't help but feel hurt when motor racing loses one of it's own. What we do and what we love IS unique, it IS dangerous and it ISN'T for everyone. They are just some of the reasons that we're all part of one big family even though not everybody outside our world understands the attraction. Whether you're driving a Junior Sedan at Ellenbrook, a Sprintcar at Warrnambool or winning the Indy 500, you're one of US. And that's why it hurts so bad today. Because we lost one of our own...
-Wade Aunger

I can't claim credit for these words, but I think they express how everyone is feeling.

RIP Dan.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2972546)   #54
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Dan.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 10:21 (Ref:2972552)   #55
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Whether we race ourselves, we officiate, we commentate, we sponsor, we car own or we spectate, we can't help but feel hurt when motor racing loses one of it's own. What we do and what we love IS unique, it IS dangerous and it ISN'T for everyone. They are just some of the reasons that we're all part of one big family even though not everybody outside our world understands the attraction. Whether you're driving a Junior Sedan at Ellenbrook, a Sprintcar at Warrnambool or winning the Indy 500, you're one of US. And that's why it hurts so bad today. Because we lost one of our own...
-Wade Aunger

I can't claim credit for these words, but I think they express how everyone is feeling.

RIP Dan.
Thank You for posting that, it does seem to sum up what I'm feeling, I work in Motorsport, I love the job, but I hate the gut wrenching feeling when you see a major incident and don't know the condition of those involved, whether they are drivers, marshals, team members or trackside support personnel.
To my shame, I only knew the name Dan Wheldon, not the person, but still hurts to lose somebody in this industry.
My thoughts go out to all that were close to him especially his family.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2972557)   #56
Gordon Knight
Racer

England
Monton, Eccles, Manchester
Gordon Knight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lewis View Post
I first met Dan in a gravel trap at Shell corner at Oulton Park. He was driving a Formula Ford in qualifying and had found the limit. We managed to push him out and he got going again. He thanked us on his slow down lap and the next day he won the race. When I chatted to him in the paddock later that day he thanked us profusely. I'll never forget that.

A great talent and a nice guy.
I was with you that day Ian. Think it was 1994 and Dan was driving a Formula Vauxhall Junior. Remember him almost stopping on the slow down lap to thanks us.
Yet another tragic loss. My thoughts are with his family,team & friends at this sad time.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2972559)   #57
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Words are futile at trying to express my sadness at the loss of such a young talented driver who was a true ambassador for what is great in Motorsport. My thoughts and condolences go to his wife, children, family and friends.

RIP Dan you will always be remembered.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2972586)   #58
MMC Andy
Racer

England
Newmarket
MMC Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having spent the day racing rather slowly at Rockingham yesterday, we were reflecting on just how good (& brave) the Nascar and Indy car drivers are to face those walls lap in / lap out, at over 200mph. Hanging on in the Alfa at 110mph was bad enough. How tragic then, that one of the UK's finest sportsmen lost his life on an oval on the very same day.
A true champion, who took on the locals and beat them hands down in 2005 and then only this May, won the US's greatest race for a 2nd time. A fantastic achievement that was never given the correct / full attention by the UK media.
Like many others on here, we didn't know Dan, but followed his progress, and praised his achievements, and recogonised talent & spirit in this great sport of ours.

Our thoughts are with his family, and his many friends in the US & the UK.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 11:52 (Ref:2972598)   #59
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching that incident reminded me of witnessing Greg Moore's death on live TV. Hoped i'd never see something that catastrophic ever again, but it's a cruel sport and a cruel world. It's quite something that no one else was seriously hurt in what looked like the most horrific crash in oval racing. US racing never gets the attention it deserves over here, only when things go horribly wrong. A great driver and great man, he'll be sorely missed by many.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 11:58 (Ref:2972602)   #60
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read/seen the Dailymail take on the incident, in my opinion there's too many photos of the incident, almost glorifying it...feel a bit, sick?

As others mentioned, it reminds me of Greg Moore, with the sheer force of the head-first incident.

The circuit has a lot to answer for, and the way that the car/roll-hoop detatched...well

Just feel, like everyone else extremely shocked...
Old 17 Oct 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2972608)   #61
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spider, I totally see what you mean about the daily mail. I don't think there really was the need to post that many pictures in that detail.

Rest in Peace Dan.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2972610)   #62
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So so sad for his family... I can only think of his wife Susie and their two kids. In a cruel twist of fait, Greg Moore's parents were visiting this race - one of the few they've been to since their son's death almost 12 years ago.

Sadly many believe this type of accident was long overdue - there were many similar close calls and no attention paid. Indycar must learn from this.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Oct 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2972635)   #63
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am absolutely shattered by this. Such a talented driver, an amazingly brilliant person, friend, husband, brother, son, and father. Godspeed Dan.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 17 Oct 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2972646)   #64
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Horrific chain of events has lead to the death of a great man. Rest in peace Dan and thanks for the memories. Deepest condolences to his wife & children, family and friends.
Thoughts are also with the all marshals, rescue/emergency services that were there. You did everything you could.
A very fitting tribute afterwards, thank you all
It's been a very sad day.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 14:37 (Ref:2972682)   #65
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought I would share a photo I took of Dan last year at Mid-Ohio:

Old 17 Oct 2011, 15:21 (Ref:2972696)   #66
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Dan

Sad watching it all unfold last night on tv.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 17 Oct 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2972716)   #67
Roger Lovelock
Racer

England
Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
Roger Lovelock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP DAN
Old 17 Oct 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2972758)   #68
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
RIP
such a tragedy. condolences to his family, friends, and well everyone connected to him and motor sports in general.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2972776)   #69
juliet
Rookie

England
Daventry
juliet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another son of motorsport lost, RIP Dan
Old 17 Oct 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2972788)   #70
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You opened up Indy to many brits in recent times. You are a true legend and will be missed very much. Rest in Peace Dan.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 17 Oct 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2972800)   #71
mattsmith
Rookie

England
Somerset
mattsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rarely get emotional when people I don't know personally have passed but this has hit me really hard.

I can't claim to have followed Dan's career until he started in Indycar and until recently he wasn't one of my favourite drivers but the way he behaved and the skill and determination he showed this year in a limited racing program that he probably wouldn't have chosen showed what a class act he was. Every time any one interviewed him, whether before or after his Indy win, he was smiling, friendly, cheerful and intelligent. The positive attitude and enjoyment he got out of driving any car was always evident.

I'm sure that his career would have gone on for much longer and his reputation would only have got larger and it is cruel that he was taken at this point. He was rapidly becoming a professional awesome guy for hire.

I hope that his family can take some solace from the obvious affection with which he was held and that they can get through this difficult time. They have lost more than any of us.

Rest in peace Dan. You were gone to soon and many will miss you.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2972802)   #72
Johansen2000
Racer

England
Leicester
Johansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally stunned when i heard the news this morning........ motorsport has lost a great talent. May he rest in peace

All our preyers are with his family and friends in this truely difficult time
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2972823)   #73
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RIP Dan.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2972852)   #74
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
Robert Morris has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Very sad news
R.I.P.Dan
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2972854)   #75
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Terrible to see such a horrendous crash, my deepest condolences to Dan's family and friends. This is a day I was starting to hope we would not see again.