Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Nov 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3473798)   #1
Oldskoolbaby
Rookie

Oldskoolbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help with an Ex Bill McGovern car...

With all the great knowledge on here I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on my mk1 Mini. Ive come to nothing but dead ends recently.
The car was formerly owned by Ryan Lee who raced it in the late 60's onwards. It was competed in the Wendy Wools sub 1000cc class and Kent Messenger class ammonst other things. It was a pretty high spec car sporting an Arden 8 port 999 with TJ injection etc. I bought it from his son, Jon, 10 years ago who now owns Lynx AE. Jon told me his father originally bought it off of Bill McGovern but in what state of tune (if any) I don't know. I initially thought Bill McGovern was an Imp man but it does seem he raced the odd mini from time to time before hand. I think the Lee family acquired it around "66 which is about the time Mr McGovern switched to Imps I believe.
I suppose at the moment I'm curious to know if there is any race history with it in Bill McGoverns hands as I'm trying to restore it back to its very earlier years of racing. It probably hasn't but I'll kick myself if I do something to it and find it has a more interesting past than first thought.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3473799)   #2
Oldskoolbaby
Rookie

This is the car as it currently stands before its resto
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12 Nov 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3474015)   #3
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi i cant help as to bill racing the mini but it may be worth asking on the imp club site as there is a few people on there that are intouch with bill and may be able to put you in touch

col
Old 12 Nov 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3474021)   #4
Oldskoolbaby
Rookie

Thanks Col. What Imp club/forum is best then. Will they mind if I log on purely to ask a question.

Many thanks

Brett
Old 12 Nov 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3474080)   #5
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.theimpclub.com/forum%20statement/ -would be a start - looks like you need to register to be able to post, but that's no biggie.

If you have any problems I'm a member there so give me a shout and I'll post on your behalf....
Old 13 Nov 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3474174)   #6
Loose end
Rookie

Loose end should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, Bill had a 1071 s in 63/64 before he drove emery imps, remember we always saw him racing in a jacket with pens in his top pocket,i think his mini was tuned by new tune from cambridge he then drove my dads cars.Peter Bevan
Old 30 Jan 2015, 15:38 (Ref:3499146)   #7
Dipster
Rookie

Dipster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flintstone Racing

I seem to recall Bill McGovern racing a red roofed silver 1293 Cooper S in the 60s. I also seem to recall that he once rolled it down Paddock at Brands. But it was a long time ago and I might be wrong........
Old 8 Feb 2015, 11:21 (Ref:3502848)   #8
Loose end
Rookie

Loose end should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mcgovern mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose end View Post
Hi, Bill had a 1071 s in 63/64 before he drove emery imps, remember we always saw him racing in a jacket with pens in his top pocket,i think his mini was tuned by new tune from cambridge he then drove my dads cars.Peter Bevan
photo of bill at paddock bend in the brands hatch book also found some photos on flickr
Old 22 Mar 2016, 15:46 (Ref:3625993)   #9
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea on the possible registration of the car?
Bill raced Minis along with my late father for Newtune (based in Cambridge) and they were slightly different specs, from memory one was 1071 and the other 1293.
I do still see Bill now and then, so I could ask him some detail if you need any further help?
Old 21 May 2016, 22:25 (Ref:3643519)   #10
Oldskoolbaby
Rookie

The cars registration was MMK 355C. It was also a lovely shade of metallic green during the early days of Ryan Lee's ownership so I only gather that it was like this when he bought the car. It would be fantastic to have McGoverns take on the car.

This is a video of the car in question. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXrxX4-WZTM&feature=share