Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 10 Feb 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1519590)   #26
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
whens it out richard put me down for one! who's publishing? do you need pics or help with pics?

For the record RAP is the authority on races run at Crystal Palace and helped a lot on my project - his will be fantastic. If you want to get the full story on the palace you need all three Parfitt, Me and RAP. At which point our expertise becomes redundant
Old 10 Feb 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1519656)   #27
Darren Galpin
Racer

Darren Galpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a race in 1900 at Narragansett Park (USA) in which Wridgeway was claimed to be "the champion of England" - I would guess it was based on the result at Crystal Palace quoted above.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1519723)   #28
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sam
Thanks for your comments. As you know my effort is very factual in style and therefore complements rather than duplicates yours. It is like the Formula 1 Register "Black Books" and Paul Sheldon has agreed to publish it. As such, the photographic content is very secondary to the data tables but the Two Volumes (yes - some 650 pages!) have about 90 photos so I am now Ok for photos thanks.

Darren
There was a race in 1900 at Narragansett Park (USA) in which Wridgeway was claimed to be "the champion of England" - I would guess it was based on the result at Crystal Palace quoted above.
Most likely because he was the holder of the Crystal Palace Brassard at the end of 1899, a trophy competed for 3 times during the year in the form of 1 hour races.

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1519781)   #29
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course in those days the US promoter would have wanted to big up the event and they tended to exaggerate achievements of drivers - this could be such a case as I think there was no English championship as such.

An aside does anyone know where the old Palace pots are? did the London Grand Prix Trophy end up in Thailand?
Old 10 Feb 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1519943)   #30
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my research (and some done by a 'friend') after April 4th 1924, when the RAC (British Motorsport's governing body) stopped issuing licenses to Clubs and individuals to run events on public highways, Brooklands and Shelsley Walsh were the only two places allowed to be used for motorsport events.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 06:37 (Ref:1520141)   #31
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...plus several lesser hillclimb venues, plus a number of straight-line speed trials, plus Southport beach
Old 11 Feb 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1520175)   #32
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brooklands and Shelsley Walsh were the only two places allowed to be used for motorsport events
Date was 1925 not 1924. After this date in 1925 events were held at Southport sands, Skegness Sands, Pendine beach, Madresfield, Lewes, Colwyn Bay (sea front I imagine) Blackpool sea-front, Herne Bay sea-front, East Cheddington (no details) whilst the Stalybridge DMC held events at an undisclosed venue. The point being that these were not on public roads. The sea-fronts may seem odd but these are usually owned by the local council and are not "public highways" even though traffic may be allowed to use them eg Brighton Madeira Drive.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1520291)   #33
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Uphill Racers

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey77
From my research (and some done by a 'friend') after April 4th 1924, when the RAC (British Motorsport's governing body) stopped issuing licenses to Clubs and individuals to run events on public highways, Brooklands and Shelsley Walsh were the only two places allowed to be used for motorsport events.
From Chris Mason's superb tome:

"So, in February 1923 the RAC announced, via a tactlessly high-handed missive to member clubs, that in future permits would be needed for 'closed' events."

Then later in the same chapter he comments about the start of 1924 "Both Hall (Sutton Bank) and Paul (Angel Bank) soon opened their winning accounts...". He then adds "Over 3,000 spectators flocked to Aston Hill on 17 May for the second major climb of the year,".

So that gives us Sutton Bank, Angel Bank and Aston Hill soon to be followed by South Harting, Spread Eagle, Caerphilly and Holme Moss which were part of a 53 event hillclimb season.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1520369)   #34
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Four wheels on RAC licences - but 'bikes continued at other venues . Also Trials continued during that period at places like Nailsworth Ladder. Bike racing returned to Crystal Palace in May 1927, cars returned briefly the following year (on the cinder speedway track - which the modern athletics stadium is built on top of, there are rumours that deep in the basement of the stadium a portion of the cinder track was preserved but if true is now forgotten about)

the 2 mile road racing course opened in 1937 for cars and bikes.