Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 9 Jul 2017, 11:55 (Ref:3749753)   #1
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA Formula 2 Silverstone 2017

time for a very quick turn around as the F2 cars have thier 3rd race of 6 in the month as cars hit the British venue
Old 13 Jul 2017, 17:47 (Ref:3750972)   #2
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So what's the deal with Prema then? Just clever engineering or something more?

During the practice session it was mentioned by the commentator that the other F2 teams are unable to understand how Prema can have such a strong one lap pace.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 20:21 (Ref:3751003)   #3
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No different to last year really, only this year they have arguably got the best driver in the best car.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 06:28 (Ref:3751086)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Callum Ilott in at Trident this weekend.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3751122)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm glad for him, he's a rising talent and like me a Hertfordshire lad
Old 14 Jul 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3751190)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Leclerc 3 tenths up in 1st practice yesterday!

Rowland strong as expected. He needs a win and at least another troublesome race for Charles to get back in the hunt.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3751198)   #7
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Leclerc 3 tenths up in 1st practice yesterday!
How about Leclerc 0.458 seconds up in Quali. No one can touch him for his 6th consecutive pole (equal with Vandoorne)
Old 14 Jul 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3751200)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
How about Leclerc 0.458 seconds up in Quali. No one can touch him for his 6th consecutive pole (equal with Vandoorne)
Wow!!!!!!
Old 14 Jul 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3751211)   #9
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Prema is undoubtedly the best car but Leclerc is the only one making it work, as i have said before, i don't rate Fuoco in the slightest though. Rowlands problem other than Leclerc is that i am beginning to wonder how good the DAMS is, as in he isn't annihilating Latifi and Latifi is up the sharp end more often than not which is pretty unexpected in my opinion.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3751229)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really? you don't rate fuoco? you've never mentioned it before

i asked in the other thread if prema still have the art engineer/s? that has been suggested as part of the reason why prema's cars are as fast as the art ones used to be.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 07:02 (Ref:3751360)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
really? you don't rate fuoco? you've never mentioned it before

i asked in the other thread if prema still have the art engineer/s? that has been suggested as part of the reason why prema's cars are as fast as the art ones used to be.
bella...
You're not suggesting that the Engineers ar more significant than the over sensitive tyres are you?! 😉
Old 15 Jul 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3751456)   #12
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Leclerc a second a lap faster than anyone else.

Now he has a problem, smoke/steam out of the engine cover!

No idea what the problem is, 5 laps later the car is still running, no more smoke/steam.

Now Leclerc loses a mirror, guys still setting fastest laps and going to win by miles, unless the smoke was from a fire extinguisher...?

Last edited by tux; 15 Jul 2017 at 14:43.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3751467)   #13
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Leclerc wins, right hand side of his car covered in oil
Old 16 Jul 2017, 08:26 (Ref:3751588)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Leclerc a second a lap faster than anyone else.

Now he has a problem, smoke/steam out of the engine cover!

No idea what the problem is, 5 laps later the car is still running, no more smoke/steam.

Now Leclerc loses a mirror, guys still setting fastest laps and going to win by miles, unless the smoke was from a fire extinguisher...?
Nitrous! The secret is out!.

I'm sorry but there is no way that car/driver combo is that much beter than the field. No way. Prema are onto.something that the others do not have. Or have not found yet.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3751590)   #15
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About time Rowland got done for his over zealous defence!
Old 16 Jul 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3751593)   #16
p-matt
Veteran

Quote:
Nitrous! The secret is out!.

I'm sorry but there is no way that car/driver combo is that much beter than the field. No way. Prema are onto.something that the others do not have. Or have not found yet.

Why is it so hard to believe? To be honest, it's Leclerc that seems to be making the difference - Fuoco is nowhere, and Gasly and Giovinazzi weren't that far ahead last year.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3751595)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
About time Rowland got done for his over zealous defence!
😀

Hmmm thought it was a little cheeky of him to diss Nato for something he is usually much more robust at!
Old 16 Jul 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3751596)   #18
p-matt
Veteran

Quote:

Hmmm thought it was a little cheeky of him to diss Nato for something he is usually much more robust at!

Thought the same. That's racing drivers for you!
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:26 (Ref:3751649)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Why is it so hard to believe? To be honest, it's Leclerc that seems to be making the difference - Fuoco is nowhere, and Gasly and Giovinazzi weren't that far ahead last year.
The body language of the car is different to the others for a start. I feel that in a series where the cars/ tyres are supposed to be the same it isn't possible for a driver to make such a huge difference. The Prema cars were often far ahead last year as well..

I am not saying there is cheating going on but that they have found something that works that the others have not. It was a similar story with ART before and a couple of other teams.

I do believe Leclerc is a super driver however. I am in no doubt.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3751655)   #20
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes good to see Rowland finally have the officials take a look at his driving, after forcing King clean off the track and then the same to Markelov. If Markelov had spun and gone into the wall, that's race ban aggression imo. Then the safety car restart, that's definitely not within the required 10 car lengths so should be another penalty coming. But he'll probably get away since he's a title contender. Amazing start though, he got that car perfect off the line. You can't say Rowland isn't trying to win this title.

He's a very fast driver, but yes as you mentioned cds, Rowland should be easily beating Latifi, but he's not. Latifi easily won race 2 while Rowland really struggled. Latifi struggled a lot more in race 1 but he did have a lot more traffic so I think struggled keeping the tyre life. The DAMS car must be the second best car out there, with the RT not far behind.

That other Prema though, Fuoco; 16th and not even close to anyone at all. How do you have two drivers so far apart in the car? C'mon already Prema put someone that can drive in the #2.

I look forward to De Vries not stalling on the grid one of these days, 20th to 7th is pretty good.

Canamasas; bloody hell it must be stressful for Rapax watching him, every time another car comes near him it's near crash. He just can't accept losing a position. 5th and 4th is pretty good, I just hope it doesn't keep him in the series haha.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 21:07 (Ref:3752015)   #21
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
correct on Rowland getting another pen but it was for impeding not the 10 cars length. 20 seconds more time added
Old 19 Jul 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3752881)   #22
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you put a phenomenal talent in a phenomenal package what else do you expect? Especially if there are no other phenomenal talent/package combinations on the grid?

And I mentioned it on another F2 thread re Rowland vs Latifi. Over the past 3 rounds Latifi has outscored Rowland 65-45.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 22:09 (Ref:3752902)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
If you put a phenomenal talent in a phenomenal package what else do you expect? Especially if there are no other phenomenal talent/package combinations on the grid?

And I mentioned it on another F2 thread re Rowland vs Latifi. Over the past 3 rounds Latifi has outscored Rowland 65-45.
Which proves beyond all shadow of doubt there is something not right with this category!

Rowland is infinitely better than Latifi.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 05:07 (Ref:3752966)   #24
p-matt
Veteran

Quote:
Which proves beyond all shadow of doubt there is something not right with this category!

Rowland is infinitely better than Latifi.

Just because you don't like the result doesn't mean that you trot out the F2 is rubbish line again. I've said before, F2 is a complex category with lots more variables than F3 or 3.5.

Rowland has his flaws - the over aggressive defending, inability to manage his tyres. Worse still, he's not showing capability of learning from his mistakes. The best drivers are the ones that adapt to whatever formula they're in; ultimately, Rowland's not quite doing that. We saw that too when he dabbled in Formula E a while back.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3753576)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Just because you don't like the result doesn't mean that you trot out the F2 is rubbish line again. I've said before, F2 is a complex category with lots more variables than F3 or 3.5.

Rowland has his flaws - the over aggressive defending, inability to manage his tyres. Worse still, he's not showing capability of learning from his mistakes. The best drivers are the ones that adapt to whatever formula they're in; ultimately, Rowland's not quite doing that. We saw that too when he dabbled in Formula E a while back.
F2 does not have much.more variables. Its all about setting the car up to make dodgy tyres last!

Rowland's is main flaw is hot headedness and he gets a bit rash when the bullshit tyres go off and all his hard work goes out the window but the guy has such natural talent. He doed need to work on maxxing set ups but if you don't have the right engineer or tyres then you ain't gonna win.

The current F2 is not an accurate and consistent barometer of talent. In 12 years how many times have the quickest/most talented drivers won it?

About half at most i reckon off top of my head i can think of:
Rosberg
Hamilton
Glock
Hulk
Grosjean
Vandoorne

A few decent ones came through having not won it but the rest were journeymen benefitting from the best team/engineer/ weaker field that season

In a one make series if you have artificial rules and too much emphasis on one element (in this case tyre enginnering!) it is bound to give a false representation.