Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20 Jul 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3108904)   #2401
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Burning martyr.
I don't understand what you mean Peat to be honest????
Old 20 Jul 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3108906)   #2402
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
That, given the choice, you would wait for the highlights seemingly out of some smug spite.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 08:05 (Ref:3108907)   #2403
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
That, given the choice, you would wait for the highlights seemingly out of some smug spite.
I don't have the choice on freeview and can watch on Sky Go if I wanted to anyway. The only smugness on here is from the likes of you mocking those who don't watch on the same channel as you. Go and find someone else to attack or take out your pity on.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 08:25 (Ref:3108914)   #2404
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Fair enough. I wasn't attacking.

But if you have access to SkyGo, why will you wait for the highlights? (assuming that you are not otherwise engaged)
Old 20 Jul 2012, 08:35 (Ref:3108919)   #2405
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Fair enough. I wasn't attacking.

But if you have access to SkyGo, why will you wait for the highlights? (assuming that you are not otherwise engaged)
That's the problem I have with Sky Go, I can't record anything to watch when I want to watch. I will be in Surrey until late Sunday afternoon so the highlights is my best option. Apologies for my tone, I just hate being in this situation.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 08:53 (Ref:3108923)   #2406
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
That's the problem I have with Sky Go, I can't record anything to watch when I want to watch. I will be in Surrey until late Sunday afternoon so the highlights is my best option. Apologies for my tone, I just hate being in this situation.
Ah ok. See, i thought you were going for the whole 'I could watch it live on Sky, but i will choose not to because of some falicy that it will give me the moral highground' which some people have adopted here out of some weird 'loyalty' to the BBC who have screwed them over. It's like stockholm syndrome!!

Enjoy Surrey. I suppose a small consolation now is that alot of people are in the same boat (with delayed highlights) and thus don't want to hear the result.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3108938)   #2407
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been an avid fan of F1 since my Dad took me to the British GP at Silverstone in 1960, race won by Jack Brabaham.

I have read all the comments in this thread, some of which got a bit lively, and not wishing to take any moral high or low ground on the subject, from my own personal point of view, I am still finding it a novelty to sit here on a Friday morning and be able to watch all the sessions live on a GP weekend. Will even take my ipad with me at lunchtime in case our lunch gets extended and have to stay on licenced premises to watch this afternoon.

The rights and wrongs of the current TV situation and the continuing argument of whether the Beeb does it better than Sky are valid points to discuss but, again on a personal basis, I just love what I am able to watch each GP weekend.

And with the weather set fair for a day or two, I may have to eat my ploughmans, sup my pint and watch the sessions from Germany under the shade of an umbrella in the White Hart garden. Happy days.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3108941)   #2408
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Ah ok. See, i thought you were going for the whole 'I could watch it live on Sky, but i will choose not to because of some falicy that it will give me the moral highground' which some people have adopted here out of some weird 'loyalty' to the BBC who have screwed them over. It's like stockholm syndrome!!

Enjoy Surrey. I suppose a small consolation now is that alot of people are in the same boat (with delayed highlights) and thus don't want to hear the result.
I have chosen the highlights in the past over watching live on Sky but not out of loyalty or to place myself on a moral high ground. I've made no secret I am not happy about the situation. Watching delayed is not a new thing for me. I'm married and usually rather busy ay weekends and sitting in front of the tv is usually low on my list of priorities. I used to record the races in full and watch them in the evening. I have got pretty good at avoiding the result over the years. It you don't know who won or what happen, the experience is still exactly the same. As you say there will be a couple of million people in the same boat as me this weekend.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3108991)   #2409
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I have chosen the highlights in the past over watching live on Sky but not out of loyalty or to place myself on a moral high ground. I've made no secret I am not happy about the situation. Watching delayed is not a new thing for me. I'm married and usually rather busy ay weekends and sitting in front of the tv is usually low on my list of priorities. I used to record the races in full and watch them in the evening. I have got pretty good at avoiding the result over the years. It you don't know who won or what happen, the experience is still exactly the same. As you say there will be a couple of million people in the same boat as me this weekend.
You are most certainly not alone here. Like you, despite being a huge fan of MotorSport I cannot afford the luxury of sitting down in the middle of a busy Sunday to 'Just watch some cars driving around and around' (to paraphrase how other family members view our sport!).
For the same reasons, I would not be able to afford the time to watch the many hours of build up (and aftermath), or the previous races and Legends programs that are also apparently shown on the dedicated Grand Prix channel. So unless Grand Prix racing remains on free to air transmissions, even if it means that the races aren't shown live (which is what used to happen on the BBC anyway when I was younger), I'll not be able to watch it anymore...
Old 20 Jul 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3109023)   #2410
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Like you, despite being a huge fan of MotorSport I cannot afford the luxury of sitting down in the middle of a busy Sunday to 'Just watch some cars driving around and around' (to paraphrase how other family members view our sport!).
Grow a pair, build a man-cave. They'll learn.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3109273)   #2411
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
When Sky go to the adverts and a young woman is channeling the spirit of Murray Walker...well it's starting to freak me out.

A small point I thought it important to bring to the table.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3109457)   #2412
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be interested if the Sky viewers think the content provided during the sky sports preview weekend is a lower, same or higher calibre than usual.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 14:17 (Ref:3109756)   #2413
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's doubtful it would be any worse than the australian coverage. We're stuck in the 70's/80's mentality of "nobody will identify with that british pair unless we give a hamfisted lead-in from an under-educated local commentator after every ad break".
Old 22 Jul 2012, 16:19 (Ref:3109814)   #2414
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
I'd be interested if the Sky viewers think the content provided during the sky sports preview weekend is a lower, same or higher calibre than usual.
I watched the preview and thought it was ok but qualifying wasn't as good as the BBC. They've got a better team, as far as I'm concerned and the whole presentation is just slicker.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3109852)   #2415
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've watched on freebie view with Virgin this weekend and I don't think Sky are anywhere near as good as the Beeb. Martin Brundle seems to have lost it on the grid walks and Damon Hill just doesn't cut it on TV.
Then there's all the repeats of each show they put on although there just isn't enough quality content to fill a 24/7 channel.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3109862)   #2416
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
isn't enough quality content to fill a 24/7 channel.
Without being criticised for showing other broadcasters footage (which Sky have been) how do they gain enough from 10 races to show 24/7 coverage?
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3109877)   #2417
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scores on the doors ratings wise?
Old 22 Jul 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3109908)   #2418
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Grateful for the chance to watch it live, but in a straight contest with the Beeb, I'd watch the Beeb.......presenters / commentators just seem better, to my mind...
Old 22 Jul 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3109944)   #2419
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good programme today. Fun Simon Seb interview. Roebuck feature was good. They keep finding footage I've not seen before. Closest to beeb coverage so far. On a par?
Old 22 Jul 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3109951)   #2420
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Without being criticised for showing other broadcasters footage (which Sky have been) how do they gain enough from 10 races to show 24/7 coverage?
I didn't necessarily mean show F1 24/7 but don't they have other races including some classic races as well that they could show? But that's my point they are trying to put on a 24/7 channel with content that struggles to fill 12 hours.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 20:26 (Ref:3109953)   #2421
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I didn't necessarily mean show F1 24/7 but don't they have other races including some classic races as well that they could show? But that's my point they are trying to put on a 24/7 channel with content that struggles to fill 12 hours.
Sky showed classic Silverstone races leading up to the British GP and were criticised for it (by the pro Beeb brigade) on this site, thats likely to be reflected on a larger scale too.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3109969)   #2422
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i prefer sky during the race because i really do like crofty's style of commentary. but i watched about 20 mins pre-race where they were just doing the pre-match game of two halves style football waffle about how exciting the race was going to be and it did my head in.

i like lee as a highlights programme anchor - she's got the right kind of... gravitas is the wrong word but she has a good strong presence on screen.

this is going to sound really girly (and possibly be a bit controversial), but i'd actually like to see her in heels and being a commanding excellent presenter but in a very feminine context. i think it's important to show it can be done - as a woman you don't *have* to act like one of the lads and wear flats and sensible boots when you don't need to. for all the flak she gets for the odd repetitive question - frankly guys, you try and think of other things to ask bored and frustrated racing drivers - she's a very very good sports presenter, particularly in the context of the fluff that sky promote to front all aspects of their coverage.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3109979)   #2423
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I watched the preview and thought it was ok but qualifying wasn't as good as the BBC. They've got a better team, as far as I'm concerned and the whole presentation is just slicker.
Quote:
I've watched on freebie view with Virgin this weekend and I don't think Sky are anywhere near as good as the Beeb. Martin Brundle seems to have lost it on the grid walks and Damon Hill just doesn't cut it on TV.
Then there's all the repeats of each show they put on although there just isn't enough quality content to fill a 24/7 channel.
Sorry I meant could the people who usually watch the race on Sky, comment on how the programme was. I was interested if they pulled out all the stops for this weekend.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3110016)   #2424
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
BBC and Sky are chalk and cheese. Budget and that superiority is built into the Sky contract means technically Sky will come up trumps.

It all comes down to your priorities. Some remark that all the extra layering with Sky is irrelevant to them as they lead hectic lives. I fall into that category. Personally, I like the more informal BBC approach although it's less 'efficient' than the slicker Sky package. Although, Jordan is a phenomenal scatterbrain, I've no real complaints about either teams but I do think there is legitimate controversy regarding value for money and sport being tucked behind prohibitive pay-walls.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 22:42 (Ref:3110037)   #2425
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
Sorry I meant could the people who usually watch the race on Sky, comment on how the programme was. I was interested if they pulled out all the stops for this weekend.

Did they pull out all the stops...Yes and No.

Yes, although somewhat detached and not relevant to today race, the James Hunt feature is one of the best features they have.
The Jim Clark feature was a nice touch.
The Simon and Seb feature has been described elsewhere as a bit ITV, but I didn't mind it that much.

Compared to other races, they didn't have their full on-screen team on-site with them.
Pinkham got married yesterday with Thomson in attendance, so obviously neither were there. Brookes from SSN replaced Pinkham without too much difficulties.
Georgie and her Sky Pad might have been used more over the course of the weekend had she been there.

Today was Anthony Davidson's first studio appearance since his accident. I don't know whether he would have been fit to travel to Germany if the Sky Pad was on-site. The audio delay to London was just one of those thing's that can't be helped, but wouldn't impress the first time Sky watcher.

In comparison to previous weekends, they were short in the commentary box and a pundit short as well, Alan McNish did the FPs on Friday but had other arrangements for the rest of the weekend. Herbert did the FP3 on Saturday before Brundle took over for the Qually and Race.
McNish had been punditing the previous weekends that he's been on after his commentary box stints, and Herbert had been on the Sky Pad.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky