Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 19 Feb 2007, 15:21 (Ref:1845569)   #1
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Circuits

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted a new track for a long time so I thought I'd bring to you (over time) a few designs I haven't yet showcased here at My Tracks yet. I've been viewing all of your works from afar and I've been very impressed with some of the stuff going on here. Keep it up!

1: Niki Lauda Circuit, Vienna, Austria

The NLC is a purpose built raceway in Donaustadt, the largest district of Austria's capital Vienna. Named after a Viennese hero, three times F1 World Champion; Niki Lauda, the circuit runs in a clockwise configuration and has ten official corners.

It's original design proposal featured a much longer track, which encorporated a banked turn (much like the final, Peraltada corner at Mexico City). Those plans were scrapped due to safety, land and financial restrictions, so a shorter route was devised using the same (albeit slightly altered) upper section, which I, the designer rather liked.

Here you can see the original plan;

Above: The Original Plan featured a banked turn (far right) which housed within it's confines the proposed pit/paddock complex. You will also notice an insanely quick first section, through two right handed kinks before heavy breaking into a 90 degree right hander.

Futher to this, there were plans for a short circuit too;

Above: This plan shows the original designs for a short circuit, which utilized only the first right kink after the start. After that, the cars take a series of quick right hand corners rejoining the circuit on the backstraight.

So, unhappy with these designs in general the design team and I, at the request of the FIA, started work on a new design making a focal point of the looping section at the top of the circuit. This is what I came up with;

Above: Here, can be seen the new circuit now situated in Donaustadt. It features a wider upper section, new lower section and an all round slicker design. It has a brand new, state of the art pit/paddock complex and is a pleasant mix of fast flicks, and opportunity riddled hairpins.

To showcase the change, here is a map on map overlay.

Above: Here we see the overlay, demonstrating the scale of change.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

UP NEXT: HAARLEM

Last edited by shambles; 19 Feb 2007 at 15:23.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 18:55 (Ref:1845690)   #2
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's back!

like the original, the speed definitely makes the corners a challenge, and your modern edit is pretty cool too, good mix of corners i think.
Old 21 Feb 2007, 01:00 (Ref:1846895)   #3
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any more comments from anybody before I post Haarlem?

It would be nice to get a few more opinions guys, good or bad, I'm not fussed.
Old 21 Feb 2007, 15:08 (Ref:1847335)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Call me a traditionalist but I like the original concept.

The Modern edit, is exactly the sort of thing that has been done to "classic" circuits. In terms of the modern edit I think it looks very good for what it is, but alas like in life it's not a patch on the original.
Old 21 Feb 2007, 15:17 (Ref:1847339)   #5
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
kivipallur92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like original the most , but the others are good too.

RIP Colin McRae (5 August 1968– 15 September 2007)
Old 22 Feb 2007, 15:36 (Ref:1848159)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me, too, I like the original version best. I second what SBF has said about edits of "classic" circuits in general.

And the original version is a ginger, whereas the modern version is not

I'm looking forward to seeing the entries to your series that are forthcoming.
Keep them coming.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1848227)   #7
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
I've took on board the comments you've made, and I've made a revision to the initial design, as I don't particularly like it too much;

I much prefer this, and to show the change, here is an overlay...

What do you think?
Old 26 Feb 2007, 09:58 (Ref:1851857)   #8
Yannick
Veteran

Your edit on the right allows for a larger paddock, which is something that helps in getting a Grand Prix. And your edit on the left increases runoff quite elegantly.
Old 24 Mar 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1875020)   #9
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Next Up; Shedden

This circuit is an old fashioned design, intended for single seater series' such as BF3, FPAudi, FFord etc etc. It's clockwise, with the tight hairpin being the first corner.

A lap of the track takes you through the first hairpin, which falls away steeply before rising again out of turn two (think Paddock Hill bend at Brands). The hill then climbs upto turn three, which leads out onto a backstraight. It's then upto an Eau Rouge type corner, before a massive right hander, which has a gradual decline on entry, and slightly steeper incline on exit, leading to a crescendo at the final chicane.

The circuit is situated in and around the Shedden Reservoir (Fictional), in the West Midlands of the UK.
Old 24 Mar 2007, 13:37 (Ref:1875043)   #10
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple, fast, nice elevationchanges..Love it!
Old 24 Mar 2007, 19:33 (Ref:1875176)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good simple circuit,
I might tighten the entry to the final chicane and open the exit onto the straight.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 14:08 (Ref:1878420)   #12
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I made a revision of the Vienna circuit. I connected the nice corners in a creative way, to make the circuit even more challenging. Keep the original pieces of track in place though, a few nice variants are possible!
Attached Thumbnails
viennarevision.bmp  
Old 28 Mar 2007, 16:59 (Ref:1878512)   #13
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
I made a revision of the Vienna circuit. I connected the nice corners in a creative way, to make the circuit even more challenging. Keep the original pieces of track in place though, a few nice variants are possible!
How would the last corner work with that deisgn? I think you would "drop" in to the banking...
Old 29 Mar 2007, 05:41 (Ref:1878899)   #14
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink
How would the last corner work with that deisgn? I think you would "drop" in to the banking...
Oomph, scary reminder of Fuji's old banking.

Although it could just be a unique thing where the turn would start flat and then about 1/4 in would gradually rise to banking.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1879181)   #15
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink
That sounds exiting. It is however also possible to start the banking like the straight entering the banked corner is the normal circuit, and the 'old' circuit sort of 'zips' (don't know if that is englisch in the sense wich I mean it to be) onto the banking.
Old 6 May 2007, 16:53 (Ref:1907750)   #16
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Shedden, i'm seeing some similar style to Pukekohe, nice one Paul.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 11:44 (Ref:2027791)   #17
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Sorry about the poor quality image, but here is one I've sort've doodled on a piece of card.

The cars start on the southern straight, and the circuit is clockwise.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 15:32 (Ref:2027999)   #18
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice, looks very quick
Old 2 Oct 2007, 13:15 (Ref:2028914)   #19
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
Iceman13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it. Maybe for touring cars?
Old 2 Oct 2007, 16:53 (Ref:2029103)   #20
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
yeah, that was my thinking.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 21:55 (Ref:2029402)   #21
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That pit straight looks very reminiscent of one of my all-time favorite car park/temporary circuits: RFK Stadium. Small, simple. I like it.
Old 5 Oct 2007, 16:59 (Ref:2032191)   #22
Yannick
Veteran

It looks good in blot shape. The first time sector to the left of the diagram reminds me of Estoril. Runoff on the bowed straight might be a problem for positioning the main grandstands opposed to the pits, though.
I like it because it looks simple and effective.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 00:17 (Ref:2037343)   #23
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
I've unearthed a few old, but as yet unpublicized circuits I've done; the first one it Troyes
Old 11 Oct 2007, 07:51 (Ref:2037450)   #24
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like that one Mate !
Ive done a bit of an edit thou !
I made the chicane on the back straight more akin to Indianapolis and Arnarge from Le mans. Obviously this adds time to the circuit, what do you think ?
Old 11 Oct 2007, 17:09 (Ref:2037868)   #25
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a great edit, the original is good.

Why isn't the edit that good? It wrecks the flow of the curcuit, too angular