Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 19 Aug 2001, 07:33 (Ref:132322)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Silverstone Historic Festival

Once again my busy schedule precludes my attendance at this event. I hope some of our members will attend and let me know what it was like. Also if there are any would be racers out there, go and visit the CSCC display. Have a chat to the folks there and see if you can come out to play with us.

I understand that my newly resprayed Capri will be on display.
Old 19 Aug 2001, 18:07 (Ref:132584)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
When is it Pete ?
Old 19 Aug 2001, 23:15 (Ref:132796)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
August Bank Holiday - and for the first time in a decade, I'm giving it a miss.

I have to be elsewhere being an FBI Agent for a weekend... It's a long story.

I admit it would be interesting to see how the new, revamped festival line-up compares, but I think it'll have to be down for next year.
Old 19 Aug 2001, 23:17 (Ref:132799)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Bugger. Tied up elsewhere on Monday...
Old 20 Aug 2001, 08:06 (Ref:132928)   #5
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I shall be there. Should be a good weekend, two Gp-C races, a rallysprint, motorcycles, plus the chance to Boo Nigel Mansell again
Old 20 Aug 2001, 08:54 (Ref:132941)   #6
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Bugger. Tied up elsewhere on Monday...
There's still racing on Saturday and Sunday though!

NB. The group C race on Saturday is 2 hours, between 6.30 and 8.30, so will finish in dusk. The course car is the Bentley 2001 EXP Le Mans car. 30ish entries.

Other highlights - 45 car grid of pre-71 Formula Fords, and 2 40 min race for pre-65 touring cars, including Gerry Marshall, Whizzo, Win Percy etc, as well as pre-78 F1 (including Martin Stretton in the 6 wheel Tyrrell) and 60's world endurance cars (including the GT40 prototype), Formula Junior etc etc!

Mansell and Jackie Stewart are there as well, amongst others...
Old 20 Aug 2001, 09:07 (Ref:132946)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm down there again. I've been every year since 1993! And I've already been to COYS this year! Does anyone know what cars are up for sale in the auction. I know of Senna's JPS Lotus, but what else?

Two Group C races. Wow. Can't wait!

Also does anyone know if we will be privileged enough to be able to pay £5 for Nige's signiture? ;-)

Adam
Old 20 Aug 2001, 16:29 (Ref:133108)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Can't make that either Tied up all weekend...
Old 21 Aug 2001, 10:37 (Ref:133615)   #9
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
urrr the 6 wheeled tyrell might not be there cos at the weekend it became a 5 wheeled tyrell at shelsley walsh.
hehe

the miserable ******* got out and walked off leaving the car for the marshalls. not nice!

Last edited by THR; 21 Aug 2001 at 10:38.
Old 21 Aug 2001, 12:04 (Ref:133648)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope that the 6 wheeled Tyrrell is there at the weekend. Fantastic car. Good to see it racing.
Old 22 Aug 2001, 23:03 (Ref:134572)   #11
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After standing watching Bentley unload their Le Mans car, I really wish I could make it to this. Why couldn't somebody have mentioned earlier that Bentley would be there
Old 28 Aug 2001, 13:05 (Ref:137044)   #12
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've just had a great weekend over at Silverstone. The weather stayed fine, although it was a bit grey on Sunday.

Some excellent racing as ever from the historics, and such a variety.

It wasn't too crowded, perhaps having 3 large historic festivals (Rockingham, Silverstone and Goodwood) is unsustainable?

The club displays seemed to be mainly Italian (Alfa (x2), Maserati, Lambo, Lancia, Ferrari, Iso Bizzarini (sp?) etc.) which was no bad thing - I'm now trying to work out whether the running costs of an Integrale or Maser Biturbo would be too crippling.
Old 28 Aug 2001, 13:10 (Ref:137046)   #13
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
...and another thing!

The highlight of the auction (which I watched from the confines of the beer tent) was an Alfa Romeo which was the first vehicle to bear the 'Prancing Horse' logo when it was raced by Scuderia Ferrari in the days before they built their own cars.

The hammer fell at £965,000
Old 28 Aug 2001, 13:21 (Ref:137053)   #14
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't attend the auction (too scared of sneezing and ending up bidding for something), but I did hear all about it. My dad was watching it on the screen with his mouth open - he just couldn't believe the bidding and the money involved. He did have his eye on a lovely immaculate E-type Jaguar that was on display behind Pit Straight (I think it was for sale by someone called Neville? who runs a classic car dealership). He kept going back to look at it. He did manage to resist though.

Sunday was pretty grey which was a shame but the racing was good. It was so nice to just look at the old cars and then see them being driven to the limit on the track.
Old 28 Aug 2001, 15:04 (Ref:137079)   #15
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
They reckoned the Alfa was going to fetch 'around a million' anyway, I saw a picture of it in the catalogue (peered over someone's shoulder) and it didn't look that special.

Wouldn't it be funny to stand-up and shout in Dr Evil style 'One Million Pounds! ha ha ha' and then peg it out of the auction room.

Still at least with spending your millions on a motorcar you can drive it, if you spend the money on a painting you can only hang it on your wall.
Old 29 Aug 2001, 08:25 (Ref:137526)   #16
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or drive it into a wall......

I had a chat last night with someone who was there and apparently the 6-wheel Tyrell, and a number of other vehicles were serverly bashed at the start of the International Trophy race, any of you lot see what happened?