Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Mar 2019, 21:29 (Ref:3888059)   #276
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
The guy from Ford Performance said on TV that there was nothing interchangeable between the road going Mustang and the Race car .
A situation which can be attributed - mostly - to the current Supercars/COTF rulebook.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 21:59 (Ref:3888063)   #277
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely the old mirrors and door handles thing still applies?
Old 3 Mar 2019, 22:20 (Ref:3888065)   #278
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'mon guys, it's a spec formula. Just like the Aussie Racecars, only a bigger engine. Enjoy the racing (if that's what you want), but don't confuse it with touring car racing.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 00:03 (Ref:3888082)   #279
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The pony in the grille ?
Old 4 Mar 2019, 00:08 (Ref:3888083)   #280
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
The pony in the grille ?
Probably hollow core carbon fibre with titanium fixings....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 4 Mar 2019, 02:42 (Ref:3888099)   #281
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
C'mon guys, it's a spec formula. Just like the Aussie Racecars, only a bigger engine. Enjoy the racing (if that's what you want), but don't confuse it with touring car racing.
Spot on, as is basically every other professional touring car series - BTCC, WTCC, TCR, as well as GT3 and GT4. Some just have more of the road car incorporated than others. The alternative is production car racing and basically unsolvable parity issues (IMO).
Old 5 Mar 2019, 11:06 (Ref:3888377)   #282
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
The alternative is production car racing and basically unsolvable parity issues (IMO).
Not to mention a great likelihood of deaths in serious crashes.
Old 5 Mar 2019, 17:43 (Ref:3888452)   #283
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
“The car is such a departure from the road car, it is not what Supercars set out to be” - Roland Dane on the SUPER STANG

I realise he is playing realpolitik, but this kind of comment is extremely damaging. COTF IS a departure from the road car - for cost, for safety, for parity etc. To go down this "it's got to be like Joe bloggs car in the driveway has far more reaching implications than just keeping T8 competitive.

They all agreed to different body shapes on a spec chassis (serious lol on that one), turbos vs NA (even bigger lol when that happens). It was always going to be trouble
Old 5 Mar 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3888475)   #284
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Comes across as nothing more than sour grapes.

Ford simply did a better job in homologating the Mustang than Dane did with the Commodore.

Now what can be done about those pesky 888 customer cars outpacing the RBHRT cars?
Old 6 Mar 2019, 04:55 (Ref:3888543)   #285
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SO will we ever evolve further than a Camaro and or Mustang from the GM/Chev and Ford teams? Hopefully new brands may join but I fear the Holden (Chev) and Ford teams may not evolve further than the in waiting Camaro and the current Mustang
Old 6 Mar 2019, 07:38 (Ref:3888564)   #286
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
INDUSTRY SALES RESULTS A day ago
TOYOTA HILUX OUTSELLS ENTIRE HOLDEN RANGE

Joshua Dowling
NATIONAL MOTORING EDITOR
The Toyota HiLux has notched up an unusual victory, with the one model outselling Holden’s complete range in February 2019 as our love affair with utes reaches new heights.

Utes filled the top three sales spots in February — Toyota HiLux, Ford Ranger and the updated Mitsubishi Triton — as our appetite for vehicles that can work and play eclipses a new threshold.

While the entire car market hit the brakes last month, down by 9.3 per cent, the top selling utes either held or gained ground.

One of the most telling statistics to come from the data is that one model — the HiLux — outsold Holden’s entire range for the month for the first time ever.

The HiLux came within a whisker of passing Holden in January but then overtook it in February as Holden sales reflected true demand and the company continued to clear cars that had been reported as sold in previous months.

One leading Holden dealer who asked to remain anonymous said: “The numbers don’t look good but we’re no longer flooded with cars. I reckon this is just a correction and you’ll see us start to pick up over the rest of the year.”

The Toyota HiLux, meanwhile, has been buoyed by continued discounts. The flagship SR5 double cab has been at $52,990 drive-away with auto for several months, about $9000 off RRP.

The sales numbers are as follows: Toyota sold 4431 HiLux utes in February 2019 versus Holden’s total tally of 3825 (including 1300 Colorado utes, its biggest selling model).
Old 6 Mar 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3888797)   #287
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
INDUSTRY SALES RESULTS A day ago
TOYOTA HILUX OUTSELLS ENTIRE HOLDEN RANGE

Joshua Dowling
NATIONAL MOTORING EDITOR
The Toyota HiLux has notched up an unusual victory, with the one model outselling Holden’s complete range in February 2019 as our love affair with utes reaches new heights.

Utes filled the top three sales spots in February — Toyota HiLux, Ford Ranger and the updated Mitsubishi Triton — as our appetite for vehicles that can work and play eclipses a new threshold.

While the entire car market hit the brakes last month, down by 9.3 per cent, the top selling utes either held or gained ground.

One of the most telling statistics to come from the data is that one model — the HiLux — outsold Holden’s entire range for the month for the first time ever.

The HiLux came within a whisker of passing Holden in January but then overtook it in February as Holden sales reflected true demand and the company continued to clear cars that had been reported as sold in previous months.

One leading Holden dealer who asked to remain anonymous said: “The numbers don’t look good but we’re no longer flooded with cars. I reckon this is just a correction and you’ll see us start to pick up over the rest of the year.”

The Toyota HiLux, meanwhile, has been buoyed by continued discounts. The flagship SR5 double cab has been at $52,990 drive-away with auto for several months, about $9000 off RRP.

The sales numbers are as follows: Toyota sold 4431 HiLux utes in February 2019 versus Holden’s total tally of 3825 (including 1300 Colorado utes, its biggest selling model).
That may well be the sales results but it is in two entirely different segments of the market and could be said to be artificially distorted by the mining sector demanding new vehicles. A few years ago the eresults were mirrored and similar comments could have been made in reverse. Holden's problem stem from the fact that it was the yard stick by which sales were measured, sad really to think about it like that. I doubt there are any major reasons the present Holden range can be criticised apart from the fact that they are different and the market does not like different. The cars are pretty well specced and on par with other European offerings which have no trouble selling here and in fact some have long waiting lists for similar cars.
Old 9 Mar 2019, 03:52 (Ref:3889277)   #288
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I doubt there are any major reasons the present Holden range can be criticised apart from the fact that they are different and the market does not like different..
Different?

I would say the Holden offerings are bland not different. If you want teutonic German restraint designed with a ruler, you get a Volkswagen or Skoda (or Audi). If you want flair and an eye for design, you pick a Citroen, Peugeot or Renault (or FIAT or Alfa Romeo). If you want futurism you can go Japanese, Toyota and Honda. If you want affordable sportiness you can go Mazda.

What does Holden offer? Generic forgetability.

The all new Mazda3 runs rings around the Holden Astra... Those views are coming from a German too!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 9 Mar 2019 at 04:01.
Old 9 Mar 2019, 03:58 (Ref:3889278)   #289
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
If you want affordable sportiness you can go Mazda.
I can't compare the 3 to an Astra because I haven't driven the Astra, but Mazda doesn't make anything sporty except the MX5 and even that can't suck the skin off a custard these days.

The last interesting thing they made was the 3MPS, and that was a huge engine stuffed inside a dead ordinary car.

The same engine however with AWD in the 6MPS was really really good.

Getting back to topic, it would seem the Acadia and the Colorado are the only things that are competitive in class.

The Astra and Insigniadore are good cars, but they are both in categories that are full of good cars, and some of them are VERY good cars.
Old 9 Mar 2019, 13:05 (Ref:3889313)   #290
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Different?

I would say the Holden offerings are bland not different. If you want teutonic German restraint designed with a ruler, you get a Volkswagen or Skoda (or Audi). If you want flair and an eye for design, you pick a Citroen, Peugeot or Renault (or FIAT or Alfa Romeo). If you want futurism you can go Japanese, Toyota and Honda. If you want affordable sportiness you can go Mazda.

What does Holden offer? Generic forgetability.
Japanese offer futurism, You would have to be drinking or smoking something to believe that. As for generic forgetability, Toyota are the world champions, there is simply no one better, white goods on four wheels.

As for the MX5, it was never meant to be a fire breathing sports car as its designer has often repeated but the message never seems to get through.
Old 10 Mar 2019, 11:20 (Ref:3889432)   #291
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Japanese offer futurism, You would have to be drinking or smoking something to believe that.
Or I could just look at the actual car?

James May says:
Quote:
I was expecting a 60's towerblock. But Honda have given us the Guggenheim. Look at this Honda badge in a perspex trophy cabinet, it's very Flash Gordon. The backend also looks like it's come from outerspace, and the door handles look like the rockets that will take you there. This Civic does something a Golf, Astra or Focus can't do. Let me put it this way: the space shuttle only does a job and it's white, but you'd never call it a whitegood.
- Review of 2006 Honda Civic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1nCp8yjsyY

I like the styling of the 2015 Civic Type R a lot too, it's based on a facelifted version of the 2006 Civic. I think it looks better than the 2018 model Civic Type R (which is still futuristic, but in a more subtle way than previous versions).

Civic, Insight, Clarity, the long forgotten CR-Z (both the CR-Z and Insight being hybrid cars with manual transmission, which was very unusual for the time and still is) -- all kinds of futuristic styled Honda cars. Not to mention Toyota's CH-R and Prius, and Nissan's famous Juke.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 10 Mar 2019 at 11:33.
Old 10 Mar 2019, 11:42 (Ref:3889437)   #292
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Japanese offer futurism, You would have to be drinking or smoking something to believe that.
I dunno, ever heard of Cyberpunk? They pretty much invented it's look.
Old 10 Mar 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3889543)   #293
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I know cyberpunk, they certainly made things look futuristic
Old 11 Mar 2019, 00:15 (Ref:3889564)   #294
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I can't compare the 3 to an Astra because I haven't driven the Astra, but Mazda doesn't make anything sporty except the MX5 and even that can't suck the skin off a custard these days.

The last interesting thing they made was the 3MPS, and that was a huge engine stuffed inside a dead ordinary car.
It's all relative. Whilst what we think of as being a "sports car" is very different, Mazda has traditionally had a reputation of having a "sportier feel" compared to their in class rivals. The 3 is great example of this. It is still indeed a generic econobox, but compared to the likes of Corolla / i30 etc, it has a far more engaging steering feel, great manual gearbox, and generally gives greater feedback to the driver. This is in direct contrast to other offerings that deliberately attempt to engineer as much of this out of the car as possible.
Old 11 Mar 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3889689)   #295
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well we are talking about Supercars here, not GT cars. But there’s always going to be a grey area of what constitutes a tin top and a GT
Old 12 Mar 2019, 12:01 (Ref:3889869)   #296
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Or I could just look at the actual car?

James May says:

- Review of 2006 Honda Civic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1nCp8yjsyY

I like the styling of the 2015 Civic Type R a lot too, it's based on a facelifted version of the 2006 Civic. I think it looks better than the 2018 model Civic Type R (which is still futuristic, but in a more subtle way than previous versions).

Civic, Insight, Clarity, the long forgotten CR-Z (both the CR-Z and Insight being hybrid cars with manual transmission, which was very unusual for the time and still is) -- all kinds of futuristic styled Honda cars. Not to mention Toyota's CH-R and Prius, and Nissan's famous Juke.
One manufacturer produces funny looking cars, that is futurism? and some of those are how old? and James May is an expert on this subject? Mazda have done a way better job than Honda in styling. To me the futurism is not styling but the technology within so we are talking of two different things. Honda were the leaders in this sense when the original Accord was released, I had one as a drive car and it was streets ahead of any affordable car and daylight was second. Sadly the Japanese stagnated and became white goods manufacturers and any cars that were interesting did not get exported bar a few such as Toyota's Supra or Nissan's 240 etc.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 14:37 (Ref:3889905)   #297
S griffin
Veteran

Well Manufacturers design it how they want, depends what they see in the future. May has done enough testing himself.

Again though it depends what you count as a saloon or a GT
Old 30 May 2019, 05:20 (Ref:3906875)   #298
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be interesting to understand the impact on the local market if the rumoured merger between GM & Ford was actually capable of being consummated Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 May 2019, 06:50 (Ref:3906885)   #299
S griffin
Veteran

Well then there might be a conflict of interest, especially now it's not just Ford and Holden involved like it was a decade ago. Maybe they would keep competing against each other, and not let something like that get in the way
Old 30 May 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3906965)   #300
Casper
Veteran

Did you look at the date before rushing in to post?