Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jan 2016, 10:15 (Ref:3605309)   #26
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I don't understand the point of Aston Martin being involved with F1 in the first place ??
Surely it can only be an attempt to match market perception of Aston to that of Ferrari? I believe their efforts in GT racing are in fact more relevant to that ambition but the profile of GT racing is much lower in the market than F1 and so they are not gaining status that way.

Budget will, I am sure be the sticking point but also, the prospect of Force India beating Ferrari regularly in F1 is slim and so would this link not be counter productive?

The best route for AM is to work to get GT racing to a wider audience with better TV coverage, at present with the notable exception of Le Mans the TV coverage is amateurish because of low budgets for the coverage.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 11:10 (Ref:3605318)   #27
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Thank you for explaining that, I think your right GT racing is a far better fit for AM but as you say it's a question of TV coverage which is not that great ..
Ferrari do have this rather unique position in that they are a famous racing marque as well as been a household name as a car manufacturer ..
Old 17 Jan 2016, 10:24 (Ref:3605606)   #28
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite right, their position is unique, Enzo Ferrari established the Scuderia to race Alfa Romeo cars before building his own. Complete production of engines as well as chassis was always his method and the sale of road cars followed to spread the cost of production. It may be debatable that building a road car business was really his objective, it was a means to an end

Aston on the other hand was always a road car business, even the early competition cars were "sportscars" and that has always been the central theme of the marque. There is a danger in badge engineering the Force India as an Aston as it will not actually use any technology from the marque and so will not change the general view of the company IMO.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3605619)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is worth checking but actually the original Aston Martins were built for competition. The name comes from a combination of Aston Clinton Hill Climb and a Mr Martin who built them for the hill.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 22:49 (Ref:3605744)   #30
old man
Veteran

England
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This is worth checking but actually the original Aston Martins were built for competition. The name comes from a combination of Aston Clinton Hill Climb and a Mr Martin who built them for the hill.
True Peter but they were not out and out circuit racers, just competition "sportscars", I think always 2 seaters?
Old 19 Jan 2016, 17:06 (Ref:3606256)   #31
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think F1 would be a good fit for AM, and if they could do it on the cheap by sponsoring Force India, then all the better. But was the plan to rebadge the engines as well, or would we have had the spectacle of an Aston Martin-Mercedes (like we had a BMW Sauber-Ferrari a few years ago)?
Old 19 Jan 2016, 17:50 (Ref:3606276)   #32
old man
Veteran

England
UK
I really don't think AM have the funds to sponsor anyone to a realistic extent and to use Mercedes, as would be the case I am sure, does nothing for the AM image. People who buy their product will not be attracted to the marque by badge engineering IMO.

The appeal of AM is from a British quality angle, a strong engine, great comfort even for a GT car, the traditional use of leather and quality fixtures and fittings. You can build such a car and use a Mercedes engine as the Pagani does and the customers will buy it for the luxury, tailor made quality and "sex appeal". But to enter F1 racing and use another marque's engine and mechanical components in a chassis designed by your partner does nothing for your image as a leading company.

That they are doing quite well in GT racing with their own product is a better image builder I feel and if they have budget to invest then build the image of GT racing, get track time and results, sell customer racers as Porsche and Ferrari do but don't go near F1 unless you have a technical input that will be recognised. Otherwise it is just an ego trip by the directors.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 20:57 (Ref:3606365)   #33
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Awesome Peter thanks for sharing that !
Old 20 Jan 2016, 07:24 (Ref:3606494)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Coincidentally (unless they read this forum) that was a 'factoid' on radio 2 yesterday afternoon!

Re: Aston Martin and Mercedes, the latter (using AMG division) are collaborating with AM on future road car engines, so they are already close. The next AM V8 will be likely a joint effort, although according to the motoring press a new V12 will be pure Aston. I may be mistaken, but thought Merc had bought a share of AM as well..... Edit- 5% Daimler owned according to quick search.

Personally, I would rather see Aston in GT racing than F1!
Old 20 Jan 2016, 07:59 (Ref:3606495)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Personally, I would rather see Aston in GT racing than F1!
Me too.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3606510)   #36
old man
Veteran

England
UK
We are agreed then
Old 28 Feb 2016, 13:06 (Ref:3618400)   #37
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not about any possible involvement by Aston Martin, but there are matters that are going on behind the scene concerning Force India.

Diageo, the drinks' conglomerate, is trying to recoup a payment that it was made to make to repay a $135 million loan taken out by Mallya that was secured on the Indian's drinks business that they have taken over. They now seem to be casting an eye over Force India and other assets that he has, but the race team is the most valuable asset that he is left with. It is being rumoured that they will be forced to take over the race team with a view to trying to sell it off.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 09:42 (Ref:3618590)   #38
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just to add to the above, Diageo were forced to repay the loan of $135 million, taken out by a Mauritius company, Watson Ltd, that holds the shares ownership of Mallya's 42% holding in FI, after Watson/Mallya defaulted on the loan and it became payable immediately.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3618750)   #39
old man
Veteran

England
UK
wise decision by AM then
Old 3 Mar 2016, 19:31 (Ref:3619612)   #40
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
More headaches for Mallya in India; maybe he will join his chum Roy in prison whilst they sort out their financial woes! : http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33208.html
Old 11 Mar 2016, 12:17 (Ref:3622115)   #41
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
No Johnnie Walker tie-up for Force India: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/228329/...ie-walker.html
Old 12 Mar 2016, 10:05 (Ref:3622306)   #42
old man
Veteran

England
UK
Given Malja's convoluted finances I doubt any major company would get involved with FI
Old 12 Mar 2016, 17:48 (Ref:3622360)   #43
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
didnt stop Diageo from getting in bed with Mallya and they may have to help cover his debts in order to consolidate their control over United Breweries and the massive profits that comes from selling booze in India and those same spirits to the growing number of Indians living abroad.

the guy has assets and he might be willing to sell them cheap provided he gets sufficient cover from his debts in India.

i think in the end someone is going to end up with a fantastic deal from buying up Force India.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 18:15 (Ref:3622362)   #44
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
/\/\ I certainly hope so, for all concerned...
Old 12 Mar 2016, 19:56 (Ref:3622376)   #45
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Do we think Aston Martin might have the cash to do a deal, with AM-branded Mercedes engines?
Old 12 Mar 2016, 20:17 (Ref:3622379)   #46
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Do we think Aston Martin might have the cash to do a deal, with AM-branded Mercedes engines?
The deal that was being discussed earlier with AM to my understanding did not involve a major financial input from AM. Diageo were going to be putting most of the cash but wanted AM as a motor manufacturer plus some marketing spin off ( think J Bond).
Old 12 Mar 2016, 21:00 (Ref:3622386)   #47
old man
Veteran

England
UK
Frankly I doubt it, image of the whole thing is not solid enough