Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Oct 2016, 22:57 (Ref:3677110)   #26
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Personally I disagree. I called it as a likely penalty the first time I saw it. The fact is they did touch, and they touched because Nico went a long way in a straight line (due to the speed he was carrying) before starting to turn. It's not the first time that Nico has dived in well across the kerbs and nerfed an opponent out of the way. Yes, Kimi left the door partially open but the pass wasn't going to happen without contact.
An interesting point of view. I see where you're coming from, and given your prompting, Austria and 'somewhere else' do spring to mind. The deviation from the normal line was much less on this occasion though so I was, and am, prepared to cut Nicola a bit of slack on this occasion.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3677234)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was a robust overtake and in years gone by it wouldn't have raised much comment (let alone a penalty) but as we seem to be in a time where any contact is investigated and most are penalised, I seem to have got into that unwelcome mind-set where causes me to shout out 'that's got to be a penalty'. It's not something I'm proud of and I've seen much worse go unpunished over the years.....
Old 4 Oct 2016, 15:22 (Ref:3677241)   #28
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem with the current designed to degrade tires, drivers have to be very robust in their overtaking, cause if you can't get it done with a lap or perhaps two, your tires will be toast and you will strongly compromise your stint and your entire race.

Hopefully next year, with Pirelli having to design less degradation into the tires, drivers will have a bit more time to make their move and more subtle overtaking tactics will be applied instead of the DRS-ing and forcing through style we see now sometimes. Hopefully we see some more and better close racing as we saw between Daniel en Max.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 15:37 (Ref:3677245)   #29
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It was a robust overtake and in years gone by it wouldn't have raised much comment (let alone a penalty) but as we seem to be in a time where any contact is investigated and most are penalised, I seem to have got into that unwelcome mind-set where causes me to shout out 'that's got to be a penalty'. It's not something I'm proud of and I've seen much worse go unpunished over the years.....
This is a problem caused by years of inaction by the FIA. They chose to largely ignore infractions (apart from a very few really serious incidents that had to be addressed, such as Schumacher punting Villeneuve off), and then when matters were getting totally out of hand, they seem to have done a complete volte-face. The only problem is that each incident is unique, and is subjective, and is usually interpreted differently by different stewards.

I am in no way arguing that safety matters in motor racing should be relaxed, but it must be recognised that as safety improves so the drivers' mind-sets are conditioned to take risks that were inconceivable years ago. And, regrettably, the respect for their fellow competitors that used to be a feature of years gone by, no longer seems to exist.

Hopefully my views are not made using rose-tinted glasses, or just because I have become a boring old f*rt!
Old 4 Oct 2016, 18:36 (Ref:3677308)   #30
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Managed to watch the race today and have to say that Nico's move seemed hard but fair, it seemed he showed Kimi he was coming through, even taking to the kerb to try to give Kimi room. It was nothing like his cynical moves in Austria and Germany.

What a recovery from Nico, after being hit by Vettel and dropping back, what a drive to third, helped by Lewis' engine blowing. The way he's been going he could be stuck in a cow field and come out smelling of roses

Great to see the Honey Badger finally getting the luck that has been missing so far this season, great drives by both McLarens, Fred from the back and Jenson on his 300th and well done Palmer breaking his points duck

As for Max passing under VSC, from what I could see it was flashing green on the marker board when he passed. Still the way Ricciardo held on to the position against Max was the stuff of legends
Old 4 Oct 2016, 23:32 (Ref:3677369)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
The hazards of attending GPs in a third world

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-0...harges/7903640
Old 5 Oct 2016, 00:55 (Ref:3677375)   #32
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-0...harges/7903640
No it the problem of acting like you do at home when your neighbor invites you over for dinner and then wondering why they never invite you back again. Remember to wear pants when you sit at the table, don't pick your teeth with your knife and don't pass gas when the opportunity arises.

By the way, I liked the phrase "blokey behaviour". I had to Google that one!

Richard
Old 5 Oct 2016, 01:54 (Ref:3677383)   #33
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
No it the problem of acting like you do at home when your neighbor invites you over for dinner and then wondering why they never invite you back again. Remember to wear pants when you sit at the table, don't pick your teeth with your knife and don't pass gas when the opportunity arises.
Well said.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 07:50 (Ref:3677422)   #34
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Richard
Tantamount to clubbing your neighbor for his table manners though don't you think?

What do you get to wear to the beach in Malaysia?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 09:09 (Ref:3677438)   #35
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you go to other countries and don't respect their cultures and laws, expect to face problems. Whether or not you disagree with it, or even have a logical argument against it doesn't matter. It's not your house - so sit down, shut up, and don't put your feet on the table.

The "bloke" and "banter" excuses are ridiculous anyway. It's basically achknowledging that you're acting unpleasant and obnoxious, but excusing it with words that play it off as a joke.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 09:14 (Ref:3677439)   #36
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
If you go to other countries and don't respect their cultures and laws, expect to face problems. Whether or not you disagree with it, or even have a logical argument against it doesn't matter. It's not your house - so sit down, shut up, and don't put your feet on the table.

The "bloke" and "banter" excuses are ridiculous anyway. It's basically achknowledging that you're acting unpleasant and obnoxious, but excusing it with words that play it off as a joke.
"Manners maketh the man."
Old 5 Oct 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3677449)   #37
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
"Manners maketh the man."
Fully agree and I hope the authorities at home have more to say.

I was also pleased to see Mark Webber put a stop to the shoe thing

Old 5 Oct 2016, 11:12 (Ref:3677465)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Richard
Exactly right.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 11:26 (Ref:3677468)   #39
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
The sensitivities in Malaysia are well-known - they only recently jailed a group of climbers for a nude summit photo. It's not as if these dudes didn't know about all that - one of them is an advisor to an Australian federal government minister, another the son of a leading diplomat.

Idiots.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 13:44 (Ref:3677507)   #40
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
The sensitivities in Malaysia are well-known - they only recently jailed a group of climbers for a nude summit photo. It's not as if these dudes didn't know about all that - one of them is an advisor to an Australian federal government minister, another the son of a leading diplomat.

Idiots.
Oh! They were Australians! That explains it.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 20:27 (Ref:3677616)   #41
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Oh! They were Australians! That explains it.
Of course - because the British would never go to another country and behave poorly LOL

We all have our crosses to bear.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 21:41 (Ref:3677635)   #42
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The British version involves throwing tables at Germans whilst aggressively chanting about 1996.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3677659)   #43
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry wnut, that is exactly the sort of superiority and arrogant attitude those Bogans had. And they should have known better.

KL is hardly the "third world". Try visiting sometime.
Malaysian politics are dominated by personalities who have some "interesting sources of support", have a tendency to making wild statements at election time and playing religious and ethnic groups off against each other.
Sound familiar?
Old 6 Oct 2016, 04:39 (Ref:3677735)   #44
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Sorry wnut, that is exactly the sort of superiority and arrogant attitude those Bogans had. And they should have known better.

KL is hardly the "third world". Try visiting sometime.
Malaysian politics are dominated by personalities who have some "interesting sources of support", have a tendency to making wild statements at election time and playing religious and ethnic groups off against each other.
Sound familiar?
They are neither NATO nor Communist Block, so by definition they are a Third World country, even if they are a G20 nation.

The point was that many of the NATO/ First World attendees of cheap foreign GPs are cashed up twits who exhibit this sort of behavior, have you ever attended a GP where you have not at least seen this sort of behavior?
They tend to be "fun" weekends for the boys, LeMans camping anyone, so it will probably get slightly out of hand as some stage, and this was pretty innocuous imho.

Just chuck them out and don't give them visas in future.

Still, you are correct, their country their rules.
Nice little earner for their legal fraternity too I'll bet.

Good venue for the next World Cup?
Old 6 Oct 2016, 06:41 (Ref:3677753)   #45
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They are neither NATO nor Communist Block, so by definition they are a Third World country, even if they are a G20 nation.
A Cold War definition that today is pretty much outdated and unused. The modern usage is to indicate a country of lower development level and depending upon context... a derogatory phrase. So sorry, but IMHO your initial usage was intended to be judgemental toward the host and not the guests.

Richard
Old 6 Oct 2016, 06:55 (Ref:3677755)   #46
wnut
Veteran

Oh well, it appears that the Malaysian judge is more tolerant, less precious and more 1 st world than either his police force or many others.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/budgie-9...06-grwh81.html
Old 6 Oct 2016, 07:06 (Ref:3677756)   #47
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Just chuck them out and don't give them visas in future.

Still, you are correct, their country their rules.
Nice little earner for their legal fraternity too I'll bet.

Good venue for the next World Cup?
Why should it be as simple as throw them out and don't let them back in? It's their laws, so tough if you don't agree. I may not necessarily agree with laws in Australia, but if I turn up and break one, I expect the full letter of the law to be applied - not just told to go away nd don't come back.

It's also a fine venue for the next world cup. Respect the culture, don't be a dick and everything will be fine.

As for the "bit of fun" comment - comes under banter and bloke behaviour IMO. If you need to excuse it as innocent fun, then you were probably being obnoxious. I may be in the minority here, but I was glad when Le Mans Fridays calmed down and it became a bit more civil. Some of us want to go and see motor racing and enjoy the weather and local area. Not have to dodge around "lads" acting like children and being disruptive.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 07:10 (Ref:3677757)   #48
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Oh well, it appears that the Malaysian judge is more tolerant, less precious and more 1 st world than either his police force or many others.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/budgie-9...06-grwh81.html
More tolerant? They were charged with public indecency...what did you expect? Them to be hanged?

Funny choice of words too. I don't see why they should be tolerant of outsiders turning up and breaking their laws and cultures. But hey-ho.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 09:33 (Ref:3677785)   #49
wnut
Veteran

Umm, the judge ruled it was not Public Indecency being in your bathers but, scolded them for public nuisance, no conviction, and sent them on their way.

Good decision from his Honour imo.

Last edited by wnut; 6 Oct 2016 at 09:43.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 09:55 (Ref:3677788)   #50
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Umm, the judge ruled it was not Public Indecency being in your bathers but, scolded them for public nuisance, no conviction, and sent them on their way.

Good decision from his Honour imo.
Agreed, good decision. Hopefully they have learnt their lesson and others have taken note and will act accordingly when away from home.