Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 17 Oct 2016, 04:16 (Ref:3680816)   #76
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I was up at Thompson this weekend for the World Series.

We left before the WMT race because it's really not that great.
Old 17 Oct 2016, 10:58 (Ref:3680871)   #77
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I was up at Thompson this weekend for the World Series.

We left before the WMT race because it's really not that great.
I don't see modifieds often, so I enjoyed this one but from the small amount of views of the crowd, it looked sparse.

What's the difference in the world series cars vs whelen?
Old 17 Oct 2016, 13:24 (Ref:3680903)   #78
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
World Series is just the whole weekend event, it's capped off by the WMT season finale.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3704084)   #79
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
Yes I have heard about Sprint cars in Australia .Just don,t remember ever hearing about dirt tracks in Europe . Not withstanding the Bikers
Sprint Cars (don't tell the admin!) racing on a chalk/clay oval in the UK.
https://youtu.be/Z8M0uyWmwMA
Old 21 Jan 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3704093)   #80
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin88 View Post
Sprint Cars (don't tell the admin!) racing on a chalk/clay oval in the UK.
https://youtu.be/Z8M0uyWmwMA
I get not really enthusiastic...would the smaller midgets not work better on uk tracks?
Old 22 Jan 2017, 15:14 (Ref:3704239)   #81
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I get not really enthusiastic...would the smaller midgets not work better on uk tracks?
They probably would, yes. We have Mod Lites in the UK now, racing under the guise of UK Modifieds. They are pretty good on the dirt.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 19:10 (Ref:3705623)   #82
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin88 View Post
They probably would, yes. We have Mod Lites in the UK now, racing under the guise of UK Modifieds. They are pretty good on the dirt.
First time I see these Mod Lites. They look great.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 15:02 (Ref:3709387)   #83
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
They're essentially re-skinned Legends cars.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3709389)   #84
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt : In Conn or any other New England States are they running Legends Cars ?
Old 4 Feb 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3709391)   #85
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
They run them at most 1/3mi or smaller tracks up here.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3709424)   #86
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Well Then I guess They don't run at Stafford or Thompson ?

Possibly the Waterford Bowl ?

Arn't those the only 3 tracks / Ovals left in Conn. ?
Old 4 Feb 2017, 17:30 (Ref:3709435)   #87
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Well Then I guess They don't run at Stafford or Thompson ?

Possibly the Waterford Bowl ?

Arn't those the only 3 tracks / Ovals left in Conn. ?
They run them at Waterford, my cousins won championships in them there in the mid/late 00's. They run the little oval on the front straight at Stafford as well.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 22:29 (Ref:3709727)   #88
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Matt :
Sadly more tracks have vanished in Conn than are left . Bridgeport Speedway , Savin Rock in West Haven , Danbury and Plainville all gone

Stafford use to be a Dirt Track Thompson seemed like it ALWAYS needed upgrades

Back in the late 60's early 70's I was the Track Liason official at Charlotte Motor Speedway now called Loews . A very interesting career choice to say the least .Track updates , Condo units on turn 1 , Putting in the Motorsports Industrial park behind the speedway . You would never know it now but for years that Industrial Park location use to be a Land-fill for Charlottes Garbage . Talk about Construction PREP work

Back to Conn there also use to be a 1/5 mile paved track in Stratford Conn that use to run T Q Midgets ? at the time late 50's ? I also seem to recall possibly back in the 90's the TQ's use to run at Stafford ?

Lastly my father use to be a General Contractor in Shelton I remember him coming home one evening and announcing he had just purchases "The Race Track Property "
Which track are you talking about I said ? unbeknownst to me in Shelton back in the 30's there use to be a 2/3 mile dirt track I had never heard about that . Apparently they ran dirt open wheel " Champ " cars or what ever was the top cars of that era .It shut down at the start of WW2 and never re-opened . You could not see the track from the present location at the time as many trees blocked the view . You could actually see where the track was by the rotted wood fence posts . It did have slight banking to it but sadly where the track actually was I remember lots of erosion and actual trees growing Oh Well !! I did find a small sign very faded paint I have it hanging in my Man Cave
Old 4 Feb 2017, 22:45 (Ref:3709745)   #89
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Thompson got it's upgrades a few years ago, including a completely new road course that uses part of the oval before going outside of it.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 17:43 (Ref:3710745)   #90
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mods: anyway we can drop the 2016 from the title? Think we can discuss circle track racing from everywhere and every year here.

I know we are thawed out yet up north and I didn't get too much into the 2016 seasons, but I'm going to try again this year.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 18:44 (Ref:3710758)   #91
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Mods: anyway we can drop the 2016 from the title?
Satisfied with the change?
Old 7 Feb 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3710762)   #92
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Satisfied with the change?
Indeed!
Old 7 Feb 2017, 20:17 (Ref:3710797)   #93
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
A few questions from a Modified Maniac . Don't get to see them much now since I am TOO involved with IMSA.

Years ago the North East Modifieds use to run at Trenton for their so called race of Champions . Sadly no longer there but I seem to recall it was at least a 1 mile track . Is that correct ? The year I was there Neil Bonnet won it driving one of Bobby Allisons Coke sponsored modifieds as I recall it He also won the race ?

Just curious how many big tracks the modifieds have run on over 1 mile ? I can only think of a few in the past 40 years . Pre that before NASCAR 's Now cup cars were often called Modifieds ?

The tracks I can think of were Lime Rock once or twice ?
Daytona Oval and infield course same as IMSA runs . Thinking DW won one of those?
Trenton NJ as I recall had a Kink to it ?
New Hampshire driven by Ryan Newman to at least one win ?
Under 1 mile but the time I saw them at Bristol Tenn on the high banks was quite impressive ?
Old 7 Feb 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3710800)   #94
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
They run two races a year at NHMS, that's the only track of at least a mile in length any more. You may have listed them all.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3710806)   #95
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
A few questions from a Modified Maniac . Don't get to see them much now since I am TOO involved with IMSA.

Years ago the North East Modifieds use to run at Trenton for their so called race of Champions . Sadly no longer there but I seem to recall it was at least a 1 mile track . Is that correct ? The year I was there Neil Bonnet won it driving one of Bobby Allisons Coke sponsored modifieds as I recall it He also won the race ?

Just curious how many big tracks the modifieds have run on over 1 mile ? I can only think of a few in the past 40 years . Pre that before NASCAR 's Now cup cars were often called Modifieds ?

The tracks I can think of were Lime Rock once or twice ?
Daytona Oval and infield course same as IMSA runs . Thinking DW won one of those?
Trenton NJ as I recall had a Kink to it ?
New Hampshire driven by Ryan Newman to at least one win ?
Under 1 mile but the time I saw them at Bristol Tenn on the high banks was quite impressive ?
Trenton was originally a half-mile dirt oval, which was then converted into a 1-mile dirt oval that was subsequently paved in 1967. A later revision created the iconic "kidney bean" oval that it's mostly remembered for - the kidney bean oval was 1.5 miles in length.

A couple classics from the Trenton Kidney Bean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJcbsH6ZTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqjVi2KljJc
Old 10 Aug 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3758668)   #96
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Trenton was originally a half-mile dirt oval, which was then converted into a 1-mile dirt oval that was subsequently paved in 1967. A later revision created the iconic "kidney bean" oval that it's mostly remembered for - the kidney bean oval was 1.5 miles in length.

A couple classics from the Trenton Kidney Bean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJcbsH6ZTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqjVi2KljJc
Trenton was changed a few times before paving, and used to be one of AJ Foyt's favorite places to test. My dad has pictures of mid-week testing after flying him down from Nazareth, sadly before my time to join him there.

And another one bites the dust, Irwindale Speedway will close at the end of the year for an outlet shopping mall.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 20:28 (Ref:3766383)   #97
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I have read through part of this thread start and end, will some one please put a picture of the type of modifieds it is aimed at.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 23:03 (Ref:3766403)   #98
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Old 13 Sep 2017, 16:54 (Ref:3766597)   #99
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands

Old 13 Sep 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3766613)   #100
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
I hate these sheds on wheels.