Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who do you think the driver of the Grand Prix is?
Lewis Hamilton 12 21.05%
Kimi Räikkönen 4 7.02%
Sebastian Vettel 0 0%
Max Verstappen 1 1.75%
Nico Hulkenberg 3 5.26%
Sergio Pérez 0 0%
Esteban Ocon 1 1.75%
Stoffel Vandoorne 0 0%
Valtteri Bottas 13 22.81%
Romain Grosjean 0 0%
Jolyon Palmer 0 0%
Daniil Kvyat 0 0%
Carlos Sainz 0 0%
Felipe Massa 0 0%
Lance Stroll 0 0%
Kevin Magnussen 0 0%
Pascal Wehrlein 0 0%
Marcus Ericsson 0 0%
Daniel Ricciardo 21 36.84%
Fernando Alonso 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Jul 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3752446)   #51
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i wonder given on the back of those images, did LH not just single handedly generate enough political capital/political cover for the gov't to step in to help the race financially?
In a word - no.

In the current climate it would be unthinkable for the British government to inject money into the British GP - there's no magic money tree
Old 18 Jul 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3752450)   #52
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would like to thank those who have shown support for my views on Hamilton, and say that I respect the views of those who don't, we are all entitled to an opinion, and to express it here as long as it remains courteous.

While I do not follow tennis I saw that Roger Federer won a record number of titles at Wimbledon. He acknowledged the crowd, congratulated his opponent, thanked the umpires and made a quiet acceptance speech. Very dignified.

I also saw a French rider win a gruelling stage of the Tour de France on Bastille Day, the first time for about a dozen years that has happened . He crossed the line with a smile, arms aloft, he than politely answered questions from commentators despite being badly out of breath. On the podium he accepted his trophy and waved to the crowd. No histrionics no crowd surfing just simple pleasure at a famous win.

I make no comparisons with any other sports.

After all! Everyone is different.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3752453)   #53
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
nurse away but respect that some of us may take offence to such biased and blank opinions even if they are just good natured jokes...thats just what normal human beings do.

but as for the first part of your quote...demeans both himself and Formula 1.

that got me thinking. BE is gone now and its been almost 20 years since the BE/Blair/Labour donation/tobacco scandal nearly broke the British GP for good. since then the matter of gov't sponsorship for this event has been a non starter in the UK.

but however genuine or self serving LH's post race celebrations were, with tens of thousands of Brits in attendance, many more on their TV's, mobiles, newspapers etc, and the countless worldwide just saw a display of British domination and all the revelry that goes along with it.

these people will go back to their homes, their constituencies, and i wonder given on the back of those images, did LH not just single handedly generate enough political capital/political cover for the gov't to step in to help the race financially?

winning the race is reason enough to vote someone DotR but i suspect the effects of the subsequent celebration, if used correctly, could be more important to the race and F1 in the long run.

I doubt that Lewis cares a jot for my opinion - why should you?
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3752489)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess we don't really - any more than any of us really get all that hot under the collar about someone else's opinion that they don't share. The only thing that 'peaks my interest' is when I personally find an argument illogical. But then again, there is an awful lot to our lives that is completely illogical - after all, I work in the civil service....... nuff said.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3752520)   #55
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I guess we don't really - any more than any of us really get all that hot under the collar about someone else's opinion that they don't share. The only thing that 'peaks my interest' is when I personally find an argument illogical. But then again, there is an awful lot to our lives that is completely illogical - after all, I work in the civil service....... nuff said.
We have to do something to brighten up our lives in between races, Ace, and a bit of controversy suits me well enough.

If Lewis was not a Formula 1 driver I would have no interest in his life style whatsoever, any more than I do for Graham Norton, Ant or Dec, Ossie Osbourne, indeed anyone who graces reality TV shows or soaps.

But as a follower of 'the pinnacle of motor sport since 1951 ................. well that puts a whole different shine on matters. It is all a generational thing.

Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3752530)   #56
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I shall try and embrace your 'illogicality' rather better in the future!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3752534)   #57
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I shall try and embrace your 'illogicality' rather better in the future!
Are you Spock in disguise?
Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:11 (Ref:3752536)   #58
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Are you Spock in disguise?
Evidently not Captain. Spock would never embrace illogic or indeed 'illogicality'.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3752537)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes Captain......

Time to move on, I suspect. Live long and prosper my friend.....
Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3752539)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Bob- the rot has set in! Le Tour stage winner today has an ear stud......

And after much deliberation, my vote for DotR goes to Kimi. He deserved a better result.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3752564)   #61
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I shall never watch men on bicycles again........ Tainted for life!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3752574)   #62
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Two of 'em.

Having an earring is so rebellious, in a conformist type of way.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:25 (Ref:3752578)   #63
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Getting back on track !! love him or hate him Lewis did a flawless job and if the keyboard warriors think they can do a better job than him then send your CV to Mercedes. Everyone has their favourite and F1 is always "if this or that" happened then X would have won or "if X" was driving a certain make then he would have won !
The one good thing this year is that at this moment it isn't a certainty who will win in what car and I hope it continues.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3752584)   #64
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I doubt that Lewis cares a jot for my opinion - why should you?
in fairness, i already made it clear why i took issue and am content to leave it there. frankly, im not sure why you would even want me to expand on my answer!
Old 19 Jul 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3752827)   #65
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Some can't win. People go on about how drivers don't interact with fans, yet Lewis gets criticism for doing exactly that on Sunday. Let him do it, I thought it was a nice thing to do
I honestly believe that *many* are simply jealous of Lewis Hamilton
Old 20 Jul 2017, 02:41 (Ref:3752946)   #66
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I honestly believe that *many* are simply jealous of Lewis Hamilton
Then you see an interview like this, smug, self satisfied, and happy to take cheap shot at Vettel at 4:20 about an incident he was not involved in when he doesn't have the facts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwOVPSZT8zI

Guess we know who respects who in this title battle.

Sorry, out of the car I find Hamilton just plain unlikeable!

But then others don't like other drivers for other reasons, each to their own I guess.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 06:39 (Ref:3752978)   #67
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Then you see an interview like this, smug, self satisfied, and happy to take cheap shot at Vettel at 4:20 about an incident he was not involved in when he doesn't have the facts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwOVPSZT8zI

Guess we know who respects who in this title battle.

Sorry, out of the car I find Hamilton just plain unlikeable!

But then others don't like other drivers for other reasons, each to their own I guess.
Don't see what's wrong with hamiltons comment. Just said he saw Vettel push another car wide and said it looked a little dirty, but wasn't sure if it was, in a joking/ happy manner. Not smug at all.

Yes Hamilton can moan at times but he is always very straight with his replies and thanks his team, accepts when he's wrong and when his team gets it wrong ala head rest says we learn together and move on.

Contrast that to alonso, Max who just complain about engines or Sebastian's inability to see anything he does wrong is take Lewis any day

Oh and if you're talking about who respects who in this battle....

...which driver ran into another car under SC conditions and then denied he'd done anything wrong until the FIA threatened further action. Get real man
Old 20 Jul 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3752997)   #68
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get real, they all do what they must to win. Noone is better than the other. Same as in any other sports (except maybe golf in the eighties and earlier).
Old 20 Jul 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3753001)   #69
bauble
Veteran

England
One of my many philosophies (if that is the correct definition) of life is that;

'If you asked a random selection of people for their opinion of X, roughly one third would say I love 'them/it', a third would say can't stand 'them/it', and a third would be 'indifferent/never heard of'.

Success is shifting the first response as near to 100% as possible.
Failure is have a 100% negative response.

So when the question is "What do you think of Lewis Hamilton?"

Then my rule applies, it would be interesting to conduct a poll.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 09:10 (Ref:3753009)   #70
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Like most of the threads here on ten-tenths I am enjoying reading through this one, but I think that we're starting to let our personal feelings about the drivers cloud our responses. I think that some of the comments here are getting a bit out of hand!
(This comment is not aimed at any recent posts, it is just an impression that's building up).
Naturally, if we like/dislike anyone, that opinion will cloud our interpretation of that persons actions/reactions to situations that arise.
I admit that I do quite like HAM (but don't think he's faultless) and don't think so highly of VET (but don't believe him to be that anti-Christ), and I just think that we all have to understand this and not to take it too personally when 'our' driver is criticised for something we feel is not worthy of criticism.
Having said that, a forum like this is a great place for sensible debate, which is something that can never happen if we all agree with each other all of the time, and if no-one takes or states an opposing view...
Old 20 Jul 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3753025)   #71
bauble
Veteran

England
Recently Viva the discussion has become just a little heated, and the two personalities that are at the centre of the debate are Seb and Lewis. Clearly as their battle hot's up their adherents are also beginning to raise a head of steam.

By reading the posts here, I can see my 1/3rd's rule applying, and one has the impression that forces are on move in both directions depending on each persons favourite.

Personally I see Felipe Massa as a true role model for any driver, quiet, and unassuming, good team member quite willing to put the team's interests above his own, however, I have noticed, particularly on another forum I no longer visit, that these very qualities have seen him labelled as a 'patsy', and decried as being weak.

Asking a driver to move over for his team mate in todays Formula 1 is a cause for war to break out.

I might have strong views on Mr Hamilton, and am quite happy for people to disagree, but cannot understand anyone being upset about it, as you say it is just a personal opinion.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3753028)   #72
bauble
Veteran

England
Lewis Hamilton says he will race for another “five or six years” but has no plans to remain in F1 as “a commentator or manager”.

I have just seen this on the Eurosport web site.

Sorry Viva it looks like there will be no respite in the foreseeable future.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3753034)   #73
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Lewis Hamilton says he will race for another “five or six years” but has no plans to remain in F1 as “a commentator or manager”.

I have just seen this on the Eurosport web site.

Sorry Viva it looks like there will be no respite in the foreseeable future.
No problem Baub, it's a relief to know that our hostilities aren't about to be brought to a premature conclusion!
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3753062)   #74
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Like most of the threads here on ten-tenths I am enjoying reading through this one, but I think that we're starting to let our personal feelings about the drivers cloud our responses. I think that some of the comments here are getting a bit out of hand!
(This comment is not aimed at any recent posts, it is just an impression that's building up).
I tend to agree, especially as this thread title is 'Official Driver of the British Grand Prix', not 'which driver do you or don't you like- and why?'....
Old 20 Jul 2017, 22:33 (Ref:3753201)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All I have to say is, I'm glad I grew out of the favourite driver syndrome a long time a go.