Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 13 Apr 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1580414)   #1
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
AstroBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault V6 Asia Problems?

Hi,

I’ve heard a lot of negative information about these Renault V6 cars that will be running in Renault V6 Asia.

People have told me that they were unreliable when they ran in Europe (gearbox and torsion bar failures?).

Do they have slower corner speeds than a Formula Three car?

And also do you think they could be difficult to be resell them after their use in Asia.

Can anybody with experience with the cars please help me out?
Old 17 Apr 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1585824)   #2
AstroBoy
Rookie

England

So no one knows to much about these cars...?

I take that as a bad sign...
Old 17 Apr 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1585896)   #3
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the provisional calendar had a race at Sepang this past weekend? I take it that didn't happen then? The AFOS site hasn't had any news on the series for ages. Sounds ominously like yet another failed attempt to put the Renault V6 cars to use.

Sorry, I know nothing about the cars BTW.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1586931)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is the technical information for the Formula Renault V6 Eurocup cars that raced in Europe back in 2003 and 2004. http://www.renault-sport.com/en/circ.../technique.php - As far as I know the cars are unchanged at the moment.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1587083)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sepang is happening this coming weekend.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1587092)   #6
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you have the current calendar? I'm probably looking in the wrong places, but I haven't found much mention of the series anywhere (the AFOS site calendar is showing the first round as Sepang 18th-19th March, different again to the earlier version I had saved).
Old 17 Apr 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1587127)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no, i'm afraid i don't, i only know the first date from second hand information from involved engineers and what-have-you.

i believe karun chandhok has an involvement in at least one team running.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 23:59 (Ref:1587215)   #8
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In answer to the original questions. Yes there were some reliability problems early on but I believe they were fixed. The apex speeds aren't brilliant and the do suffer in L/D ratio compared to an '04 Dallara F3.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 05:48 (Ref:1587318)   #9
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Thanks folks,

What were some of the reliability problems that the cars had??

Yeah i'm not sure when the first round is either. Or has it already been? Hard to find accurate information about it.

If someone knows for sure, can they let me know.

Last edited by AstroBoy; 18 Apr 2006 at 05:51.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1588675)   #10
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Someone was telling me that they are having a test day(s) next week to try and sort out some of the problems with the cars - so they can hopefully be reliable intime for the first round (which i'm still not sure when it is).

Think it was in Malaysia - but don't quote me on that.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1588734)   #11
pimbopap
Rookie

pimbopap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBoy
Thanks folks,

What were some of the reliability problems that the cars had??

Yeah i'm not sure when the first round is either. Or has it already been? Hard to find accurate information about it.

If someone knows for sure, can they let me know.

Know nothing about calendar, tecnically the problems about the Hydraulic system were fixed in the first two three rounds in 2003 after that it happened not more than in the present world series, the torsion bars are now protected by bump stops (front)and third element rear) so it goes a lot better even if you need to pay attention; the lack of speed was (is) caused indeed by a lack of downforce due to the poor design of the body aerodinamics; together with a very heavy and high CG engine.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1589529)   #12
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
thanks pimbopap,

So the cars have been around since 2003?? I didn't realise they where that old!

What have they done since then?

Do they run anywhere else in the world?
Old 20 Apr 2006, 12:08 (Ref:1589655)   #13
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
The cars only ever ran in competition in the Formula Renault V6 Eurocup from 2003-2004.

There were plans to use them elsewhere in various aborted series:
USA: Fran-Am V6 was planned for 2004
USA: Pan Am V6 was then planned for 2005
South Africa: Never had many details, but a national series was proposed for the country (for 2005?)
Italy: The V6 Pro Series was initially to replace the 3000 Pro Series for 2006. Apparently Renault blocked the championship for some reason.
Spain: After the Italian plan was abandoned, Renault looked into the possibility of a Spanish series.
GB: Around the same time Jonathan Palmer looked into buying the cars to replace the ageing Formula Palmer Audi chassis.

Back to Formula V6 Asia by Renault, there's now confirmation the first round will be at Sepang on May 13th-14th: http://www.afos.com/news_full_afos.php?id=1217
Old 20 Apr 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1589746)   #14
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Ah ok, interesting - thanks

Do you think this latest attempt will be any different?

What were the reasons why the other atempts didn't see the light of day?

I can hardly believe they are still trying after so many failed attempts!! hehe

Hope they can get something going though, even if not this year.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 21:51 (Ref:1590256)   #15
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
I'm not too sure why the two American based attempts failed - presumably due to a shortage of teams/drivers that could afford to commit? There seemed to be a lot of interest in Pan-Am V6 when first announced, but I'm guessing it was ultimately too costly as they planned to race in both North and South America (while Fran-Am V6 would have been North America only). The Italian project was the other one that seemed to get closest to actually happening, but it sounds as though Renault pulled the plug (something to do with their relationship with series promoters Peroni?) - though I'm recalling that from translated reports... others on here may know some more concrete details.

It looks like the Asian series will at least make it to the racetrack, judging from the latest AFOS news release. But it's strange that they haven't released details of teams signing up etc. I suppose there is a gap in the Asian market for a high level single-seater series like this, as it's a logical addition to the successful Formula BMW and F.Renault 2000 championships. I hope it succeeds too.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1590528)   #16
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
It would be good if they could get the Asian Formula Three Championship to be successful.

Seems like the logical formula for the region - can get proven cars from Europe and Japan (at a resonable price).

And good for the drivers because they will drive the same cars when they progress to Europe or Japan.

Win-Win I would have thought
Old 16 May 2006, 05:14 (Ref:1611171)   #17
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Guess everyone was right about the problems with Renault Asia V6.

Karun Chandhok of India dropped out with electrical failure.

“I honestly don’t know what happened. I was leading comfortably but when I tried to engage the clutch, something gave way and the engine died on me,” said a visibly disappointed Chandhok.

The time distance between 1st and 3rd was over 36 seconds....

and only 6 cars finished the race....
(the sixth car over 6 seconds off the pace)

a shame really...
Old 16 May 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1611453)   #18
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Here are the race 1 + 2 results:

http://www.formula3.cc/content/view/9466/259/
http://www.formula3.cc/content/view/9467/259/

So Chandhok won the first race, with Mikola taking the second.

Pretty disappointing size of field - I wonder if it will get bigger in future rounds?
Old 20 May 2006, 07:40 (Ref:1614692)   #19
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
The farcical of the asia v6 renault has continued long after the chequered flag dropped last weekend.

Following the 20-lap Grand Race, the car of race winner Ananda Mikola was deemed by the Scrutineers to be in breach of the regulation preventing the use of bump stops.

The decision was taken to exclude Mikola from the results, but following an appeal from Team Eurasia on the grounds that the item specified in the regulations (a “bump stop”) and the one being used by the team (a “compression stop”) were two different components, the Stewards overturned the decision and reinstated Mikola as the winner.

This decision is now being appealed by Team Meritus and so the result remains under appeal until the outcome of a hearing scheduled for the near future.

They seem to be very unorganised! I haven't heard any positive news out of this category yet......
Old 20 May 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1614734)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, as has been said before the grid is a little on the small side. Given time however I beleive this category will grow, already the series has a couple of fairly well known drivers in the form of Mikola and Chandok.
Old 21 May 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1615539)   #21
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Yeah I agree that there is definitely room for a category like v6 or F3, but they need to do a proper job.

Otherwise Asian drivers will go straight to Europe out of go karts, or if they do a category like Asia v6 they will not be properly prepared for when they do go to Europe.

They need to get it right, and soon!
Old 25 May 2006, 03:49 (Ref:1618366)   #22
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard 6 more cars will join for the next rounds in June, when the series support the Japan GT Malaysia round. That will make a 15 car grid. From what I know AFOS only have about 16 cars available anyway.
Old 25 May 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1618470)   #23
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Yeah, I remember them saying that before the first round too!

Hope that it's true this time.
Old 26 May 2006, 05:36 (Ref:1619198)   #24
macaroon
Rookie

macaroon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yup.........14 cars confirmed for round 3 in july. the next one at sepang in june should have 11.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1640220)   #25
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Well I guess I was wrong when I said it couldn't get any worse for v6 Asia Renault, after their problematic round 1.

The second round this weekend had just 10 entries, and only 6 cars finished!!

I noticed that Mathew Haliday and Ananda Mikola qualified over four seconds off pole!!!

Something strange going on there....