Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Dec 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1784038)   #1
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Tom Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
History for Can-Am Lola please.

I have recently bought a 1968 Lola T160, chassis no. SL160/9, which was bought from the USA by Rod Leach (of Nostalgia) in the late 70's, and converted into a road car (!).

Sometime in the 80's it was bought by Alex Seldon, who raced it in the Atlantic Computers Historic GT Chamopionship in 1984. It was then sold to a German collector calld Peter Kaus.

The early history of ther car is supposed to include being bought by Carl Haas Racing and driven in Can-Am by Chuck Parsons as the Simoniz sponsored car, in 1968.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I can find out more about its history ?

I have tried Google which came up with something from the WSPR (or is WSRP !?) website, and those "facts" are being disputed.

Thanks in advance, Tom Walker.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 17:22 (Ref:1784263)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tom, although I'm hoping that you have acquired the car for 'Historic Racing Today', I think that if you are seeking to fill gaps in its early history, we might get better success in here!
Old 8 Dec 2006, 01:54 (Ref:1784623)   #3
Ol'_Motorhead
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Ol'_Motorhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker
The early history of ther car is supposed to include being bought by Carl Haas Racing and driven in Can-Am by Chuck Parsons as the Simoniz sponsored car, in 1968.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I can find out more about its history ?

Thanks in advance, Tom Walker.
I found a Simoniz booklet from 1968 stuck in the centre of the Monterey Can-Am program I picked up at the race. Sadly, I don't remember much about the race or these particular cars.

Briefly, Parsons' car carried #10. There was a second team car (both run under Haas) #26 driven by Skip Scott. They were both T-160's with seven litre Chevy engines. One of the cars won the Elkhart Lake race in 1968.

There's a historic Can-Am group (based in the USA I think) that could likely tell you more about the cars.

HTH.

Cheers.

Old enough to know better, young enough to have another go!
Old 10 Dec 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1786880)   #4
LoLola
Rookie

LoLola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Cam Am

Have you spoken to Dan Davis yet at the Historic Can Am group? They organize most of the Cam Am outings here in the US Dan DAvis also owns the Surtees T160 and is a very nice guy who would be glad to help you. Post some pictures, we would love to see it. We are trying to document the T160's still remaining and so far can only locate 6 of them so any information would be great.

http://www.historiccanam.com/background.html

Nick
Old 10 Dec 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1786891)   #5
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Nick thanks for that. I could not see anywhere on the site to communicate/post pictures.......is there a link to a forum or message board ?
Old 10 Dec 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1786893)   #6
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
I also meant to say, does anyone know the whereabouts of Alex Seldon? I would really like to get in touch with him.
Tom.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1786908)   #7
LoLola
Rookie

LoLola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pictures

I don't think you can post to the Can Am site. You can post pictures here though. Are you familiar with the procedure?

Nick
Old 11 Dec 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1787934)   #8
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Lola T160 SL160/9

This is how the car looks now
Old 11 Dec 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1788025)   #9
Ol'_Motorhead
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Ol'_Motorhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker
This is how the car looks now
Are you sure the car's a Lola and not a "Shadow"?

There doesn't appear to be a photo attached to your last post.

Cheers.

Old enough to know better, young enough to have another go!
Old 12 Dec 2006, 11:37 (Ref:1788857)   #10
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Seldon now lives in Scotland and has left historic motor racing behind him. He's more into shooting the wildlife nowadays.

Allen
Old 12 Dec 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1789116)   #11
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Ah, sounds like he wouldnt want to be annoyed then !

I reckon I am on the trail for most of the cars history except the crucial first year or two.......if Carl Haas bought it (he seems to have bought most of the Lola factory output!!) is there any way of knowing which chassis no. was raced by whom ??

It could well be that kind of record was never kept ! Ike Smith, who worked on Chuck Parsons car, told me that /2 was CP's car, not 5 or 9. But he said that, having first told me they didnt take much notice of chassis numbers !

Well the mechanics would'nt would they, but the team management might........Do Haas hold an archive......?
Old 13 Dec 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1789842)   #12
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
(Thoroughbred and) Classic Cars road-tested it in the very early eighties when it was still in Rod Leach's ownership. I'm trying to find the article in question but it might have something on the competition history.

Off the top of my head, late 1981 or early 1982, but I'm blessed if I can find the box with those magazines in it!
Old 16 Dec 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1791994)   #13
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Haas was USA Lola agent hence him taking all the Can Am cars
they do hold some archive records but finding the right guy to talk to there is the problem as someone needs to go searching for the files and there will not be many "oldies" left there

If you cant get t speak to Alex Seldon seek the team or mechanic that ran the car
I would certainly write to Alex for info although people leave motorsport very few people will tell u to p@@@ off
That more likely to happen from those that are in it !!

If u need body work tony waterman TW Mouldings on the A14 has the old lola moulds
Do you intedn to race the car in Orwell events

U seemed chuffed after the gavel went down with the purchase i often think thats the easy part getting the cars restpred to race is the harder part
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1794016)   #14
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Dont know what you mean....bit of diesel down the bores, pull 'er round the block twice and bobs yer uncle !

I'm in no rush...obviously the orwell and masters series are the current jobs. T70's will always be the iconic Can-Am Lola, but I think the T160's and later cars will come into their own given time.

As far as post auction euphoria is concerned that was probably a grimace of fear not a smile of elation ! I spent a lot of money, but I am very happy with the price, and the feedback I have had since the sale has been good.

Whether finally realising the dream is a good or bad thing, is another matter all together.........how many of us are really capable of driving a Can-Am car ??? (Cant wait to give it a try though!!)
Old 19 Dec 2006, 05:48 (Ref:1794290)   #15
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
get your team some driver to pit radio kit so the can hear you scream and brown underpants to hide the fear!
Masters representents value for money racing if you have a friend who can share the car wth you
If you get the timing right the USA historics have 1 or 2 can am races that would be worth sending the car over to