Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15 Apr 2012, 14:28 (Ref:3059559)   #2151
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
It's broadcast in 16:9 rather than 4:3 now. I couldn't see the driver names last week when I watched it on an old TV.
Thanks safc_fan89.

I need a new TV and this one is only two years old already...

P
Old 16 Apr 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3060083)   #2152
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Not wanting to go off the topic of F1, but it seems that the Beeb have Also turned their back on horse racing.

Even more money for crap soap's.
And Top Gear. *facepalm*

I am surprised they have dropped horse racing, I thought the Beeb loved paying out for sports nobody watches like rugby?

Still, I can be appeased if they direct some more cash to keep the likes of Attenborough and Pointless going.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3060101)   #2153
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

And Top Gear. *facepalm*
You're joking??!!!

I can't see what the negative fuss is about DC. He's calm, fairly articulate and doesn't get over excited, which is Ben's job after all! No point comparing anyone to Brundle, becuse he is a one-off in my book.

I agree with what Bella and others have said about EJ. He's quite good for the insight/magazine pieces but not live it seems and I always believed that he must've been a right talker to get all those ace deals in his team management days?!

Both DC and EJ could do with a bit of a push to ask brief questions and then shut up and let people answer though....

Jake's grown on me a little bit, he wasn't quite as cheeky as usual yesterday, seemed a bit more within himself which is a good thing.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 16:33 (Ref:3060353)   #2154
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Watched the Beeb today. I thought that EJ was woefull and cringeworthy on the grid before the race. DC looked out of his depth and not as comfortable as Brundle does.

During the race i thought that Ben was good, although he made as many mistakes as Crofty does, thats Petrov, no it's Kovalinen etc. DC was ok too, although i still prefer Brundles style behind the mic.

Gary Anderson sounds like he's just been woken up everytime he was on the mic. Still prefer Jake to Sky's anchor man.
totally agree
Old 17 Apr 2012, 02:14 (Ref:3060653)   #2155
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I hate it when you have to hunt for a correct HDMI channel.

Watched on beeb today, although i only joined five minutes before the race. I enjoyed it.
Meanwhile in Biafra....

I am just kidding now, come on don't beat me...
Old 17 Apr 2012, 03:39 (Ref:3060667)   #2156
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

I am surprised they have dropped horse racing, I thought the Beeb loved paying out for sports nobody watches like rugby?
Viewing figures for the 6 Nations and the F1 Championship were a similar level actually.
In 2008 for example on ITV most F1 races had a viewership of under 4 million, the only races above that were Silverstone (4.5 million) and Brazil (9 million).
In 2011 the viewing figures for the 6 Nations hit an average of 4.7 million per game. The highest of which was 9.6 million and the second highest was 8.2 million.

The 6 Nations is also a lot cheaper to produce (roughly £13 million a year less than the F1) and so are any other rugby games they may show. Its also got the advantage of being relatively quick tournament that only takes up two months of broadcasting space rather than 8. Instead of it being 16-20 events over two-thirds of the year, its 15 events over about 7 weeks.

Still believe that the F1 shouldn't have gone to Sky but the idea that no-one watches the Rugby, is a bit strange.

Apparently 11 Million people watched the National on Sunday but other than that, I doubt the BBC gets much in the way of viewing figures for horse racing (do they show much these days?). Again, its a bit of an odd decision to drop the National but they've done it before (like the F1 funnily enough) so maybe that made it easier.

Last edited by beau1; 17 Apr 2012 at 03:57.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 05:15 (Ref:3060682)   #2157
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can David Croft please stop yelling?
Old 17 Apr 2012, 06:51 (Ref:3060704)   #2158
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Can David Croft please stop yelling?
Nice to see you back Mac!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 02:54 (Ref:3061245)   #2159
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Nice to see you back Mac!
Thanks mate...
Old 18 Apr 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3061602)   #2160
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Viewing figures for the 6 Nations and the F1 Championship were a similar level actually.
This year the viewing figures for 6 nations were boosted by the story of the championship being England's performance.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3061733)   #2161
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This year the viewing figures for 6 nations were boosted by the story of the championship being England's performance.
. It just a shame that they dropped right off the cliff when France and England were dominating in the early 2000s.
Old 23 May 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3078328)   #2162
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
Just thought I would add a comment praising sky sports f1 at the moment.

Unlike the stuck up bbc who refused to use past commentary on past race re-runs or highlights that did not feature anyone from their commentary line up at the time, sky have decided to use the commentary provided with FOM's achieve footage that they have the rights too. Exactly what the fan wanted!

Avoids the disaterous situation where we have legard doing post race voice overs to cover up james allan, who ironically now works for them.

With this it means this week sky have been showing past races shown on itv and the bbc with their origional commentary with the added bonus of itv covered races being shown in full including the footage we would have origionally missed from the adverts. Alhtough sky put their own adverts in but pause the racing to do so.

All credit to them for that. They just need to sort out the fluidity of their lead anchor!
Old 23 May 2012, 14:06 (Ref:3078329)   #2163
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The "Dedicated F1 Channel" is certainly living up to its name!
Old 23 May 2012, 17:35 (Ref:3078393)   #2164
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcar View Post
J
Unlike the stuck up bbc who refused to use past commentary on past race re-runs or highlights that did not feature anyone from their commentary line up at the time, sky have decided to use the commentary provided with FOM's achieve footage that they have the rights too. Exactly what the fan wanted!
Meanwhile the BBC coverage this year is the best its ever been IMO. I've watched 3 races on Sky now (1 re-run) and found the coverage to be too formal and awkward most of the time, especially interviews. Croft is incredibly annoying with his ridiculous shouts and interruptions and its all too reminiscent of James Allen on ITV for me. When both channels are covering the race in full, there is no contest, the BBC wins everytime and the ratings drop for Sky is showing this so far. I'm just relieved I have the choice to watch it without the annoyance of having to pay through the nose to recieve it. Had I have been paying, I would be fighting all the way to break the minimum 12 month contract as the quality just isn't there for me. They may get alot better and I'm sure many here are happy, but there are also many that think the cheaper option is also the better option.
Old 23 May 2012, 18:41 (Ref:3078423)   #2165
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
totally agree the pre and post race stuff by sky is akward at best stumbling between links and not really going into the depth they promised. as both channels are live this weekend it will be a case of switching between them as both have their strengths and weaknesses. personally i would take crofty anyday over edwards, but bbc pre and post stuff anyday.
Old 23 May 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3078436)   #2166
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcar View Post
totally agree the pre and post race stuff by sky is akward at best stumbling between links and not really going into the depth they promised. as both channels are live this weekend it will be a case of switching between them as both have their strengths and weaknesses. personally i would take crofty anyday over edwards, but bbc pre and post stuff anyday.
I personally don't bother channel hopping as I like fluidity to the coverage when I'm watching. I'm in the situation where I prefer the race commentary on the BBC so changing channels during the race would be pointless. Brundle is the familar voice on Sky and I know many fans feel comfortable with that, but I don't think the BBC are any worse off with Edwards and DC. They've gelled well and I find they are alot more considerate instead of interrupting each other and provide a very informed analysis when needed. Crofty is a good gap filler but has always made far too many mistakes for my liking. It always annoys me when I can tell a driver straight away by his helmet design, yet commentators like Croft get it wrong and have to be corrected moments later. Its the guys job and I expect him to be as knowledgable as your average fan with such details to name just one example.
Old 23 May 2012, 19:16 (Ref:3078448)   #2167
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I personally don't bother channel hopping as I like fluidity to the coverage when I'm watching. I'm in the situation where I prefer the race commentary on the BBC so changing channels during the race would be pointless. Brundle is the familar voice on Sky and I know many fans feel comfortable with that, but I don't think the BBC are any worse off with Edwards and DC. They've gelled well and I find they are alot more considerate instead of interrupting each other and provide a very informed analysis when needed. Crofty is a good gap filler but has always made far too many mistakes for my liking. It always annoys me when I can tell a driver straight away by his helmet design, yet commentators like Croft get it wrong and have to be corrected moments later. Its the guys job and I expect him to be as knowledgable as your average fan with such details to name just one example.
I think that is a sound summary of the Beeb's effort so far Henners. I haven't seen the Sky feed but I will likely be in the next few weeks, so I can't compare, but I have every confidence that other than the additional magazine and old stuff Sky are providing, they're axctual weekend coverage won't match the Beebs.

Edwards is and always has been an excellent commentator, Croft is a little too dulcit for my liking, that sort of thing should be left to the summariser!
Old 23 May 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3078508)   #2168
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm thinking of buying both of these T-Shirts.
http://sniffpetrol.shotdeadinthehead....aspx?pid=4523
and
http://sniffpetrol.shotdeadinthehead....aspx?pid=4516
Old 23 May 2012, 22:44 (Ref:3078555)   #2169
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Something else popped up on sniff petrol:

http://sniffpetrol.com/2012/05/08/vauxhalladamrange/

Back on topic.

I just watched the drivers press conference on Sky (yes, it was today). Does the 'Beeb' do that? No it doesn't. Why? Because it's rubbish.
Old 23 May 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3078568)   #2170
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
It always annoys me when I can tell a driver straight away by his helmet design, yet commentators like Croft get it wrong and have to be corrected moments later. Its the guys job and I expect him to be as knowledgable as your average fan with such details to name just one example.
The commentators don't have the luxury of your 42 inch HD TV in order to pick out the colour of a drivers helmet - Geez, Vettel seems to change his as often as his underwear.

They have probably 4 screens probably no more than 19 inch with the world feed, timing data, the driver tracker and possibly the mossaic of Sky's cockpit feeds.

Their attention will be constantly changing between each of these and yet provide a seamless continual flow of commentary.

You can't seriously fault if looking at a different screen when something happens on the world feed, and they have to make an instantaneous call on which driver it is.
Old 24 May 2012, 04:53 (Ref:3078620)   #2171
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I've only watch one race on the Beeb (china i think ??) this year, just to compare and to be honest, i thought that Ben made his fair share of mistakes too. But i will forgive him as i'm not paying any extra for it.
Old 24 May 2012, 07:15 (Ref:3078654)   #2172
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Who's bumhead?

Selby
Old 24 May 2012, 09:36 (Ref:3078717)   #2173
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The commentators don't have the luxury of your 42 inch HD TV in order to pick out the colour of a drivers helmet - Geez, Vettel seems to change his as often as his underwear.

They have probably 4 screens probably no more than 19 inch with the world feed, timing data, the driver tracker and possibly the mossaic of Sky's cockpit feeds.

Their attention will be constantly changing between each of these and yet provide a seamless continual flow of commentary.

You can't seriously fault if looking at a different screen when something happens on the world feed, and they have to make an instantaneous call on which driver it is.
I wonder how often Stirling Moss changed his white Herbert Johnson?
Old 24 May 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3078780)   #2174
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
- Geez, Vettel seems to change his as often as his underwear.

Johnny Herbert used the same underwear for a lot of his career & how often did he change his helmet?
Old 24 May 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3078877)   #2175
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I just watched the drivers press conference on Sky (yes, it was today). Does the 'Beeb' do that? No it doesn't. Why? Because it's rubbish.
I agree that the press conferences can be mundane and a case of going through the motions, but I watched the last one on Sky and found you glean significantly more by watching the drivers' reactions than by the usual reading it in print, such as this one: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...2/5/13373.html
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky