Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2017, 21:28 (Ref:3741010)   #2301
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!

This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as random or as clumsy as a [road car]; an elegant [vehicle] for a more civilized age."
Old 13 Jun 2017, 23:55 (Ref:3741044)   #2302
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
NO! Don't help the drivers! The cars are already too easy to drive! No larger mirrors, nothing high tech such as rear facing cameras, proximity sensors or HUD inside the helmet. In fact NO MIRRORS! Are you confusing this series with the pinnacle of racing and what is possible?

Use the force Luke! I don't need any of your whining about not being able to see when the blast shield is down! Act on instinct!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owvpRNzoaVU

Richard
1 st law of Italian driving; Spanish too apparently; "What's behind you dona matter!"
Old 14 Jun 2017, 01:08 (Ref:3741050)   #2303
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
All joking aside, as much as we complain about drivers and rank them in order as to who belongs in F1 and who doesn't. Plus pick apart their instantaneous and "in the moment" reactions in minute detail (in slow motion the day after the race), I am generally amazed at how well the drivers do to not hit each other and race close to each other on a regular basis. So the good ones have a bit of "Jedi Knight" in them when it comes to just somehow "knowing" where the other car is.

The same goes for Indycar. Watching some of the in-car action such as at the recent Texas Indycar race... it is just unbelievable. But yet, they can only keep it up for so long and eventually there is a crash. It is inevitable.

Richard
Old 14 Jun 2017, 10:28 (Ref:3741141)   #2304
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least we don't have those outboard mirrors anymore
Old 15 Jun 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3741614)   #2305
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
there is probably a road relevance thread somewhere but was easier to put it out here.

so given Sainz' explanation that his mirrors/blind spot visibility was the cause, should F1 be looking at road cars for solutions?

a rear/side camera screen (possibly in the steering wheel) is probably a little too much but some sort of blind spot sensor on the mirrors or in the cockpit, as they have in many new road cars, could be a relatively cheap solution.

or are the cars all too close together at the start that the indicator light would just be on the whole time negating its usefulness?

or even a more analog solution with a manual ability to move the angle of the mirrors so they can optimize between starts and the remainder of the race or as they see fit?
Corvette was tired of the LMPs running up them with little warning and repurposed and improved the road going system from Delphi and now use a camera and radar system to alert drivers on closing vehicles, type, speed and direction. Much more room in a GT car for all of that but F1 wouldn't even have to reinvent the wheel, I'm sure they would though cause off the shelf would be too easy in the era of cost cutting.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 14:50 (Ref:3741651)   #2306
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
...F1 wouldn't even have to reinvent the wheel, I'm sure they would though cause off the shelf would be too easy in the era of cost cutting.
aint that the truth!
Old 21 Jun 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3745833)   #2307
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
All joking aside, as much as we complain about drivers and rank them in order as to who belongs in F1 and who doesn't. Plus pick apart their instantaneous and "in the moment" reactions in minute detail (in slow motion the day after the race), I am generally amazed at how well the drivers do to not hit each other and race close to each other on a regular basis. So the good ones have a bit of "Jedi Knight" in them when it comes to just somehow "knowing" where the other car is.
They have been racing go-karts since they were 8 years old after all, second nature to them.
Old 24 Jun 2017, 08:24 (Ref:3746381)   #2308
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not a rule change, but Silverstone have requested that F2 and GP3 have their practice sessions moved to Thursday to help them with a tight schedule.

From the spectators' point of view, this appears to mean that you will be paying extra (in the future) to just watch road sweeping machines doing their thing and marshals leaning on brooms.

There is no mention of extra races or track demonstrations.

See: http://www.autosport.com/news/report...start-thursday or https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...on-922016/?s=1
Old 24 Jun 2017, 08:37 (Ref:3746384)   #2309
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Lapped drivers will now be shown the blue flag if a car on the lead lap is within 1.2sec. It was previously 1.0sec. This will be for the rest of 2017.
Old 24 Jun 2017, 08:44 (Ref:3746385)   #2310
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Lapped drivers will now be shown the blue flag if a car on the lead lap is within 1.2sec. It was previously 1.0sec. This will be for the rest of 2017.
Which was reduced from 1.5 seconds just at the start of this season. And it has been changed because of multiple complaints from race leading drivers from this season when they then attended at the last two drivers' briefings.
Old 24 Jun 2017, 16:35 (Ref:3746449)   #2311
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
I know Soschi has fine grain tarmac, but seeing Hulkenberg perhaps even being able to complete the race on the softest compound...

Again I say, they need to add a softer compound and then rename them all so the new compound becomes the new ultra soft.
Well it seems Pirelli agrees:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...nfused-922280/

"For next year we are planning to go one step softer, because it looks like the right decision. When we made the plan at the beginning of the year we could rely only on information provided by simulation."

So yes, pleased now!
Old 25 Jun 2017, 09:19 (Ref:3746582)   #2312
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Pirelli have certainly raised their game this season, and getting rid of the hard tyre is another step forward
Old 26 Jun 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3746970)   #2313
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Not a rule change, but Silverstone have requested that F2 and GP3 have their practice sessions moved to Thursday to help them with a tight schedule.

From the spectators' point of view, this appears to mean that you will be paying extra (in the future) to just watch road sweeping machines doing their thing and marshals leaning on brooms.

There is no mention of extra races or track demonstrations.

See: http://www.autosport.com/news/report...start-thursday or https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...on-922016/?s=1
The preliminary weekend timetable shows F1 2 seater runs being liberally inserted across the entire weekend:

Thu 1200-1255
Fri 1045-1115
Fri 1440-1500
Sat 1115-1130
Sat 1415-1425
Sat 1730-1740
Sun 1110-1115
Sun 1150-1200

Plus Renault & Williams 40th anniversary parades running on each of Fri, Sat & Sun.

No extra racing, but I surmise some lucky folk will be able to buy their way into the 2 seater?
Old 21 Aug 2017, 15:56 (Ref:3760760)   #2314
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
not a rule change per say, but a suggestion coming out of the FIA that the SC could be replaced by an autonomous car in order to promote the new technology ostensibly in a way that would not detract from the show that is F1.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...future-943208/

maybe a bit of a over reaction/first reaction type thing but i cannot help but feel the irony of this.

human controlled cars get into accidents and a computer driven car is used to correct the situation...rather, how does this not take away from the spectacle of human against human racing?

isnt showcasing this technology in moments where humans make mistakes inherently an advertisement of why humans should no longer be driving cars in the first place?

anyways, this is a weird suggestion imo. hopefully its just some summer break nonsense!
Old 21 Aug 2017, 16:31 (Ref:3760763)   #2315
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On a more practical note, such a device world navigate via GPS presumably. Would the level of AI involved be sufficient to avoid debris or marshals within its prescribed route at a sufficient distance to either slow or deviate from that route, that the cars behind can react?
Old 22 Aug 2017, 01:03 (Ref:3760838)   #2316
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
On a more practical note, such a device world navigate via GPS presumably. Would the level of AI involved be sufficient to avoid debris or marshals within its prescribed route at a sufficient distance to either slow or deviate from that route, that the cars behind can react?
I aint standing in front of an autonomous safety car, that's for sure!

Wonder whether the course doctor is going to volunteer to be driven around in an autonomous car?

When the thing screws up the whole world will get to see it, hopefully nobody gets hurt.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3760894)   #2317
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder would an autonomous safety car be able to dodge a F1 approaching at 200 mph from the rear?
Old 22 Aug 2017, 09:14 (Ref:3760898)   #2318
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I wonder would an autonomous safety car be able to dodge a F1 approaching at 200 mph from the rear?
I would have thought that any dodging would be the responsibility of the approaching F1 car (whether the safety car has a driver or not).
Old 22 Aug 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3760904)   #2319
S griffin
Veteran

They need to make it idiot proof, otherwise they might as well get rid of the Safety bit of the Safety Car. It's something I can't see happening
Old 22 Aug 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3760912)   #2320
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
They need to make it idiot proof, otherwise they might as well get rid of the Safety bit of the Safety Car. It's something I can't see happening
Oh, you mean when they get rid of most of the current crop of drivers?
Old 22 Aug 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3760940)   #2321
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An autonomous safety car? It sounds like a complex solution for the basic problem to be solved. What is the purpose of the safety car? I ask seriously. I assume the primary function is to pick up the leader and enforce a maximum pace for the field. Could that not be enforced at the individual car level with much less automation? The other times I see the safety car is in wet weather red flag conditions in which the car is used to turn laps and gauge on track conditions. I can't see an autonomous car doing that unless it was very advanced. Much of that feedback is from the driver anyhow. I can see it now... "Sorry guys, robodriver says it's safe out there. Race restarts in five minutes!"

I like the idea of autonomous car development, but F1 safety car is the wrong place to experiment. Save this for an autonomous racing series to work out the kinks first.

Richard
Old 22 Aug 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3760970)   #2322
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
I can see it now... "Sorry guys, robodriver says it's safe out there. Race restarts in five minutes!"
now i am picturing kitt from knight rider having a back and forth with Whiting about track conditions.

Old 22 Aug 2017, 16:02 (Ref:3760974)   #2323
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
now i am picturing kitt from knight rider having a back and forth with Whiting about track conditions.

Richard
Old 22 Aug 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3760976)   #2324
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
not a rule change per say, but a suggestion coming out of the FIA that the SC could be replaced by an autonomous car in order to promote the new technology ostensibly in a way that would not detract from the show that is F1.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...future-943208/

maybe a bit of a over reaction/first reaction type thing but i cannot help but feel the irony of this.

human controlled cars get into accidents and a computer driven car is used to correct the situation...rather, how does this not take away from the spectacle of human against human racing?

isnt showcasing this technology in moments where humans make mistakes inherently an advertisement of why humans should no longer be driving cars in the first place?

anyways, this is a weird suggestion imo. hopefully its just some summer break nonsense!
The FIA should first try out an AI SC on the parade lap for a few races and see how it fares.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3760993)   #2325
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, the FIA should not consider or try anything. It'll upset me as it will make it less like the old days.