Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 17 Feb 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1525253)   #51
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks alot mate. That's really appreciated.

I never even realised you could just turn up at Club 100 and have a try-out. Thanks alot for the links, too. I'll check all of that out.

Selby
Old 17 Feb 2006, 19:41 (Ref:1525282)   #52
#15 tkm 4/
Racer

#15 tkm 4/ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or if you decided to go the four stroke way.....

...its alot cheaper, also the classes which you will proberly race in *being a novice* will be faster and more reliable.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 00:17 (Ref:1571011)   #53
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Getting Started

A friend of mine is interested in starting racing karts, and has asked if I would like to be involved in some way, shape or form.

He knows nothing about the game, but just wants to go racing. Which leads me to a few questions that I thought I might throw at you guys?

1) Is Senior National ("J") class the best category for a 24 year old to start racing karts?

2) What is more cost effective - National or Clubman class?

3) How much would a competitive kart (new or under 2yr old) in either of these categories cost (including chassis, engine, wheels & tyres)?

4) On top of that, what sort of costs would someone be looking at to run one for a season (including testing)?

5) Anything else a newbie should know?

Many thanks.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1571994)   #54
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being in Australia I presume I think he will find these sites most helpful:

www.nkn.com.au (website of top Aus Mag)

http://www.austkarting.com.au/ (the official karting website of Aus)

On the second website there is a section dealing with getting started, click on it!

As far as costs, umm.... How far does he want to go?! Some spend a fortune. Sadly, that it what it takes to be at the front in most classes.

karting in Aus is going through a weird and rough stage. I'm dithering over the prices and politics of it all....

Hope that helps.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1572658)   #55
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Dave.

Will forward them on - not sure if he realises just how expensive it may get yet.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1580390)   #56
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't raced for a long time, but you can make it as expensive as you want, or you can spend a reasonable amount and have loads of fun.

When picking a class your weight (combined with the kart) must be taken into account so you don't end up in the situation where there's no class where you can be competitive (even club day competitive!) An example would be if your mate is a big guy, a 'J' won't be suitable as they don't run "National Super Heavy". J's need to be driven smoothly where a S's have that little bit more power that means you can chuck it around a bit more and get a way with it.

New or 2nd Hand? Probably 2nd hand as they'll save a fair amount and be able to sell it again for minimal loss if they don't like it. Many gung-ho newbies never managed to return for a 2nd meeting! It was common practice to buy a 2nd hand Chassis and a new motor.

Ohh, answers for your questions...

1. Not if he's a big guy
2. National a fair chunk cheaper. Engine need less maintenance (rebuilds/pistons/etc), Tyres generally last longer.
3. No idea... too long out of it. Don't forget suit, suitable footwear, neckbrace (?), gloves, legal helmet, tools (couple special ones needed), something to cart it to the track (trailer,etc).
4. Depends... run your club meetings at local track, you're probably looking at $1000-$2000, maybe $1500-$2500 these days, something like that. An engine rebuild, a piston or two, entry fees, some petrol, oil, a few spark plugs, carby kit and a few sets of tyres. Start going to meetings around the state and by the time you add in food, fuel and accomodation that's when you start spending $$$.
5. Go down to the track and watch the classe(s) you've narrowed your interest down to. Make sure it's run (not enough turn up they won't run it) See the club is run efficiently, genraly things like that. Once you get on the track, learn to drive. Until your within 0.5sec of a good time, more time will be found in driving technique than endlessly fiddling with kart setup (that's not to say you don't want to get it pretty right)

Check out the Rotax catergories too. Bit faster, apparently less maintenance and an electrical starter so you don't have to push start it! (some Clubman derived classes are starting to use these too I think)
Old 18 Apr 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1588109)   #57
mac
Veteran

Thanks very much hgm. Very valuable information.

He is looking at a second-hand J at the moment, purely so he can learn the ropes and have some fun, without worrying too much about engine and tyre wear at this point

He's only average-sized - so shouldn't have too many dramas.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 14:57 (Ref:1813268)   #58
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to start

HI

I would like to start karting and do championships, but i am 16 is that too late to start and what class would I go in.

Thanks
Old 12 Jan 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1813490)   #59
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never too late James, but it depends on where you are, what budget you have and what level do you envisage racing at or getting to? Being 16 you can do all the senior championships now btw.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1813530)   #60
Jamesd
Racer

Hi

I live in Swindon, I wanted to do the racing as cheap as possible, I am going to the autosport show tommorow so I am going to ask there.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 23:04 (Ref:1813713)   #61
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Always worth asking and some of the clubs are there, but don't forget there are also a lot of the "big / bigger" professional guys there which are expensive!
Old 13 Jan 2007, 06:57 (Ref:1813840)   #62
Jamesd
Racer

Hi

Could someone tell me what sort of price it would cost to start racing at a very basic level.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 14:23 (Ref:1814268)   #63
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Price wise, have a look at www.karting.co.uk as they have a classified section in there, with various classes of karts for sale.

Also have the tracks, so you can see where they are, and then you can go and see how a race meeting is run, and talk to the people at the track.they will be best to offer advice.

apart from that there is the club100 championship, where you will need about £1500 a year to run in the 11 race meetings. The karts are a tad slower than having your own but you do not have to worry about the costs of cleaning, spares, maintenance etc.

Hope that helps a bit
Old 13 Jan 2007, 15:14 (Ref:1814307)   #64
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
help for free

HIya guys iv been racing on a shoestring budget for the past 4 years of my life while at uni in senior classes.
Drop us an email and i will try advise you.help as i can, the karting website as highlighted above has a lot of "spoof" postings and traders trying to influence you to buy. emailme on blacklion58@ntlworld.com my names chris just let me know what you are trying to do and i can help :-)
Old 1 Apr 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1880961)   #65
Manix
Rookie

United Kingdom
Essex
Manix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4 stroke v 2 stroke

We've been talking about 4 stroke v 2 stroke at Thrashed recently, 2 of our guys have signed up for Club100 this year and done their first test at Rye House (in the wet). So far, they're actually more at home in 4-strokes (having a more manageable powerband). But as I pointed out, they haven't been in a 2-stroke in the dry yet.

We'll be keeping track of their progress on the website so take a look.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 11:13 (Ref:1881017)   #66
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby
What actually is the best way, step by step, to get into karting?

I know it's probably one of the most overused questions on this forum history and i'm also sure you're probably sick of hearing it, but after College, I think it's time to go funding for it

I'm 19 and just want to get my foot in the door and see what I can do. I've only actually been karting about 8 times overall, but I've just always felt at home instantly in one and have killed my competition lol I went to Brentwood a few months ago and set a time 7 tenths down of the lap record on a **** about and I just couldn't help but think "Hmm, what if.."

So yeah, any tips/advice would be really appreciated people.

Thanks alot,

Selby
get a lisence

then whatever takes your fancy. but dont jump into something too big. i race tkm 4 stoke with sam and its really, good, cheap, great racing, has its place in super one and f6. it is also easy to learn and maintain, and very reliable. but again your personal choice. but this would be a good place to start.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2263711)   #67
Blowfish
Rookie

Blowfish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starting Out Advice?

Hi all, newbie here after a bit of advice.

Been thinking about getting into Karting for a while now and im not really sure where to begin. I have done a few days corporate karting with friends and have always been quick but thats about as far as i have got.

I now have the funds for a Kart and could probably do with some practice/training before i jump into purchasing a kart.

Also being 28 where do i begin in terms of competing? Am i to old?

Im based near Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
Old 6 Aug 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2264698)   #68
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends really what sort of budget you have, whether you want to race MSA or non-MSA, 2 stroke or 4 stroke etc etc For instance an old TKM would be far more viable than a new Rotax, but it also depends a lot on your mechanical knowledge to. Your never too old for karting though.
Old 9 Aug 2008, 04:39 (Ref:2266206)   #69
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
never too old , Im 34 and have just bought a kart again , I did race about 8 years ago though.

I dont know too much about the rules and stuff in your part of the world , but get to your local kart track on a club day and start asking questions to the competitors and club president and stuff like that.

you may (and probably will) make some bad decisions in getting started but you will learn quickly as to what you should be doing.

I cant help much but if you decide to give it a go , enjoy it mate its great fun
Old 9 Aug 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2266421)   #70
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rye House is probably the closest track to you although Whilton Mill in Daventry and Sandown Park are probably quite close aswell.

Rye House is open for owner driver testing at weekends and I think its about £40, they also do ARKS tests and driver training although I'm not sure about the cost.
Also they hire out a full blown Rotax Max as a taster, I think the cost is £130 for an hour and the Kart shop also sell second hand karts.

Have you considered Club 100 and Easykart? I've attached some links below.

http://www.hoddesdonkartclub.co.uk/
http://www.club100.co.uk/
http://www.easykart.co.uk/
http://www.rye-house.co.uk/
Old 9 Aug 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2266478)   #71
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

[QUOTE=tonful]
Also they hire out a full blown Rotax Max as a taster, I think the cost is £130 for an hour
[QUOTE]

Daylight robbery!!
Old 8 Nov 2008, 17:38 (Ref:2330702)   #72
Blowfish
Rookie

Is Rotax 125 a good starting point?
Old 9 Nov 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2331094)   #73
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My son has just passed just ARKS test so we're going through the same decision process.

Most of the advice we've had is that Rotax is more expensive to buy and a lot more difficult to set up for a beginner.

If you want to try before you buy I can recommend www.srsracing.co.uk who will run you a kart for a test day.
These are at Whilton Mill on a Wednesday and you get about 15mins every hour with plenty of help and advice.
They can also do your ARKS test aswell.

Also have look at www.kartmania.co.uk at the end of this month which will be a great place for advice and buying equipment etc.

Tony
Old 10 Nov 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2332409)   #74
Blowfish
Rookie

Rotax Max

Right decided Rotax Max is where im going to start, with a £2k budget what used Kart is going to be my best bet? Also where is the best place to purchase?
Old 10 Nov 2008, 12:05 (Ref:2332412)   #75
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TKM seems pretty good for beginners, plus it's quite a bit cheaper, and easier to maintain i've heard.