Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 27 Aug 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2529439)   #26
ziig
Rookie

ziig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
The F3 paddock has pretty much come to accept Hitech's antics.
This is more of a Portugal post...
What are the rules regarding teams testing an F3 car?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 19:46 (Ref:2529469)   #27
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Portugal testing is Friday:
10.00 – 11.30 Cooper Tires British Formula 3 Int. Series Private test session 1
13.30 – 15.00 Cooper Tires British Formula 3 Int. Series Private test session 2
with qualifying on Saturday 2 half hour sessions for the 2 races on Sunday.....time to start a Portugal thread?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2529554)   #28
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziig View Post
This is more of a Portugal post...
What are the rules regarding teams testing an F3 car?
This is from memory, but I think it's correct.

10 FOTA organised tests, mostly pre-season.

10 Pre-race tests like the one referred to by Richard B (this one looks to be much longer than usual, but that's not a bad idea on a new circuit).

5 private or Joker Day tests, where teams can go off and do their own thing, but there are quite strong limits to that. You can't test on circuits where races still have to be held (e.g. Portugal), you can't test abroad, you can't test using a competent driver who will help in developing your car etc. But you can test with a rookie-type driver who wants a drive in readiness for next season and will pay for the privilege.

Does that answer your question?
Old 29 Aug 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2530349)   #29
ziig
Rookie

ziig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Hitech's antics.
Quote:
You can't test on circuits where races still have to be held (e.g. Portugal), you can't test abroad
Interesting...
Old 30 Aug 2009, 17:04 (Ref:2531217)   #30
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziig View Post
Interesting...
ziig, you obviously know something that you're not prepared to share.

One thing I would add is that my précis of the testing restrictions was based on last year's. I have since I had a look at this year's and, unless there's something I have missed somewhere, there is a massive loophole that a smart team could easily spot and take advantage of, so what you're thinking is illegal might not in fact be so.

One other point: There are no restrictions at all on testing from the day following the last Series race meeting until 31 December in each year inclusive.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 00:45 (Ref:2531614)   #31
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...but in what category and at what level do you think it is necessary and acceptable?
Strider, that is a difficult question and the honest answer is I don't know. Like you say, we've come to 'accept' Hitech antics, we don't particularly like it, but it is what it is I guess.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2531934)   #32
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Strider, that is a difficult question and the honest answer is I don't know. Like you say, we've come to 'accept' Hitech antics, we don't particularly like it, but it is what it is I guess.
Fair enough, I agree.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 17:04 (Ref:2531955)   #33
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At a time when F1 severely - excessively in my opinion - limits between-race testing in the name of controlling costs, why don't the 'development' categories follow suit?

An extreme example is the British Formula Ford Championship, surely a category that needs a 'level playing field' to allow up-and-coming drivers to display their skills and not their budgets. The 2009 BFFC Sporting Regulations place no restriction on private testing!

Quote:
One thing I would add is that my précis of the testing restrictions was based on last year's. I have since I had a look at this year's and, unless there's something I have missed somewhere, there is a massive loophole that a smart team could easily spot and take advantage of, so what you're thinking is illegal might not in fact be so.

One other point: There are no restrictions at all on testing from the day following the last Series race meeting until 31 December in each year inclusive.