Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score does it get from you?
10 3 7.32%
9 16 39.02%
8 15 36.59%
7 6 14.63%
6 1 2.44%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Jun 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3746659)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rate the Grand Prix: Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2017

What score does it get from you?
Old 25 Jun 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3746685)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
9. Hugely enjoyable - plenty of drama and unexpected results. I stayed awake the whole race!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 25 Jun 2017 at 15:54.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3746691)   #3
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was highly enjoyable, got quite a few laughs in. But it was enjoyable because nobody thought of bringing their brains, wasn't it?

So.. 8?
Old 25 Jun 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3746693)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some actual good racing and plenty of non-racing drama. I found it enjoyable and maybe the best that I can remember in recent history. A number of memorable moments. Vettel hitting Hamilton twice, Stroll on podium, Bottas drive from the rear to take 2nd, Bottas last second pass on Stroll, Hamilton holding his car together with one hand while driving with the other, Alonso scoring first points for McLaren this season. And that is just some of the memorable moments. I gave it a 9/10.

Richard
Old 25 Jun 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3746695)   #5
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very entertaining. Filled with drama, controversy and unexpected results. Stroll on podium, McLaren scoring points and to top it off Riccardo winning. And they said Baku was boring.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 15:56 (Ref:3746704)   #6
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There I was thinking we were all in for the usual snooze fest as Hamilton drove off into the distance but no. Thisa was so much like an IndyCar street race. Cautions breeding cautions. Drivers banging wheels. Drivers getting themselves back on the lead lap. Three wide down the main straightaway on the restart. Drivers getting stop and go penalties for running over the tyre hose. No that didn't happen. It all made for a pleasant change.

Old 25 Jun 2017, 17:38 (Ref:3746732)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very enjoyable race, Stroll trying to keep ahead of Bottas was very exciting stuff to watch, shame it ended in such an anticlimactic manner as Bottas just walked all over Stroll with a lame DRS pass at the finish line.

Gave it an 8.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3746737)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well that race had just about everything, best race so far by a mile so gets a 9 from me
Old 25 Jun 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3746753)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Most entertaining F1 race I've seen in years. I'd give a 10 if not for the red flag. Good fun and interesting throughout!
Old 25 Jun 2017, 19:10 (Ref:3746781)   #10
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
It was messy, and as many drivers commented "crazy", but by heaven's it was entertaining, and even gave me a break halfway through to make the bacon butties .

If there hadn't been some outbreaks of stupidity (Hello, Seb) and Max hadn't had a breakdown, it could have scored higher - but still an 8!
Old 25 Jun 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3746795)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
8 - glorious chaos.

I'm sure last year was a snoozefest at this track (??), so this was unexpected.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 21:52 (Ref:3746830)   #12
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I gave it 7.

Obviously the entertainment value was way above that, but for all the wrong reasons.

When will someone realise that the safety car is incompatible with a sporting event? Kick it into touch and use the virtual safety car every time.

It also struck me that if they got rid of wings, barge boards, diffusers and any other appendages there would be much less debris on the track. Which on it's own would mean fewer safety car periods. And would mean that F1 cars could return to being cars instead of upside-down aeroplanes.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 23:51 (Ref:3746843)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I gave it 7.

Obviously the entertainment value was way above that, but for all the wrong reasons.

When will someone realise that the safety car is incompatible with a sporting event? Kick it into touch and use the virtual safety car every time.

It also struck me that if they got rid of wings, barge boards, diffusers and any other appendages there would be much less debris on the track. Which on it's own would mean fewer safety car periods. And would mean that F1 cars could return to being cars instead of upside-down aeroplanes.
They don't have this problem with the SC in IndyCar and 4 of the calendars venues are on street courses. The problem with the SC, as with this Sunday's race, is the lead driver sets the pace prior to the restart.

In IndyCar, after the starter gives the “one lap to go” before return to green-flag conditions signal, cars must line up in single-file formation with no gaps or lagging between cars. The leader of the field under the yellow condition, is required to maintain pace lap speed until reaching a designated point (restart cone) where the leader is required to accelerate smoothly back to racing speed and the green condition will be declared. If the leader or any other car accelerates before the restart cone, the restart may be waved off and/or cars may be penalized. Equally, If the leader or any other car accelerates before the restart cone, the restart may be waved off and/or cars may be penalized.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 08:47 (Ref:3746900)   #14
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
They don't have this problem with the SC in IndyCar and 4 of the calendars venues are on street courses. The problem with the SC, as with this Sunday's race, is the lead driver sets the pace prior to the restart.

In IndyCar, after the starter gives the “one lap to go” before return to green-flag conditions signal, cars must line up in single-file formation with no gaps or lagging between cars. The leader of the field under the yellow condition, is required to maintain pace lap speed until reaching a designated point (restart cone) where the leader is required to accelerate smoothly back to racing speed and the green condition will be declared. If the leader or any other car accelerates before the restart cone, the restart may be waved off and/or cars may be penalized. Equally, If the leader or any other car accelerates before the restart cone, the restart may be waved off and/or cars may be penalized.
Yes, of course the F1 safety car start procedure is appallingly bad and there must be numerous waysthat it could be better. It's not just Indycar that does it better, every non-gearbox kart race has a rolling start too.

My biggest gripe is with the concept of using a safety car at all. Allowing drivers to recover the ground they have lost to a faster car/driver is fundamentally counter to the concept of a sporting contest. The "virtual safety car" ispretty good and desperately under-utilised at the moment. I think perhaps it could be improved by adding a super-low speed limit (using an etension of the pitlane speed limiter) in any area that required it (ie where marshals are on track).

Sadly I have to conclude that the safety car is an ecuse for spicing up "the show" and we F1 fans used to be highly disparaging of Indycar and Nascar for using that method. Yesterday David Coulthard openly expressed the opinion that the safety car was being used that way.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3746908)   #15
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Yes, of course the F1 safety car start procedure is appallingly bad and there must be numerous waysthat it could be better. It's not just Indycar that does it better, every non-gearbox kart race has a rolling start too.

My biggest gripe is with the concept of using a safety car at all. Allowing drivers to recover the ground they have lost to a faster car/driver is fundamentally counter to the concept of a sporting contest. The "virtual safety car" ispretty good and desperately under-utilised at the moment. I think perhaps it could be improved by adding a super-low speed limit (using an etension of the pitlane speed limiter) in any area that required it (ie where marshals are on track).

Sadly I have to conclude that the safety car is an ecuse for spicing up "the show" and we F1 fans used to be highly disparaging of Indycar and Nascar for using that method. Yesterday David Coulthard openly expressed the opinion that the safety car was being used that way.
I'm not talking about the rolling start, at the beginning of the race but restarts under the SC.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3746962)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
9 for the drama....some good some bad but overall incredibly entertaining and unexpected for me.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3746965)   #17
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It went from a 10 at the start to a 0 when Kimi got hit. It stayed at a 0 and started to claw its way up to a 5. The drama kept on happening and it eventually clawed its way to a 9.

Then when I reflect back on Kimi's outcome it goes back down the toilet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 Jun 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3747013)   #18
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm not talking about the rolling start, at the beginning of the race but restarts under the SC.
I know. But I don't see any difference between a rolling start and a rolling restart.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3747017)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I know. But I don't see any difference between a rolling start and a rolling restart.
This will explain the difference in IndyCar. I'm not too sure about NASCAR but it's probably similar.

https://www.indycar.com/Fan-Info/IND...s-and-Restarts
Old 26 Jun 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3747109)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!

Got a bit cringeworthy at times, but it was never dull
Old 26 Jun 2017, 20:44 (Ref:3747111)   #21
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
8 What a weird bit of chaos.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 00:22 (Ref:3747144)   #22
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
8 - wonderful chaos and I really like the venue & track layout, it just seems like a special place.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 04:34 (Ref:3747180)   #23
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
9, couldn't tear myself away.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3747671)   #24
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Manic but good race, not on the same level as the 2003 headrest GP though.

Old 11 Jul 2017, 09:19 (Ref:3750348)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Pretty enjoyable race. I would give it an 8, but the poll has closed.