Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 May 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2195578)   #26
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cavvy, that is a fair call considering your feelings about smoking. There's something to be said about Models/Historics. When do we start blurring tobacco adverts in old video - and don't laugh, because in wrestling they have had to edit out thousands of hours of video to delete logo's.

PS - my comment was meant to be tounge in cheek - my apologies for not inserting something to make it clearer (it was done at late o'clock...lol).
Old 6 May 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2195599)   #27
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys you also have to remember this.

You would have to pay royalties to the ciggie company's.

Now how much would they want???????

The other thing is do they "WANT" there name on a toy? (it is a toy in the way model cars are classified.)

So this leaves all of us with a problem.
Old 7 May 2008, 01:57 (Ref:2195653)   #28
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all very well for the miscreant politicians, manufacturers, do-gooders etc to say 'we can't show cigarette advertising' but what they are effectively trying to do is change history. The original photo's are a good example - they are NOT the cars they purport to be (hmmm a case of false advertising looming??)

Thus my previous comment about Sir Walter Raleigh - he introduced tobacco to Europe - why hasn't this been stricken from the history books - it is, after all, a 'dangerous substance'....

(Of course anyone could currently head down to the museum in Melbourne for their Drug Display where they continually refer to 'recreational drugs'. Since when have drugs been 'recreational'????
Old 7 May 2008, 01:58 (Ref:2195654)   #29
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivola
Guys you also have to remember this.

You would have to pay royalties to the ciggie company's.
You may want to check this further but I don;t believe any royalty would be required.
Old 7 May 2008, 02:57 (Ref:2195662)   #30
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I agree that it is wrong, but, laws are laws. :-\ I know over here, if you want to buy a model/shirt/any bit of merchandise from a NASCAR team that is sponsored by hard liquor (Crown Royal, Jack Daniels), you must show ID that you are over 21 to purchase it. Too bad it can't be like that for Cigarette branding. :-\ I actually would want to buy that PJ Falc, even if it is a Ford. The old V8SC's looked goooooooooooood.
Old 7 May 2008, 03:52 (Ref:2195677)   #31
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
(Of course anyone could currently head down to the museum in Melbourne for their Drug Display where they continually refer to 'recreational drugs'. Since when have drugs been 'recreational'????

umm...personally, on and off for the last 14 years. Great fun. Not sure what you're trying to say.
Old 7 May 2008, 04:56 (Ref:2195690)   #32
NewsStalker
Veteran

I find it hard to understand how a legal substance can be banned in the manner it is yet illegal substances (ie drugs) can be readily displayed and discussed and called 'recreational'.

Something is seriously wrong with a society that gets these two mixed up.
Old 7 May 2008, 05:43 (Ref:2195698)   #33
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Interesting things to consider -

Despite the cigarette warnings, alot of people are affected by "Alcohol related issues". People who die from kidney failure, or car accidents caused by Alcohol don't get listed under alcohol deaths.

How many family's have been affected by Gambling? A member goes out and loses alot of money, only to become severely depressed and...well, you know the rest.

Yet, Alcohol advertising and Venue's with Gambling scenes continue to fly under the radar.

These are all things, and include tobacco here, that are readily seen in society. If we banned advertising of portable gaming consoles, we'd still see them at our mates places, and our kids or younger siblings would all still see them.

While the legislation is there, and we need to respect it (and possible future bans under Mr Rudd), I still feel there is a lack of information and education about on issues like this (and wasn't that where Tobacco tax was meant to go?).

A general rant. I guess it's pertinant in that regardless of a 1/18th Commodore having Marlboro or a Nissan have Winfield or a Ford having PJ, smokes are out there. We see them, and we choose/choose not to smoke the buggers. It's a darned shame that we are losing our history due to this, and could lose more (The Jack Daniels commie would look pretty bland, right?)
Old 7 May 2008, 06:01 (Ref:2195702)   #34
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen a novel approach to this -

A Company called Slot.It produce slot cars (similar to Scalextrics) with period advertising, they do a LeMans Silk Cut Jag and a Rothmans Porsche

Here's how its delivered -

Those patterns can be removed using stick tape to reveal the correct Silk Cut wording. Maybe something Biante could do..
Old 8 May 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2196624)   #35
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put simply, I would rather not see the 93-94 PJ EB Falcon replicas sold, if they can't have tobacco advertising on there. Seton's history and legacy is being destroyed by do-gooder politicians with no idea. If we want *******isation, just leave it to the army, not the politicians.
Old 8 May 2008, 18:17 (Ref:2197080)   #36
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seton Fanatic
Put simply, I would rather not see the 93-94 PJ EB Falcon replicas sold, if they can't have tobacco advertising on there. Seton's history and legacy is being destroyed by do-gooder politicians with no idea. If we want *******isation, just leave it to the army, not the politicians.
Well that's a bit dramatic. I don't think his legacy is being destroyed by lack of peter jackson decals. Storm in a teacup.
Old 8 May 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2197211)   #37
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
I find it hard to understand how a legal substance can be banned in the manner it is yet illegal substances (ie drugs) can be readily displayed and discussed and called 'recreational'.

Something is seriously wrong with a society that gets these two mixed up.
Well, tobacco is not banned, the promotion of it is heavily restricted. Society recognises that is both addictive and harmful, and costly in terms of healthcare/social cost etc. It's been decided that, while still protecting your legal right to freely ingest this substance, that we should not allow it to be advertised, in an effort to reduce how many people take it up. I would question how worthwhile this has been, personally. I'm an ex-smoker, and very glad to be, but I don't know how much a lack of advertising would have altered my desire at age 16 to take up a habit I knew was a bit wild, rebellious and cool. Anyway...

Meanwhile, illegal drugs can reasonably described as 'recreational', particularly in a museum, because whether society officially likes it or not, it's the truth. And a museum is supposed to reflect and facilitate discussion of the truth, not society's wishful image of itself. A significant percentage of the population uses banned substances for, well...having fun. Recreation.

I'll readily agree there's something messed up about society's attitudes towards the various substances it's individual members want to use. There is no logic to it.
Old 8 May 2008, 22:41 (Ref:2197227)   #38
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Forget the fag advertising....I saw the Peter Jackson Grid Girls in the flesh so to speak or rather tight lycra suits really,at Bathurst,when I was but a young,naive and impressionable young chap and this encounter has left me addicted to a life of unnatural and deviant behaviour........
Old 9 May 2008, 01:10 (Ref:2197278)   #39
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
The legacy of Brock, Senna and hopefully one day Denny Hulme in a nice B+H M3 will continue unaffected by the lack of cigarette advertising. The models don't look as nice, but they live on.

Have a chai latte, seton fanatic.
Old 9 May 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2197648)   #40
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know whats worse, some peices of metal and plastic wihtout certain stickers on them, or the fact smoking is seen as less of a rist to your health than drinking.

Both should be banned!

The models themselves, well, they should be made the way they were driven. What next, Models of V8 Supercars coming out with V6s under the bonnet, because they are overpowered for certain drivers....
Old 9 May 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2197861)   #41
Nivola
Racer

I cant believe some of you guys saying that these models.

If you go to Biantes forum you will find a post that explains to you all exactly what is allowed and why things are done.

Why is it now that it comes to a seto model and you crack the you know whats but you never did when the winfield GTR was done, all the brock and HDT cars and aslo with some of the other cars that are coming out.

The VK big Banger doesnt look to bad naked!!!!!!
Old 10 May 2008, 00:03 (Ref:2197938)   #42
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Oh really? Interesting... hey... *coughs* ... nice signature by the way
Old 10 May 2008, 03:28 (Ref:2197970)   #43
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why is it now that it comes to a seto model and you crack the you know whats but you never did when the winfield GTR was done, all the brock and HDT cars and aslo with some of the other cars that are coming out.
The thread is more to do with why the real pictures used in the advertisement had the PJ signage removed, not with how the actual models look.
Old 10 May 2008, 05:37 (Ref:2197992)   #44
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I cant believe some of you guys saying that these models.

If you go to Biantes forum you will find a post that explains to you all exactly what is allowed and why things are done.

I've only seen the winfield GTR models with the signage.....
Old 10 May 2008, 08:34 (Ref:2198074)   #45
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cigarette advertising on kiddie cars.... Narh, nothing wrong with that.

I don't think anyone is trying to rewrite history here.

Right or wrong, there is a law. Biante, Matchbox, Airfix, whoever, they're trying to make a buck within the law....

History is safe fellas.

Now a big Marlboro sign down the side of the Wiggle's Big Red Car....Would that be wrong too?
Old 10 May 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2198095)   #46
I16
Racer

I16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Years ago the Marlboro exec's thought that if they introduced a serious and fashionable Marlboro clothing brand..... marketed to the GP fans and sold via the stands at GP events they could at last circumvent the laws of tobacco advertising.
I and a few others thought it should have worked - but they were so full of themselves they had to let it be known that all they wanted to do was sell more fags.
Old 10 May 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2198108)   #47
Nivola
Racer

I have to say that the reason for the removal of the PJ's would have been so that you know what you are buying.

It could be seen as false advertising to have the PJ's on the side and then not produce them.

you want VK image here is the link to the model gallery on biantes site.

http://www.biante.com.au/new-model-showroom_137.htm

This is to show a model with out the decals.
Old 11 May 2008, 04:31 (Ref:2198590)   #48
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA

Now a big Marlboro sign down the side of the Wiggle's Big Red Car....Would that be wrong too?
No history's not safe mate. Does this mean past photos will be altered as they have been on the Biante site?

And what the hell have the Wiggles got to do with anything?

"Yeah history's safe, she'll be right fellas, fair dinkum", typical passive bloody attitude that allows crap to happen in this world.
Old 11 May 2008, 04:58 (Ref:2198601)   #49
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the photo's there to advertise the model they are selling, then yes it will be altered. If it's just photos in a gallery (e.g. autopics.com.au or similar) then they are able to be displayed without a problem as far as I can tell.
Old 11 May 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2198651)   #50
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVO
And what the hell have the Wiggles got to do with anything?

They sell kiddie toys too.

I'll take the obsession with these cars a bit more seriously if everyone stops talking as if it's end of the world stuff. If you want to collect model cars or you're a big Seto fan, good for you. What you do with your time and money is your affair and no one has the right to belittle you. Hey, we all have vices and passions.

However when you put your argument and comments into a public forum you invite opinion that may differ to your own. I've alway though the Biante models to be nothing more than oversized and overpriced matchbox cars being marketed to adults with a passion for motorsport, but I respect your right to spend your disposable income on whatever you want. But I don't agree that its the end of the world or the PC do-goody police have gone ballistic.