Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 May 2010, 21:55 (Ref:2685673)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The ITM 400 is now a V8SA Event

It was announced yesterday in New Zealand that V8 Supercar Events will take over the running of the ITM 400 in Hamilton from the incumbent promoter, CSM.

It has been a rough two years for CSM and with the current economic climate it seems that Hamilton City Council and V8SA moved to secure the long-term future of the event - Hamilton City Council have shown their commitment by extending their contract with V8SA to 2017.

The NZ Herald Story

The Waikato Times Story

Well done to Steve, Dean, and the ITM 400 CSM team on your efforts thus far. You have created an event to be proud of - it's sad that it didn't quite work out economically given the current economic climate.
Old 7 May 2010, 07:53 (Ref:2685824)   #2
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the WA comparison

Viewed thru the eyes of a follower of V8 management & their dealings over many years in Western Australia, jdi, good luck.

To me this is a more relevant article because Coch0 is about the public purse:

V8 deal stuns ratepayers
By NIKKI PRESTON - Waikato Times Hamilton City Council is "gambling more of ratepayers' money on the Hamilton 400 supercars event" and the odds are against it, ratepayers opposed to the race say.

News of the council signing a new seven-year contract with the organisers, V8 Supercars Australia, to promote and run the event until 2017 has been described by some as backing a losing horse.

The council and V8 Supercars, however, are confident of success.

Hamilton Citizen and Ratepayers Association president John Easto said he was gobsmacked by news of the deal.

The council stood to lose a lot more than the $1.78 million debt carried over from the promoters and $7.95m owed for infrastructure.

"What a lot of nonsense," he said. "That's a gamble. They are already losing money – they haven't made any money from it.

"They are going to go for another seven years on the possible chance they may recoup some of the money they have already lost. What a ridiculous idea."

Ratepayers didn't get anything from the event and any economic benefit was enjoyed by restaurant, bars and accommodation providers higher up the food chain, Mr Easto said.

Despite estimates the event brought $20m to the region annually, Mr Easto said it was not reaching the people who mattered.

Living Streets co-ordinator Judy McDonald feared the council was making a big mistake since the event had not proved to be financially viable in the past three years.
"I'm very disappointed. I am concerned for the city's image and long-term sustainable futures for projects like this."

History showed the Hamilton 400 deal was not going to work.

"Because their livelihoods (former promoters Dean Calvert and Steve Vuleta) were on the line, they would have been trying as hard as they could to make this work."

Both Mr Easto and Ms McDonald hoped a new council would take over in October and "see some sense".

However, Hamilton Mayor Bob Simcock stressed the event was never about making money for the council, but rather an economic benefit to the city.

Mr Simcock said council had stressed to V8 Supercars Australia that relationship-building needed to be done with some businesses in the city, but thought most ratepayers appreciated the positive impact of the street racing event.

The Frankton Business Association is surveying 350 businesses in and around the race track to gauge community feelings. The results will be collected next week and could lead the group to object to a resource consent being granted for the three-year extension.

Retired Waikato University professor Warren Hughes thought the benefits outweighed the risks. "It is a risk, but I feel confident the Australians will have the finance behind them."

Meanwhile, Hamilton City Council chief executive Michael Redman said council had decided against chasing the former promoters – Mr Calvert and Mr Vuleta – for the $1.78m owed to council.

V8 Supercars Australia director Geoff Jones said he was confident the "festival" planned for Hamilton next year would be a money-making machine.
Old 7 May 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2686298)   #3
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was wondering when this would happen. But good on the old promoters for getting the race up and running.

As for the article saying businesses didn't get anything from it - I find that hard to believe, as people have to eat and stay somewhere and the flow on effect goes to other businesses....

If the V8SC promoters do what they've done over in the gold coast, sydney & townsville it'll be one hell of a party...
Old 7 May 2010, 23:20 (Ref:2686309)   #4
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nomad: A lot of the businesses around the circuit are industrial-type supply operations - engineering, electrical and plumbing supplies, car dealers, furniture, sign writers etc.

Around by Turn One, there is a Dominos, a supermarket, and Supercheap. All of these businesses could do ok by doing deals on presentation of your ticket. Dominos could sell pizza to race goers in a breakfast promotion - 4 slices for $5., The supermarket could do a V8 Race Survival Pack with energy drink, beer, sun tan lotion, water, bikkies, crackers and cheese, some deli meats. Supercheap could offer a 15 or 20% storewide discount on presentation of your 3-day pass and give a Hot Lap with Russell Ingall as a prize for shopping on each day of the race.

If the signwriters were clever, they would be doing Ford and Holden car stickers and flicking them off too.

There's plenty of ways to leverage off fans at a street race other than howl to the media about how painful it all is.

Get creative and make some coin, instead of saying that it doesn't help your business.

It will no doubt be a rate payer sour pint though that the council is walking away from the $1.8 million - very brave in an election year!
Old 7 May 2010, 23:49 (Ref:2686320)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n View Post
If the V8SC promoters do what they've done over in the gold coast, sydney & townsville it'll be one hell of a party...
V8SA promotions hasn't done anything with Gold Coast yet. Sydney and Townsville have only had 1 year. I would look how things are fairing in the 3rd and 4th year to get a better indication of the success of the event.

Kind of like Hamilton which was heralded a success after the first year but has run into severe trouble in the ensuing years.
Old 8 May 2010, 00:16 (Ref:2686328)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I was wondering when this would happen. But good on the old promoters for getting the race up and running.

As for the article saying businesses didn't get anything from it - I find that hard to believe, as people have to eat and stay somewhere and the flow on effect goes to other businesses....

I agree, I'm sure at a minimum the service and travel industries see revenue from the race.

Hamilton is not exactly a tourist destination. People don't wake up one morning and go "honey I think we'll pack off and head to Hamilton for vacation this year". I've been there a number of times and other than passing through or attending to business(girlfriends, etc), there is no real reason to go there. The race at a minimum brings outside people to Hamilton and also lets people know Hamilton even exists. I can say with 100% certainty that there are Kiwis that have never heard of Hamilton(south island folks mostly).

Not to knock the previous promoters but like a lot of businesses sometimes it's time to move them onwards to someone else to take them to the next level. The V8 Supercar bunch seem to have the grasp on how to get it done, so I expect some changes.

For one thing the track isn't all that hot and isn't much of an entertainment spectacle. I will watch the Hamilton races from this year but will probably forward through them because otherwise it will be a snoozer. Perhaps the track needs a rethink.
Old 8 May 2010, 00:29 (Ref:2686331)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Nomad: A lot of the businesses around the circuit are industrial-type supply operations - engineering, electrical and plumbing supplies, car dealers, furniture, sign writers etc.

Around by Turn One, there is a Dominos, a supermarket, and Supercheap. All of these businesses could do ok by doing deals on presentation of your ticket. Dominos could sell pizza to race goers in a breakfast promotion - 4 slices for $5., The supermarket could do a V8 Race Survival Pack with energy drink, beer, sun tan lotion, water, bikkies, crackers and cheese, some deli meats. Supercheap could offer a 15 or 20% storewide discount on presentation of your 3-day pass and give a Hot Lap with Russell Ingall as a prize for shopping on each day of the race.

If the signwriters were clever, they would be doing Ford and Holden car stickers and flicking them off too.

There's plenty of ways to leverage off fans at a street race other than howl to the media about how painful it all is.

Get creative and make some coin, instead of saying that it doesn't help your business.

It will no doubt be a rate payer sour pint though that the council is walking away from the $1.8 million - very brave in an election year!
I think a lot of this is all new to Kiwis and really I think seeing how Nascar does things would open some eyes. Go to any town that has a Nascar race in the locality and the "Welcome Race Fans" banners printed by various sponsors are often up all year at various businesses. A lot of it is on the part of the sponsors and promoters to work together as a mutual benefit with the local businesses and vice versa.

Motorsport down under is torn between that of old England with stuffy tie wearing blazer brigade and clubby inwardness with the power and money held by a select few and the benefit of everything for a select few, in contrast with the mass consumerism capitalistic motor racing scene of America, which V8 Supercar has embraced completely. Doing things American style is in contrast to the old ways and obviously for many it rubs them the wrong way or they just don't understand that hey, we can all benefit, make a buck and have a great time and party on.
Old 8 May 2010, 09:14 (Ref:2686429)   #8
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well put Mount.

The Aussie media thrive on confrontation, e.g the 27 members of the Save Albert Park crowd. Pump it up, its easier than genuine journalism.

It will always be difficult to evaluate financial benefits from events although from my understanding of Hamilton, it'd be easier than say Homebush.

I wonder the agenda of those doing these reports, what is their brief, is it to justify a position?
Old 8 May 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2686506)   #9
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think a lot of this is all new to Kiwis and really I think seeing how Nascar does things would open some eyes. Go to any town that has a Nascar race in the locality and the "Welcome Race Fans" banners printed by various sponsors are often up all year at various businesses. A lot of it is on the part of the sponsors and promoters to work together as a mutual benefit with the local businesses and vice versa.

Motorsport down under is torn between that of old England with stuffy tie wearing blazer brigade and clubby inwardness with the power and money held by a select few and the benefit of everything for a select few, in contrast with the mass consumerism capitalistic motor racing scene of America, which V8 Supercar has embraced completely. Doing things American style is in contrast to the old ways and obviously for many it rubs them the wrong way or they just don't understand that hey, we can all benefit, make a buck and have a great time and party on.
Bill France Jr once commented that he would love the see the towns the NASCAR series visited get behind the race as much as the Bathurst locals appeared to got behind the Great Race.

I guess his wish came true.
Old 8 May 2010, 21:42 (Ref:2686699)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
For one thing the track isn't all that hot and isn't much of an entertainment spectacle. I will watch the Hamilton races from this year but will probably forward through them because otherwise it will be a snoozer. Perhaps the track needs a rethink.
Pretty much sums up Hamiltons problem,flogging a dead horse for another 7 years wont change much.
Old 8 May 2010, 22:01 (Ref:2686709)   #11
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mount you hit the nail on the head, because I'm sure there are motels and hotels that people need to stay in for the race weekend? And don't forget supermarkets to feed the people....

But the city needs to get behind it to really push it, take your head out off the sand and think off ways to get people there and spending money... I work in the gold coast at a hotel that used to house all the teams from indy but that all changed last year so we had to come up with ways to get money through the doors and to tell the truth it was really successful. We sold car parks and also had a breakfast combo going.... So I challenge those in Hamilton to get behind it and really think outside the box
Old 9 May 2010, 02:19 (Ref:2686775)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Mount you hit the nail on the head, because I'm sure there are motels and hotels that people need to stay in for the race weekend? And don't forget supermarkets to feed the people....

But the city needs to get behind it to really push it, take your head out off the sand and think off ways to get people there and spending money... I work in the gold coast at a hotel that used to house all the teams from indy but that all changed last year so we had to come up with ways to get money through the doors and to tell the truth it was really successful. We sold car parks and also had a breakfast combo going.... So I challenge those in Hamilton to get behind it and really think outside the box
I think it's easier for people to complain and maybe grovel for a handout rather than getting out there and working for it. As I said I think a lot of this with motorsport being so integrated into a town via a street race is rather new to a lot of people in New Zealand so they really need to work on finding ways to get everyone locally onboard and involved. And work on ways to make the event fan and sponsor friendly. Some of the spectator complaints I heard are quite valid.
Old 9 May 2010, 21:15 (Ref:2687518)   #13
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there were quite a few businesses with welcome V8 banners around this year, and you guys are right, there is little else to bring people to Hamilton (they lost Rally NZ this year which moved further north). The new promoters are looking to alter the track to make the racing/viewing better & hopefully will put together a better package of support classes than was evident this year (GT1 please......_)