Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:39 (Ref:1977154)   #1
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Vettel moves to F1 - WSR View

To try and take an alternative viewpoint to the thread already in the F1 forums, Vettel has now gone to F1, almost certainly for good. In my view, this means he has raced his last WSR race, which changes things dramatically.

Until now he was the clear favourite for the title, but since he's not going to be racing any more, that leaves a lot of questions open. Who will be the new front-runner? Parente will be de-facto leader, but his performances lately have been dissapointing.

Also, who will take his seat at Carlin? Someone moving up from a lesser team, or someone from another competition entirely?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:50 (Ref:1977162)   #2
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is likely to be someone Red Bull backed at least. Sebastien Buemi, Tom Dillmann, Jean-Karl Vernay and Edoardo Piscopo are their entrants in Euro F3. One of them could combine the two championships maybe?

If they do what they did with Adrian Zaugg last year then a Eurocup promotion could be the way - that could mean Brendon Hartley, Oliver Oakes, Mika Maki, Jamie Alguersuari or Stefano Coletti.

Reckon Filip Albuquerque, Alvaro Parente, Ben Hanley and Milos Pavlovic are the ones to watch in the WS now though
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:13 (Ref:1977181)   #3
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's sad to see Vettel leave the series, but hopefully now we might see a four-way battle develop between Parente, Albuquerque, Hanley and Pavlovic for the title. At the moment, I would say that Hanley has the upper-hand, but with only ten points between the four of them and ten races left, who knows?

As to who will replace Vettel at Carlin, I know he's not a Red Bull-contracted driver, but wouldn't it be ace if Sean McIntosh was finally brought out of the motorsport wilderness. He had a successful WSR season last year (finishing 6th overall) and he tested for GD Racing pre-season, putting in some decent times. Finance could be an issue for him, but I think Carlin could do a lot worse.

Out of all the RB affiliated drivers, I would think Sebastien Buemi, Adrian Zaugg or Edoardo Piscopo are the most likely.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:31 (Ref:1977198)   #4
Sev
Veteran

Personally I can't see Buemi or especially Zaugg joining Carlin. They both have fairly comfortable seats in GP2 right now, and at good seats. To move to WSR would be a bizarre step down.

As for the champion, I'm backing either Albuquerque or Hanley; the other two are too old :P
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:42 (Ref:1977209)   #5
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No chance of Buemi stepping down now - he's firmly seated at ART.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 13:27 (Ref:1977248)   #6
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
As for the champion, I'm backing either Albuquerque or Hanley; the other two are too old :P
I'd still love to see Parente win it. After following his career for the past few years, it would be absolutely massive for him. The prize Renault F1 test alone would undoubtedly lead to more media exposure and, hopefully, more sponsorship for him to be able to move up to GP2 with a half decent team.

And from a purely selfish point of view, the 9/1 odds I took for him to win the title are suddenly looking much better now with Vettel's departure
Old 31 Jul 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1977261)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR Fan
I'd still love to see Parente win it. After following his career for the past few years, it would be absolutely massive for him. The prize Renault F1 test alone would undoubtedly lead to more media exposure and, hopefully, more sponsorship for him to be able to move up to GP2 with a half decent team.
I agree with all of that.

I'm mildly hacked off that Vettel has disappeared, since he was my original tip for the title, but Alvaro winning would more than compensate.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1977274)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJB
It is likely to be someone Red Bull backed at least. Sebastien Buemi, Tom Dillmann, Jean-Karl Vernay and Edoardo Piscopo are their entrants in Euro F3. One of them could combine the two championships maybe?
none of the above have really covered themselves in glory (vernay excepted, but he's hardly been stellar consistently), so i think it would be well considered of red bull to leave them where they are (with the exception of buemi who is already not there any more).

personally, i'd actually rather like to see vettel do both f1 and wsr, is it possible or are there clashes?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 14:16 (Ref:1977282)   #9
Sev
Veteran

Well, they clash this sunday for example.

Vernay's the pick of the still-in-F3 drivers, but I think he needs another year there before he's ready to move up.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 14:52 (Ref:1977316)   #10
hotwheels
Racer

hotwheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
Well, they clash this sunday for example.

Vernay's the pick of the still-in-F3 drivers, but I think he needs another year there before he's ready to move up.
No clash between WSR and F1 these Sunday, but what would be the point about making both championships? If I was Mr. Carlin, I would try to promote someone from their own F3 squad.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 14:55 (Ref:1977318)   #11
hotwheels
Racer

hotwheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it is funny how a "crowded" programme like RB sometimes looks like missing some talent. They've lost one F1 and one GP2 driver and now they just can't replace every seat properly.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:01 (Ref:1977327)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
well, they've gone on slight overkill haven't they. i wonder whether they properly assess drivers - dropping them halfway through a season is starting to become a habit. first klien and fleming, now speed, ammermuller...
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1977352)   #13
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..plus the ones that usually don't see the end of their Formula Renault or Formula BMW seasons!

I didn't know Ammermuller was really out. I'd actually heard that Piscopo was out, but he was racing in Red Bull colors in Zandvoort wasn't he?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 22:41 (Ref:1977695)   #14
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just wonder, why can't Parente take Carlin's vacant seat. AFAIR he was contracted to them in F3, did good job, really good job. I know he's not contracted to Red Bull, but still, we don't know if Red Bull will fill the vacant seat. If not, Parente is the the obvious pick.

If Red Bull fill vacant seat and Ammermueller is off from ART, he should take Vettel's seat.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1977697)   #15
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR Fan

And from a purely selfish point of view, the 9/1 odds I took for him to win the title are suddenly looking much better now with Vettel's departure
Just like it rocketed Danielsson's career forth last year yes?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 22:50 (Ref:1977702)   #16
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Danielsson is a different story mate. You know he made some mistakes in the off season. It wasn't only lack of backing.

Parente's situation worse, he doesn't know if he'll be in a car next year, like he didn't know if he was in a car this season. He doesn't have backing mate. If he'll win this championship, I hope he'll move to fully backed FIA GT or WTCC, maybe Japanese series. This season can save his career.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 01:25 (Ref:1977765)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With Vettel out of WSR, my question is: What about Mikhail Aleshin? Can he turn into #1 of his team? On Monza he was stunningly fast.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 15:13 (Ref:1978308)   #18
EuropaBambaataa
Racer

Portugal
EuropaBambaataa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Old? Parente is 22. He started racing in F3 at age 16.

I like electronic boom-boom-boom sounds. So what?
Old 1 Aug 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1978511)   #19
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola
With Vettel out of WSR, my question is: What about Mikhail Aleshin? Can he turn into #1 of his team? On Monza he was stunningly fast.
You're right, he was brilliant at Monza, but IMO he just seems to have gone off the boil in the last few races. OK, he finished 7th in Monaco, but I thought he was a bit lacklustre and should have been higher. And his Race 2 performance in Hungary was a bit of a shambles: A spin on the opening lap, and then fighting back through the field he takes out Pippa Mann and limps home in 20th place.

There's no doubt he's got the speed, he just needs to get a bit of consistency under his belt. I wouldn't rule him out of the title battle just yet, although I think he would need a run of form like Danielsson had late last year and for other results to go his way to be in with a realistic chance.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 23:27 (Ref:1978658)   #20
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
No worries WSR Fan, Aleshin will be in F1 in next two, three years, he's good, and he's Russian.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 08:05 (Ref:1978834)   #21
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe a bit of topic, but his name is written Aleshin instead of Alyoshin which would be more accurate I guess...
Old 2 Aug 2007, 18:45 (Ref:1979273)   #22
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
That's how they pronounce in Poland and Russian speaking countries. ANd yeah, that is correct version.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 22:40 (Ref:1979467)   #23
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forget Red Bull juniors, get Risatti at Carlin, he does not deserve the GD mess he is suffering this year.

As for the title, Parente or Hanley would do fine for me.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 23:04 (Ref:1979496)   #24
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GP2 rejects are Ammermuller & Viso I guess as possibles?
Old 3 Aug 2007, 11:13 (Ref:1979799)   #25
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ammermuller can't take the seat without admitting he's not really injured, and Viso wouldn't want to step down as it would admit he's not an F1 driver.