Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 24 Jun 2002, 17:18 (Ref:470175)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How's this for oversteer! Great photo.

I was sent this photo by Cyd Williams. It shows him racing his Formula Atlantic Brabham BT40 at Snetterton in 1973.
The location is the once great 'Russell' flat out kink.
Cyd sent it to me as I need it for a painting I am doing for him. You just don't see this too often with modern single seaters..shame.
For those who don't know, Cyd started racing in saloons with a Lotus Cortina in 1966 and progressed as far as F2, although he once tested a Frank Williams F1 March at Oulton.
Attached Thumbnails
cydsnett.jpg  
Old 24 Jun 2002, 18:34 (Ref:470174)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"tested a Williams at Oulton Park" - I think by that he tested the scenery! didnt he actually hit the bridge when he destroyed Williams car? Oulton Park Gold Cup I think.
Old 24 Jun 2002, 18:49 (Ref:470176)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, he did have the unfortunate 'run in' with the bridge where the March came off worse! He told me it was in a test though, not a race. I believe the car he tested was Pescarolo's usual race car from '72. A good little racer though was Cyd. Excellent in F3, FSV, F.Atlantic and the occasional F2 outing.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 21:43 (Ref:470180)   #4
Fred Scatley
Racer

Fred Scatley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it may be a photo I took, I have taken so many from that position at Russell over the years I can't be sure
Old 1 Jul 2002, 10:40 (Ref:470177)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes Fred, it is indeed one of your great shots - I've just checked the back of the photo. I hope you didn't mind me posting it. Looking at the reference photos Cyd has sent me, many are yours - excellent!
Old 2 Jul 2002, 11:04 (Ref:470170)   #6
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fred Scatley !!! - great to see you're still around. Don't see you at any meetings these days. Everyone takes pictures at Russell, I had some great shots from you through the Bomb Hole, not a place many people go.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 11:31 (Ref:470178)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The Bomb Hole used to be a great place before it was named that as part of the 'Esses' on the old long circuit. Even used to have a Grandstand!
Fred has taken some remarkabls shots hasn't he?
Did you get the jpeg of the Mallock painting Tony for your site?
Old 2 Jul 2002, 14:11 (Ref:470173)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome aboard Fred, its a great photo. One of those you just want to drool all over!

Also reminds me, my Dad says he's got a photo of him on full opposite lock coming out of Druids at Brands in a Formula Ford car, must remind him of that one.

Last edited by paulzinho; 2 Jul 2002 at 14:12.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 20:19 (Ref:470181)   #9
Fred Scatley
Racer

Fred Scatley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is oversteer, B Pomfret at Woodcote
Attached Thumbnails
b pomfret.jpg  
Old 17 Jul 2002, 20:24 (Ref:470171)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You'll be telling us next that he caught it!

Actually, it's Barry we're talking about, here, so he probably did at that.

Great photo.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 21:17 (Ref:470172)   #11
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Tim D I didn't manage to catch it! There were two problems, 1. the driver ran out of skill when it eventually got to that angle and 2.copious quantities of back axle oil leaking from the half shaft seal onto one rear brake causes serious oversteer.
www.barrypomfret.co.uk
Old 17 Jul 2002, 22:37 (Ref:470179)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Superb!