Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2001, 08:13 (Ref:76884)   #1
laxman
Racer

laxman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I dont know what exactly was the problem with schumacher's car except that he had some vibration.But you could visibly see the oversteer he had especially through the senna s.Why would ferrari set up a tail happy car for a race.Those work only for qualifying.I know they had problems with the setup but it dosent take a genious to set up a neutral car.I thought schumacher had a more neutral car for qualifying.You could see problems only with the other ferrari.How can they get it so wrong in the last moment!
Old 3 Apr 2001, 08:39 (Ref:76889)   #2
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's Schumi's driving style, laxman. He sets it up relatively light at the rear and more brake-bias to the front. On approach of the apex on the brakes, the moment he lifts the brakes, the rear steps out (often mistaken for a drift. Have a '70's tape for that. ) a bit because of this set-up. That points the car in the right direction for the exit and is in turn controlled by putting the throttle on.

When the balance of the car is disturbed by either set-up mishaps, tyre flat spots or the driver isn't at his best that day, the car will tend to be quite annoying.

I noticed a "whobble" by Schumi at the exit of the Senna S's at one time, but that's because of the nature of the cars and can be more or less diminished by the set-up. It was about the same movement as Montoya and others had in qualifying. The front-end slides a bit, then plugs, causing the back to step out, thus followed by snap oversteer. This obviously has been pronounced this year by the sticky tires and may cause some more problems in the GP's to come.
Old 5 Apr 2001, 15:14 (Ref:77762)   #3
laxman
Racer

laxman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Dino, i didnt realise you had posted a reply.here's my response.
Q&A with ross brawn after the race:-
"Q: Is it the case that the intermediates are not much slower than the wets, but aquaplaning is a bigger problem?

“That’s the thing that you have to watch, but really aquaplaning wasn’t Michael’s problem. He just had no stability in the rear end of the car. He came on the radio and said I think you’ve fitted the tyres the wrong way round, because the car was so bad. Which we hadn’t done, but that’s how it felt. The car behaviour in the race compared to when we used them before was just night and day.”

Sorry,TGF does not set his car THAT loose at the rear.It was a problem with the car which made the rear slide a lot.This looked like oversteer to me on first look.