Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Jun 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1000090)   #1
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats The Deal With Lewis Hamilton?

Is he out of his depth or is it a problem with the Manor package.

If the problem is with Manor, then his loyalty by remaining with them is really affecting his reputation.

Personally, I think Manor might have alot to do with it because Lewis is constantly faster than his team-mate but they are both lagging behind the top team drivers.

Last edited by Frank_White; 10 Jun 2004 at 20:20.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1000094)   #2
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems similar to the problems Mark Taylor had there
Old 10 Jun 2004, 20:46 (Ref:1000141)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They're only usually a few tenths away.

It's his first year in F3 and the team's first in the Euroseries.

I think it's going OK.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1000227)   #4
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see how you can be out of your depth when you are looking at qualifying times. Lewis can cut it, in depth terms, in any championship.

If you're quick, then you're quick. If you're quick and you're not quick, the car's not right
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 10 Jun 2004, 23:14 (Ref:1000276)   #5
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you send a team into the Euroseries with no previous experience of that championship, a new engine, different tyres and a rookie driver, what do you expect? ASM, Signature,Rosberg,Prema etc have been 'round the Euroseries block' a few times and have excellent,experienced F3 drivers on board. I think Manor/McLaren have been a touch optimistic unless they intend to do a two year programme of course.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 23:17 (Ref:1000282)   #6
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manor went into F3 in 99 and were fantastic because they brought new thinking to the championship. Then they slowly got stuck in their ways like everyone else and now sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt
Old 10 Jun 2004, 23:30 (Ref:1000289)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's be too easy for him so he needs to suffer a bit or he'll never make it.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:07 (Ref:1000530)   #8
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that this was a two year assault on the euro series, first year to learn the tracks etc and second year to try and win the championship.
Motor-racing is a fickle business and in order for Hamilton to get where he wants to be he will have to either win or come very close next season. Good luck
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1000546)   #9
superMINI
Racer

superMINI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excuses excuses. Jamie Green's showing that Lewis Hamilton is no more special than any of the other top Brit drivers. He just has hype and a lot of money behind him.

Put him, Carroll, Watts, Rossiter, Green, Lloyd in a head to head and there'd be very little in it.

He's not a Schumacer, he's a Jenson Button.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1000582)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALewis is at his first F3 year, thus he deserves some time to fit.
Moreover he's running his debuting season in ther toughest F3 series worldwide, thus he can be expected not to burst into and outrun the regulars.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1000590)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Manor are on a learning curve in Europe and so is Hamilton, so it's twice as hard. The only thing that doesn't add up is the blinding speed they showed in Korea at the end of last season, but then none of the Mercedes teams were there.

Green is showing well because its his second year in F3 and he learnt all he needed to know last year with Carlin.

It will be really interesting when Manor and Hamilton come and do their couple of races over here.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 10:42 (Ref:1000607)   #12
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by foxy mole
It will be really interesting when Manor and Hamilton come and do their couple of races over here.
I wouldn't hold my breath about Manor coming here if I were you f-m...

From what I was told when I was in Pau it is looking increasingly unlikely that they will be coming over here after all
Old 11 Jun 2004, 12:10 (Ref:1000701)   #13
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What did everyone expect of Hamilton and Manor? To come in and wipe the floor? When Manor entered British F3 in 1999 it was the first year of a new generation of Dallara – therefore everyone had to start from scratch. They've come into the Euroseries in the third year of the current cycle of Dallara and with a driver with next to no F3 experience.

So Mark Taylor had the same problems with Manor? Similar results, yeah, but that was because he wasn't quite good enough. In his first year of F3 he was alongside Derek Hayes, who kept Manor in the hunt for the championship for the first half of the season – and he was hardly a World Champion of the future.

Don't knock Manor. They haven't had a real top class driver (in an F3 sense) since Pizzonia in 2000. They're having to learn the Kumho tyres and all the tracks. Lewis is well funded, yeah, but so are a lot of the other drivers in the Euroseries (can't imagine Mercedes are letting Jamie Green knock around on a shoestring).

Give them a chance and they'll come out fighting in 2005, and hopefully Lewis can fight for the right to succeed Jamie's hoped-for 2004 title.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1000742)   #14
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can't expect Lewis and Manor to be running away with both championships. As has been pointed out, it's Lewis' first season in F3, and the fact it's Euroseries makes it harder. It's Manor's first season in F3Euroseries too. They (team and Lewis) are both trying to learn the tracks, from set-up and driving points of view.

Lewis and Jamie are both good talented drivers, that can go a long way. However, Jamie has more experience in F3 than Lewis too, which is a factor. Manor and Lewis AREN'T going to wipe the floor this season. By mid August / Sept, I hope to see them with 1) a more reliable car and 2) at least one podium finish from either Lewis or Zwolsman, although it would be good to see Lewis on the podium again, so that next season they can build on this, and hopefully be challenging for the championship.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 20:07 (Ref:1001088)   #15
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New Driver, New Team, New Tracks. Nuf said!!. McLaren should have put him with an experienced outfit. Watch out when they get their act together.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 00:15 (Ref:1001243)   #16
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To get their act together theey need very veery serious deevelopment in their Dallaras. Not just set up work. So obviously to do development you need a lot of money and some time. The lack of the latter is their problem.
Next year Mr. Hamilton!
Old 12 Jun 2004, 00:53 (Ref:1001260)   #17
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by superMINI
Excuses excuses. Jamie Green's showing that Lewis Hamilton is no more special than any of the other top Brit drivers. He just has hype and a lot of money behind him.

Put him, Carroll, Watts, Rossiter, Green, Lloyd in a head to head and there'd be very little in it.

He's not a Schumacer, he's a Jenson Button.

to the point superMINI - i agree with some of the statement.... which part though i am still thinking about

do you think jenson button will beat schumi in canada this weekend
Old 12 Jun 2004, 12:41 (Ref:1001652)   #18
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
And so, once again, it appears to be proven that it is the team/setup which is more important than the driver, when the driver cannot get on the pace immediately.

Lewis is a really quick driver. He has had a lot of time in F3 now, and is in his 3rd year in the team. The team have had a lot of experience (and success) in setting up an F3 car and winning with it. I don't believe it would take Lewis very long to learn a new track - eg Macau, etc last year. So the driver is good, with experience, the car is good, the team is good, the driver/team relationship is good, the engine is good - therefore the only reason they aren't up there must be that they aren't able to get a setup right (in time) for the tracks?
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 12 Jun 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1001655)   #19
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe the others are just better?
Old 12 Jun 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1001662)   #20
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
It is possible, but I don't think so - I think Lewis rates with the top guys. Whether or not he is better will depend on how he gets on in the bigger classes. I would suggest that if he was head and shoulders above the rest, he would have demonstratedd it by now, however
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1001695)   #21
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by flor
maybe the others are just better?
IMHO Green is not better than Hamilton, Manor are new to the Euroseries and consequently have no setup data for the tracks like the other teams. They did however have knowledge of Macau and Korea.

It also doesn't help that Lewis doesn't have the same calibre of teammate that some others do.

It will happen for them, of that I have no doubt.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1001817)   #22
Gforce
Rookie

Gforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is hard for manor and hamilton to be in euro series as F3L said had no data, but Green is in a car that has been in the euro series since the beginning and they know tracks and data, Manor have come blindfolded and are doing very well to have got this far!
Old 12 Jun 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1001823)   #23
Tom Horley
Racer

Tom Horley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Lollipops and Lewis isn't far off the pace if at all.

I really dont think Green is better than Hamilton. It's unfair to compare them this year when Green has more experience and is in one of the top teams. From what I have seen of it and from what Lewis has said, he's having some bad luck.

People should give up with the 'Lewis has a huge budget' trick because although he has, just about every other driver in that series has too. There's alot of manufacturer support out there: RDD, Toyota etc..
Old 12 Jun 2004, 17:58 (Ref:1001955)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very fair assessment, Tom Horley.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 18:48 (Ref:1002003)   #25
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
This is Green's 3rd year in cars, same as Lewis