Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Jan 2009, 10:55 (Ref:2364911)   #1
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBR’s big 2009 shake up

Reading through this article, it got me wondering just how well SBR (particularly Davison) will do in 2009...

The article suggests that Bright starting the season in a BF is a positive one for him, but potentially a real problem for the SBR drivers. How long till an FG comes for Bright then?

Hopefully the Giz will be running at the front, those Kiwis need another driver to support for the 13 rounds that aren’t Bathurst!
Old 4 Jan 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2364914)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My No 1 team is SBR and im really hoping they move forward this year
Old 4 Jan 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2364916)   #3
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the following bit from that article...

Quote:
The most notable disappointment has been Courtney; whose failure to win a single round in three seasons is a stat that even a Royal Commission would struggle to make sense of.
Old 4 Jan 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2364925)   #4
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But what that quote from the article completely overlooks is that no SBR driver had won a round in the last 3 years....i.e. Ingall, Courtney or Van Gis.
Particularly coming off the back of winning the championship the previous year, even Ingall couldn't get his SBR car to the top again.

Last edited by touring fan01; 4 Jan 2009 at 11:45.
Old 4 Jan 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2364942)   #5
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Yeah, the article doesn’t really compare the strength of the cars mechanically against the big British teams which made Courtney’s job harder than it could have been. I guess that stuff would all be included in the Royal Commission though... right?

Seriously though, Courtney did appear to have the fastest car on quite a few occasions, and didn’t get the job done... but that is ground already well covered.

This should really be more of a Giz/Davison/Bright thread than another Courtney one!
Old 4 Jan 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2364963)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i really like Brighty always have he deserves to be up the pointy end again. so long as he is behind atleast 1 Holden with no Ford ahead of it.
Old 4 Jan 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2364990)   #7
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO the sooner Bright's put in the same car as the other SBR drivers, the sooner they'll be back to winning ways. The speed has been there with Courtney, Ingall and van Gisbergen, but plenty of people have commented on their lost development skill since Ambrose left. Bright could provide that skill and experience, but they might need to consolidate for 2010.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 01:21 (Ref:2365346)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Bright will also likely have to step up his fitness regime as well....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Jan 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2365407)   #9
GreaseMonkey99
Rookie

Australia
GreaseMonkey99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They will be a force. IMO the SP car will be the best livery on the grid as well...
Old 5 Jan 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2365463)   #10
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was reading the article about PCR in V8X and found it interesting that paul C said that the stones ruled out being able to supply any FG's other than the two for themselves. I guess this just proves that they really are the "second" factory ford team. Seems strange that a team with such a large engineering background cannot build more than two new cars with the lead time that the ford teams have had with the FG. I mean 888 are building 5 for the start of the season and FPR are building at least three. Once again it just seems strange to me.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 10:13 (Ref:2365467)   #11
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Davison confirmed (enews) today. Three year deal. Will be intresting to see how he fits in with the team. Him, Bright and Van Gizbergen could be a storng trio in my view.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2365592)   #12
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator22
Alex Davison confirmed (enews) today. Three year deal.
Three years for IWRIN or for Davison?

Contract or not, if a Power or Briscoe was heading to domestic racing or a Holdsworth was switching manufacturers, Ford Racing instructions would surely suggest the installation of a big-name pilot in the coveted manufacturer backed number 4 seat...

Davison was less than super quick (slow even?) in the perfectly good Perkins Commodore he raced, SBR seem to be quite sure of a Whincup-esque transformation? A GT car is obviously a very different beast. [Same goes for WP installing Reynolds into a top Commodore on the back of superb GT-style results, despite less than quick times in the development series in a car like the one he will actually be racing.]

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 5 Jan 2009 at 13:02.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2365612)   #13
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Firstly, is Holdsworth really a big-name pilot? He's very highly rated around here, but I have my reservations. The battle between him and Caruso will certainly be one to watch this year.

Secondly, the Perkins Commodore that Alex drove may have technically been 'perfectly good', but I doubt the same could be said of the engineering support provided for his entry...

I agree though that Reynolds doesn't seem ready for main game duties just yet.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2365908)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Wood
I agree though that Reynolds doesn't seem ready for main game duties just yet.
He took "two" for the team, being shunted to PWR in 2007 and achieving illness for Rick Kelly to take over the Autobarn car.... a main game ride seems to be his reward for this....
Old 5 Jan 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2365913)   #15
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah i agree HW, i seem to recall a few mechanical failures in his time there, i believe even Clipsal while in a fairly decent position pulling over to the inside of the track between 2 & 3 (or is it 3 & 4 - after the fast kink after the chicance)
Old 5 Jan 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2365923)   #16
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mt Buller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
He took "two" for the team, being shunted to PWR in 2007 and achieving illness for Rick Kelly to take over the Autobarn car.... a main game ride seems to be his reward for this....
There was the incident in the factory Elfin at Mt Buller for David Reynolds.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 03:13 (Ref:2366768)   #17
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To paraphrase Larry Perkins following Davison's stint with the team; "Alex has no touring car talent and won't make it as a V8 Supercar driver."

Will it ring true?
Old 7 Jan 2009, 04:08 (Ref:2366779)   #18
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow i didnt know larry said that he really doesnt rate the guy. Some guys take a bit longer than others to get up to speed, whincup got dumped twice before he got to 888 so you never know what alex will be like in a years time.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 04:34 (Ref:2366790)   #19
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic.v814
whincup got dumped twice before he got to 888
Where was the second time?
Old 7 Jan 2009, 04:55 (Ref:2366795)   #20
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tasman werent going to renew his contract at the end of the year so i guess he technically didnt get dumped but they didnt want him around anymore
Old 7 Jan 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2366853)   #21
drift king
Racer

drift king should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason Larry bad mouthed Davison so badly was because he was spending the least amount possible on that Autobarn entry to just get it on the track, he had to justify to Autobarn, Holden and everybody else why the performance was so bad. So obviously it was going to be that the driver is an idiot, not that he himself is! Davison never had a test day in 2005 and never had an engineer.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2366913)   #22
lala1980
Rookie

lala1980 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift king
The reason Larry bad mouthed Davison so badly was because he was spending the least amount possible on that Autobarn entry to just get it on the track, he had to justify to Autobarn, Holden and everybody else why the performance was so bad. So obviously it was going to be that the driver is an idiot, not that he himself is! Davison never had a test day in 2005 and never had an engineer.
Thank you Drift King. Glad to see someone set the record straight. Give a driver inadequate equipment, no engineer, destroy the driver's confidence but hey, remain a legend in the sport as a team owner!! Alex deserved better and it goes to show that those who are good enough will get their break. Now in great equipment with a class act of a team.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2366947)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Interestingly Mr Simonsen never got a handle on the Autobarn Commdore, LP-style either... yet when he was in the 888 Fords... especially 2007, he was at the very front of the field on pace.

Maybe this is a sign for Mr Davison?
Old 7 Jan 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2366959)   #24
Woolcor
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane Qld
Woolcor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neither did Dumbrell, and still hasn't. So maybe Larry does know what he's on about.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2366974)   #25
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
GTR, do you remember what Mr Tratt had to say about the standard of prep undertaken on the Toll VY?

Also, I would be surprised if the effort made for the Autobarn car was anywhere near as good as it was for Dumbrell's car(s) Woolcor...