Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:27 (Ref:1978004)   #1
Smokey blue
Rookie

Smokey blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First timer

Hi, I am hoping to start sprinting and hillclimbing and have got my MSA nat B, filled in my club membership app etc. Being a little mad, I went out and bought a Radical SR3 Tracksport to enter in the Sports Libre class. It has the 1300 Busa engine (Standard) but the car runs on Dunlop radials. These will be to hard when cold and so new tyres are needed. Should I go for some soft Avon crossply's or start out with something more forgiving ? The Radical have odd wheel sizes 15" fronts and 16" rears fitted normlly with 200/580/15 and 260/605/16.
Also as the car was racing, do I need to get it log booked before my first sprint ?
Any other tips etc ?
Many thanks SB
Old 1 Aug 2007, 12:02 (Ref:1978150)   #2
DaveK
Racer

England
Whitchurch
DaveK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best bet is to call BMTR who supply all the soft compound tyres for hillclimbing, they will be able to advise on what is available in your wheel sizes.
Radicals have been used before so it shouldn't be a problem.

If the car doesn't have a log book already then yes it will need one, if you look in the blue book at the list of scruts, then you should be able to find a local one or speak to the designated scruts before you first event and they can log book at the meeting, provided they are fore warned.

Dave
Old 1 Aug 2007, 12:14 (Ref:1978170)   #3
Smokey blue
Rookie

Smokey blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks Dave. Most Rads run on 13" wheels, so plenty of tyre choice I will give BMTR a ring.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 11:28 (Ref:1994429)   #4
Westysprinter
Racer

England
Washington
Westysprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jumping in with a Radical - is it road registered, I'm wondering how you would test it. If its not road legal then you cant do track days, and for a test session you would need a race licence.
Sorry to bombard you as a newbie, I'm thinking of going single seater and have come across the same problems.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1994504)   #5
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Oh yes you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westysprinter
Jumping in with a Radical - is it road registered, I'm wondering how you would test it. If its not road legal then you cant do track days, and for a test session you would need a race licence.
Sorry to bombard you as a newbie, I'm thinking of going single seater and have come across the same problems.
Liverpool Motor Club's trackdays do permit Racing Cars (both single seat & sports libre) to take part in their two trackdays at Aintree. They have a seperate session for these cars so that the performance differential does not cause any problems. See the club's website for details.

Old 22 Aug 2007, 15:43 (Ref:1994568)   #6
Jim Spencer
Rookie

Jim Spencer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westysprinter
Hi

Further to Steve's post above.

Not come across there being any requirement to have a trackday car road registered anywhere - certainly not at any track day I've been too.

Most won't allow single seaters (again see Steve's post) but anything with covered wheels seems to be fine.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 11:47 (Ref:1995754)   #7
Westysprinter
Racer

England
Washington
Westysprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A colleague of mine turned up in his road registerd Westfield race car one day at Croft and was turned away because it was "a competition" car!
surely its a matter of insurance and the belief that by being MOT'd n road registered the car is in good order?