Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 17 Feb 2015, 15:09 (Ref:3505809)   #326
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
On Sunday the campsites and car parks are full of cars loaded up for the return, yes they are not 100% safe but as most people strike camp and load the cars up as stuff is safer in a locked car than a tent especially as the capsites are empty of people as they are all watching the race sunday afternoon.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 06:40 (Ref:3506043)   #327
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The terminus is about 10 minutes walk from the Dunlop bridge. When going back into town at busy times then I would go to the terminus as the trams can be rammed by the time they leave making it difficult to get on at Tetre Rouge.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 09:06 (Ref:3506086)   #328
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
Hi GT6,

Also wondered if someone could confirm what the viewing is now like at The Porsche Curves now that the track/run off has been profiled? And are the viewing/photo opportunities better on the outside or inside here?
Hi Badlands,

Too early to show how the spot will be after works. Yesterday, I went to this spot to see the works but actually nothing remarkable. A few workers where disassembling the barrers but they didn't know exactly what would be done after. They told about the butte where the spectators stay that will be moved back without other details. The question is will it be so high than now.
I'll regularly go to the porsche curves to follow the works.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 18 Feb 2015 at 17:36.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 11:11 (Ref:3506138)   #329
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Your information is gold to us Eric!
Old 18 Feb 2015, 18:16 (Ref:3506246)   #330
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I looked through the entire 46 pages and didn't find an answer to my question. I seem to recall seeing something about needing a reservation if taking the TGV. How does one go about making that reservation? Does this have to be done through Rail Europe (I'd rather not go through them if I can avoid it, long story of the strike last year, having paid for insurance but them finding some clause that meant I was not refunded even though they didn't get me where I needed to go), or can I go directly to the TGV company?

Second question, if I'm taking a train other than TGV is it reasonable to think that I can just pay for and get on the train once I am at the train station? For example, I'll be driving down to Angers from Paris, but may wish to just take a train from Angers to Le Mans for Monday and Tuesday before the race (my cousin will be coming with me but would have the car to do other things). Could I just go to the station in Angers and buy a ticket to Le Mans and vice versa?
Old 18 Feb 2015, 18:57 (Ref:3506263)   #331
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I looked through the entire 46 pages and didn't find an answer to my question. I seem to recall seeing something about needing a reservation if taking the TGV. How does one go about making that reservation? Does this have to be done through Rail Europe (I'd rather not go through them if I can avoid it, long story of the strike last year, having paid for insurance but them finding some clause that meant I was not refunded even though they didn't get me where I needed to go), or can I go directly to the TGV company?

Second question, if I'm taking a train other than TGV is it reasonable to think that I can just pay for and get on the train once I am at the train station? For example, I'll be driving down to Angers from Paris, but may wish to just take a train from Angers to Le Mans for Monday and Tuesday before the race (my cousin will be coming with me but would have the car to do other things). Could I just go to the station in Angers and buy a ticket to Le Mans and vice versa?

Answer to first question - generally, tickets can be exchanged on the day of travel. In 2013 I missed the train I was supposed to take to Le Mans by almost 2 hours and I could still exchange my ticket (in exchange for a €12 surcharge) for a train which I was able to catch.

Second question - no idea.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 19:15 (Ref:3506274)   #332
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this one is for the French to answer.
When I am travelling from Amsterdam to Paris by 'TGV' (it is called Thalys in Holland). I buy tickets online in Holland. Remember the more early I buy tickets, overhere it is only possible 2 months in advance, the cheaper the tickets are. They are however non refundable and it is not possible to get on an other train. For TGV you need reservation. Other transport by train you can buy tickets at the trainstation.
But again wait for the French to answer.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 19:17 (Ref:3506275)   #333
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
For fun I just tried booking a TGV ticket from Le Mans back to Paris for the 14th of June. Unfortunately everything goes back to that Rail Europe company which I refuse to give any more money to. If anyone is familiar with a method by which an American can buy tickets without having to use Rail Europe please let me know. Even if I buy the ticket in Paris earlier that week, can I do that at least?
Old 18 Feb 2015, 20:25 (Ref:3506301)   #334
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
For fun I just tried booking a TGV ticket from Le Mans back to Paris for the 14th of June. Unfortunately everything goes back to that Rail Europe company which I refuse to give any more money to. If anyone is familiar with a method by which an American can buy tickets without having to use Rail Europe please let me know. Even if I buy the ticket in Paris earlier that week, can I do that at least?
First, to get a TGV Ticket you MUST book it. Try this site :http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train . If you don't book your ticket for the TGV you risk not to have some place. It depends of the timetable. The booking price will be higher if you try to take one at peakhours ( often early in the morning 7am-9am or in the afternoon around 5 pm ).
Then if you want to take another train than the TGV, from Paris to Le Mans the journey is around 2 hours long instead of 55 mn with the TGV.
However, I recommend you to take the TER http://www.ter.sncf.com/pays-de-la-loire/ between Angers and Le Mans.
These are very comfortable trains and you can buy your tickets at the station some time before your journey no booking needed
Old 18 Feb 2015, 22:06 (Ref:3506329)   #335
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
First, to get a TGV Ticket you MUST book it. Try this site :http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train . If you don't book your ticket for the TGV you risk not to have some place. It depends of the timetable. The booking price will be higher if you try to take one at peakhours ( often early in the morning 7am-9am or in the afternoon around 5 pm ).
Then if you want to take another train than the TGV, from Paris to Le Mans the journey is around 2 hours long instead of 55 mn with the TGV.
However, I recommend you to take the TER http://www.ter.sncf.com/pays-de-la-loire/ between Angers and Le Mans.
These are very comfortable trains and you can buy your tickets at the station some time before your journey no booking needed
Thank you for the helpful information. Good to know that for routes other than the TGV that I can book in person.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3507034)   #336
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the ter ticket machines are fairly idiot proof even in french as long as you know the basics. you just have to bear in mind that if you want to use notes to pay you need to go to the ticket office and buy from a person. i'm not sure if the machines accept cards without pin numbers either, so there may be an issue using a us credit card.

have to say, they may be on strike more often than they turn up for work, but ter trains are good value for money and unlike the uk system they don't discriminate between travelling during peak and off-peak hours.

if you do use the ter trains then the app is a good one to download. very handy for the schedules, especially if there *is* a strike and the timetable is different.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 18:58 (Ref:3508932)   #337
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
What's the deal with the carting track at the circuit? Can anyone have a go at it? How much does it cost and how much time do you get? Are the lines usually really long? Are there better times to go than others?

#somanyquestions
Old 25 Feb 2015, 19:12 (Ref:3508936)   #338
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not sure the carting track is operational during Le Mans week
Old 25 Feb 2015, 19:40 (Ref:3508949)   #339
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know it was in 2012, where I was camped close to it. But haven't taken the time to find out in the later years.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 13:36 (Ref:3509267)   #340
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was loads on the karting track last year - relentless.
My one comment was it looked like the karting might have been hospitality or team based due to matching outfits (on and off track) - unless the karting circuit is sponsored (eg by Oreca? - just a guess and frankly I can't remember the details)
There is a nice viewing spot on top of karting circuit garages which looks over Corvette Corner and last year when safety car was out action on the kart circuit provided some good entertainment simply by turning around!

PS: Its an epic track - would love to have a go sometime...
Old 28 Feb 2015, 19:29 (Ref:3510110)   #341
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
First thing - you cannot buy more than 90 days in advance - the website should have told you that much.

For buying in advance from the US and to avoid Rail Europe, this may be your answer.

https://loco2.com/

Best price is available at 90 days in advance. In the past I have bought at 1 minute past midnight French time to get the best price.

Paris to Le Mans 90 ish days from now is showing at $24.
Beware tho, this a non refund/exchange ticket. Miss the train - ticket is worthless.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 12:13 (Ref:3511116)   #342
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

My son and I got caught up in the strike as well last year. Were supposed to take the train from Le Mans to Stuttgart via Paris after the race. Ended up keeping the rental car, drove back to Paris and flew home instead. Did get a refund though. They initially said I need to go to the train station to validate the strike. Had the credit card company fight it out with Rail Europe.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 12:20 (Ref:3511117)   #343
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The terminus is about 10 minutes walk from the Dunlop bridge. When going back into town at busy times then I would go to the terminus as the trams can be rammed by the time they leave making it difficult to get on at Tetre Rouge.
You can get to tete rouge (inside corner) in 10 minutes as well from the terminus. Also, there are a couple of new restaraunts - KFC and an Italian - right on the Mulsanne straight and no more than 5 to 10 minute walk.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 18:44 (Ref:3517178)   #344
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Today and tomorrow in America are days where not a whole lot of work gets done. See it's the first two days of the NCAA "March Madness" college basketball tournament. As an American it is my duty to bring my little portable television (no more than a 4" diagonal screen) and sit it on my desk while I am supposed to be working. I'm able to pick the station up with the antennae on the TV.

This got me to thinking...

Does anyone know how the race is broadcast locally during the 24 hours? Could someone with a small portable television pickup the broadcast with an antennae?

Old 19 Mar 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3517200)   #345
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
There are often TV's showing the race in our campsite but no sure how they are getting the pictures but i think they are satelite rather than areal, but know the lot you are camping with they may well have sorted tv out already
Old 20 Mar 2015, 10:42 (Ref:3517396)   #346
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
There are often TV's showing the race in our campsite but no sure how they are getting the pictures but i think they are satelite rather than areal, but know the lot you are camping with they may well have sorted tv out already
Indeed they must all be satellite. I often see guys looking towards the heavens pointing old sky dishes. Unless you know what you are doing an almost impossible task.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 14:14 (Ref:3517440)   #347
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
We have a local TV dealer come and install a satellite dish and connect it to our large TV screen.
The race is broadcast on Eurosport, which is a premium channel in France, but our dealer sorts all that out for us.
We've had that arrangement since we started on Houx more years ago than I can remember, but it is perfectly possible to set up your own dish, if you have the right UK box and aerial.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 14:54 (Ref:3517450)   #348
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i know this is true for the other end of france where it's warm, not sure about round le mans, but if you want to pick up the uk sky service and the free channels down there now you have to have a monster dish. as a result our gaff looks like a spy hideout, i'm surprised the russians haven't sent a plane over to have a look.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 18:06 (Ref:3517492)   #349
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i know this is true for the other end of france where it's warm, not sure about round le mans, but if you want to pick up the uk sky service and the free channels down there now you have to have a monster dish. as a result our gaff looks like a spy hideout, i'm surprised the russians haven't sent a plane over to have a look.
No that doesn't apply in Le Mans, in fact it doesn't apply to Sky subscribers at all and you'll need a subscription to watch Eurosport.

It's people located in the south of France using a Sky box without a subscription to pick up BBC and ITV signals who were expected to experience a drop-off in signal. In fact friends of mine living near Nice have found very little drop-off in signal with a normal 60cm dish.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 05:29 (Ref:3518506)   #350
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Luckily we have a couple of techies in our group who bring a dish and a TV and seem to be able to get the race pictures pretty easily.
Closed Thread