Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Apr 2009, 16:18 (Ref:2452995)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington postponed

http://www.crash.net/btcc/news/14615...to_follow.html
Old 30 Apr 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2453004)   #2
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't say I'm surprised to be honest, the rumours have been going round for a while now, and we all know how many problems they've been having.

Gutted though, it's one of my favourite circuits and I was looking forward to seeing what they're doing with the place.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2453011)   #3
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am wondering if the circuit will host any motorsport events this year after 10th May.

If DVLL go into bankruptcy and the lease reverts to Uncle Tom, poor Tom will be left with having to spend a fortune just to get the circuit usable again.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2453018)   #4
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Not only have they messed up, but they've scr*wed the BTCC over. Why couldn't they admit the problems and give time to organise an alternate venue?

Silverstone is not listing an event, is it feasible to switch to there?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 16:57 (Ref:2453023)   #5
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What make you think that the 10th of May will go?

BARC are holding a club meeting at Silverstone the same week end as the Donington meeting was supposed to have gone.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2453032)   #6
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was scheduled for the 17th, not the 10th. Silverstone and Rockingham are both available that weekend so they could switch to either of those. Hopefully when the official announcement comes out we will find out more.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2453033)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Hold your horses just a second.

BARC sent an email to all marshals and Gow sent an email to all teams saying Donington was cancelled, however I understand that since then TOCA have send out a second email saying that is offically NOT cancelled, at least not until Donington say it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Silverstone is not listing an event, is it feasible to switch to there?
There is a BARC meeting there that weekend.

Here's a wild theory for you. 750MC have recently decided to move their Sept 19/20th meeting from Donington to Snetterton, not because they think Donington won't be ready but because due to their low position in the pecking order they feel they will end up getting bumped if/when the bigger meetings start wanting different dates. That weekend BTCC are supposed to be at Rockingham, so how about a straight swap - run the Rockingham BTCC meeting in May and postpone the Donington meeting until Sept. The teams still have issues with hotels but it's a lot easier on TV coverage to switch dates rather than trying to shoehorn another meeting into what will become a very crowded calendar.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2453113)   #8
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So it's back on now...
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2453123)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I notice that BTCC.net have relisted news today with details for Donington, maybe to scotch rumours like these?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2453125)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
So it's back on now...
Yes, unless Donington themselves say otherwise.

Reading between the lines a little my guess is that TOCA have a contract with Donington and until such time as Donington say they are unable to hold the meeting TOCA can not cancel without breaking that contract. Donington are still staying the work will be done and the circuit will be licensed in time. Even though no-one else believes that I suspect there is little TOCA can do at this stage. Complete madness.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2453135)   #11
Winchester
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hinckley, Leics - near Mallory Park
Winchester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there's this much conjecture over the BTCC meeting, regardless of whether it happens, God help the British GP...
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2453136)   #12
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan gow and Toca are now saying the meeting was never off,
it was always going ahead.

See www.crash.net
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:33 (Ref:2453141)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 455 View Post
Alan gow and Toca are now saying the meeting was never off,
it was always going ahead.
Oh come on! So TOCA sent out an email to all teams saying the meeting was cancelled on the basis of a rumour and without confirming with Donington first?

Is this spin doctoring or just incompetence?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2453144)   #14
Dave 455
Racer

It is down to legal issues and possible court cases between DVLL and Toca but at the minute it's back on.
All teams, all drivers and all marshalls were informed this afternnon it was cancelled.
Then tonight all drivers and teams were informed it's back on, but no marshals.

Ginetta teas now told it's on again (for now) : -

http://www.yourracingcar.com/yrc-new...6faf65e659bb6c.

Also Donigton saying the circuit will be fit for bikes (if not cars) by 21st May, this only a day before the BSB round is happening.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2453149)   #15
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Oh come on! So TOCA sent out an email to all teams saying the meeting was cancelled on the basis of a rumour and without confirming with Donington first?

Is this spin doctoring or just incompetence?

Coming from the man supposedly in charge of our National Sporting Body !!
Old 30 Apr 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2453177)   #16
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been told this afternoon that BTCC teams have been contacted(not through the media) & told the meeting is now cancelled
Old 30 Apr 2009, 20:10 (Ref:2453184)   #17
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
I've been told this afternoon that BTCC teams have been contacted(not through the media) & told the meeting is now cancelled
They were, but they've now been told it's on again, and that the first round of contact was just a dream...
Old 30 Apr 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2453208)   #18
Dave 455
Racer

Even though Alan Gow Sent it
Old 30 Apr 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2453216)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
They were, but they've now been told it's on again, and that the first round of contact was just a dream...

Spot the difference..
Attached Thumbnails
alan gow.jpg   mib.jpg  
Old 30 Apr 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2453221)   #20
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 455 View Post
Even though Alan Gow Sent it
Surely that's just a rumour!
Old 30 Apr 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2453244)   #21
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From his forum:

"There was considerable concern earlier today that our event may need to be postponed.

However, that is now not the case.

The senior management at Donington Park have informed me that the prospect of postponing the event has now passed and that they are fully confident that the work required for their track licence will be completed in time for our event (and for the event on the weekend preceding ours).

A huge amount of effort is being expended at Donington Park to get the work completed and, in fact, they have now increased and accelerated this effort even further to ensure our event takes place - and I am also very confident that this will be achieved."