Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Sep 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2756244)   #1
Roths
Rookie

Roths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No further punishment for Ferrari

Well i'm gobsmacked!! What do you guys think??
Old 8 Sep 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2756248)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Finally some sense.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2756249)   #3
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roths View Post
Well i'm gobsmacked!! What do you guys think??
On the face of it an utterly perverse decision but I will reserve judgement until the full details of the decision an the reasoning behind it emerge.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2756252)   #4
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only ruling that made sense. The FIA would have shot themselves in the foot if they withdrew points from Ferrari, cause then Ferrari would have been forced to file a complaint to the french courts about team orders in other seasons too, for example the season that Hamilton won. It would be a farse, ending up with the french courts taking away WDCs from drivers and awarding them to other drivers. Now its time to get rid of this ridiulous rule once and for all
Old 8 Sep 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2756255)   #5
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this fact or speculation, I can't see any references elsewhere?
Old 8 Sep 2010, 16:39 (Ref:2756258)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/09/0...x-team-orders/

Oh dear

Selby
Old 8 Sep 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2756259)   #7
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty much a fact
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86478
Old 8 Sep 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2756261)   #8
Roths
Rookie

Roths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Chris View Post
Is this fact or speculation, I can't see any references elsewhere?
Its a fact, press release has been doing the rounds. Sorry for "firther" spelling mistake, couldnt change but maybe the MODs can do it for me
Old 8 Sep 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2756268)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
actually happy with the result.
still to early to know how they came to this decision but some very early and brief speculation on the thinking from adam cooper.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2756270)   #10
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
I didnt expect much to come from todays hearing but hopefully when the season ends the FIA sees the sense in removing this rule, seeing as they clearly do not want to police it
Old 8 Sep 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2756295)   #11
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
The right decision would've been to rescind the initial punishment and repeal the rule completely, but I'll settle for this.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2756310)   #12
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm confused!

If Ferrari's defence was simply that Massa himself decided to let Alonso by then why were they fined $100,000 in the first place. If the FIA have accepted this argument then why don't they give Ferrari the money back?
Old 8 Sep 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2756316)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
why would they ever give the money back?...my guess is that $100,000.00 is barely enough to subsidize the cost of holding a FIA world council meeting.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2756329)   #14
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're right of course!

But humour me a bit longer.If Ferrari believe they've done nothing wrong and the FIA have apparently accepted that, then what's the $100,000 fine for?

The way the case reads now, Ferrari have been fined $100k because Massa let Alonso pass when he shouldn't have done! So it's Massa's fault then!
Old 8 Sep 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2756349)   #15
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
You're right of course!

But humour me a bit longer.If Ferrari believe they've done nothing wrong and the FIA have apparently accepted that, then what's the $100,000 fine for?

The way the case reads now, Ferrari have been fined $100k because Massa let Alonso pass when he shouldn't have done! So it's Massa's fault then!
Which is exactly why I described the decision as perverse however I suspect the meeting didn't even consider the possibility of returning the fine, in fact there is probably no process for doing so except by hearing an appeal from Ferrari, they didn't appeal the fine within the time limit required so it won't be repaid.

Having said that the suggestion that Massa was simply being apprised of the situation and he made his own decision to let Alonso past is the kind of lawyers fiction that gives lawyers a bad name.

The whole thing is a fudge based on the fact that so many lies have been told in the past that no one dare risk the truth coming out now.

If the FAI can't or won't enforce the rule then they need to ditch it as having rules that everyone agrees to ignore damages the credibility of the rest of the sporting regulations and prejudices discipline generally.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2756351)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An insult to the public. We have been robbed. What little shred of integrity left in the 'sport' we love died today, along with the last vestige of respectability.

What is that? Why I do believe I can feel Enzo spinning in his grave!

Nah, finally, common sense. Now let's be rid of the rule and let the teams be run how the managers see fit.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 19:47 (Ref:2756361)   #17
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
If the FAI can't or won't enforce the rule then they need to ditch it as having rules that everyone agrees to ignore damages the credibility of the rest of the sporting regulations and prejudices discipline generally.
What has the Football Association of Ireland got to do with it?
Old 8 Sep 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2756367)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
If I'm to say what I think, the decision was wholly to be expected.

Team orders are a reality. The best the FIA can do is devise a method by which they are not immediately apparent to the general public.

For example, in my book Kimi was not handed the 2007 title as a result of Ferrari's pit stop strategy, but that's the general perception. At the very best that's how it should be. With an element of doubt. Nothing obvious.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 20:07 (Ref:2756373)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'm glad that's over! Now we can look forward to some real racing for the rest of the season......well, something that looks like real racing, even if it's not actually real racing.

I do hope that Fernando wins the WDC now.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2756385)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good decision. Get rid of the rule.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2756391)   #21
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no surprise on that decision.

so if Ferrari are not guilty of team orders.
Then Massa is guilty of bringing the sport in to disrepute.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2756396)   #22
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Typical Ferrari. The smug team get away with it again.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2756401)   #23
BMW_F1
Rookie

United States
New York City
BMW_F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Finally some sense.
+1
Old 8 Sep 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2756407)   #24
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The most painful part is that Teflonso now has 7 points more than he deserves. If he wins the championship by 7 points or less, it will be a travesty. A most unsatisfactory conclusion to the best season in a long long time.

If a driver can't beat all of the drivers in the championship without being given points by another driver, he is not a worthy champion.

Ferrari International Aid is alive and well and living in Paris.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2756410)   #25
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Typical fudge...either have the rule and enforce it, or don't have it.....

From a racing point of view I abhore team orders, but realistically if sensibly/cleverly applied it would be virtually impossible to prove (coded messages, anyone?) so I suppose we have to live with them....and judge those who gain as a result of them accordingly, in terms of how much real ability they have, as opposed to having results gifted to them. If Alonso were somehow to fluke a WDC this year I would regard it as unearned......