Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Jul 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2917568)   #1
car35
Rookie

United Kingdom
east anglia
car35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heritage GTCC - Brands 17th July - 75 mins racing

Looking forward to a 45 minute and 30 minute race at Brands in a couple of weeks and hoping my car troubles are over so I can have some fun with Joss and John Wilson and anyone else who comes along come to that.

Its amazing how much trouble a vibration can cause. Replaced prop now which seems to have been the cause and now all the gaskets have been replaced surely we are sorted......or am I talking this one up!
Old 4 Jul 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2917763)   #2
jacobyte
Rookie

United Kingdom
jacobyte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, well done in Race 1 at Donington, and I'm glad to hear your Race 2 gasket woes are now sorted.

Unfortunately I can't make Brands in July, but will possibly do the August one (although that clashes with a big family do, so might have to miss that one, too).

In the meantime I'm planning how I can add less weight everywhere, as Donny's weighbridge put my car at 1425Kg.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2917818)   #3
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Breaks my heart in not having either of my cars out at Brands. The 40s engine has been on the dyno and apparently runs well on six cylinders !!!!! and the Porsches engine, following its blow up at Snetterton, is still undergoing its upgrades and rebuild.

Well done John for a win and finally getting those vibrations sorted.

Jacobyte ..... As for that Shelby Cobra...... don,t you dare spoil its road going capabilities and looks but if you just rip out all the interior, passenger seat, CD player, glass windows, etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Um, difficult decision.

GT.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 11:36 (Ref:2917855)   #4
jacobyte
Rookie

United Kingdom
jacobyte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CD player? It's a tape player (I'm surprised it didn't come with an 8-track)!

The weight is an issue - even with 515bhp I was being outdragged by the lower powered but lightweight Aston DB4s (although I could get past them on the brakes into Redgate/OldHairpin/Esses).

I absolutely intend to keep its roadgoing looks/feel, but fitting proper side-exit pipes will reduce its weight (the massive rear silencer can then be removed), together with the steel heatshields under the the back end - that lot is well over 50Kg.

6 cylinders is better than none - might you have her ready for August? If not, then Oulton in October?
Old 4 Jul 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2917922)   #5
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
James,

Yes, i remember now that it is a tape player.
That weight saving on the exhausts will make a big difference but hope sidewinders don,t give you db testing problems as some of the Cobras have. Putting two specially made silencers on to the Porsche certainly gets me through db testing now but must have put 50 kgs ON the rear end. Like driving a pendulum !!!!!!

You certainly are having to pull around a lot of weight compared to a majority of the other competitors, and all credit to you for achieving what you have already, as well as having the balls to race such a car.

You are correct that six cylinders are better than none, but after nearly two years with this engine builder, a thousand prompts to finish it, and much money spent, i did expect all eight to be on song. Why, oh why, i did not rebuild this myself as i usually do, i shall never know. At this rate i doubt i,m going to be out again this season but will be coming to Brands for both events to give support, so hopefully will meet up again if you are able to get there.

GT
Old 8 Jul 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2923646)   #6
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by car35 View Post
Looking forward to a 45 minute and 30 minute race at Brands in a couple of weeks and hoping my car troubles are over so I can have some fun with Joss and John Wilson and anyone else who comes along come to that.

Its amazing how much trouble a vibration can cause. Replaced prop now which seems to have been the cause and now all the gaskets have been replaced surely we are sorted......or am I talking this one up!

See you there Jon, we have not used the Aston since the 6hr at snett, we will be servicing it tommorrow and hopefully all will be ok.