Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 21 Mar 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1873371)   #1
stuartscott
Rookie

United Kingdom
waresley, sandy,beds
stuartscott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
20 most important people in national racing

I was dismayed that in motorsport news today (21 March) that there was no mention of James Tucker (eerc) in the poll of the 20 most important people in national racing. The main question asked to get the results for the poll was "what would be lost in national racing if these people weren't around". If there was no James Tucker, there would be no eerc and also no 24 hour British race other than for 2cv's! Most of those in the top 20 have nothing to do with national racing in the UK unless I am very much mistaken. Come on motorsport news give credit where it is due and James and his team must be some of the hardest workers out there promoting national motorsport in the UK.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1873444)   #2
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I second that!
Old 22 Mar 2007, 06:41 (Ref:1873562)   #3
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps that's why I stopped buying Motorsport News, because it had lost touch with the real roots of motorsport in the UK.

Thoroughly agree about James.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 09:13 (Ref:1873631)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How can you agree about James Tucker's non-inclusion when you presumably haven't seen those that are included?

All such lists are subjective, but I would say that all of the people listed are pretty darn important.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 09:35 (Ref:1873643)   #5
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who else was on the list?
Old 22 Mar 2007, 10:15 (Ref:1873660)   #6
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree about James (although I find him rather difficult to deal with - I guess he's...very focused!). And James Beckett for WHT, etc. There's at least one on the list who's a useless ****
Old 22 Mar 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1873912)   #7
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Palmer, Symes, Gow, Dutton (Fortec boss), John Booth...more too but not got MN in front of me. Mixtures of organisers etc and team bosses.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1873929)   #8
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypipe
Who else was on the list?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Palmer, Symes, Gow, Dutton (Fortec boss), John Booth...more too but not got MN in front of me. Mixtures of organisers etc and team bosses.
They were:
1. Jonathan Palmer
2. Alan Gow
3. Dannis Carter (BARC)
4. Stephane Ratel (SRO)
5. Tim Jackson (Renault UK)
6. Stuart Rolt (BRDC)
7. Scott Dennis (SEAT UK)
8. Robin Knight (750MC)
9. Richard Dutton
10. Graham Stoker (MSA and FIA World Council)
11. Colin Hilton (MSA)
12. Lord March
13. Lawrence Tomlinson (LNT and Ginetta)
14. Chris Sharples (HSCC)
15. John Booth
16. Peter Walker (BMW UK)
17. John Symes
18. Iain Brown (BRSCC)
19. Magnus Laird (Caterham)
20. Sam Roach (Racing Line)
Old 22 Mar 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1873935)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's one of those lists where everone probably has a differing opinion depending on what side of the fence you sit on.

For instance if you have Richard Dutton and John Booth, why isn't Trevor Carlin in there?

Theres a few MSA people there but nobody representing the marshals.

The BRSCC also seem to be along way down the list.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1873958)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
It's one of those lists where everone probably has a differing opinion depending on what side of the fence you sit on.
That's true - I hate endurance 'racing', so guess who wouldn't be on my list!

Quote:
Theres a few MSA people there but nobody representing the marshals.
In fairness, they did say in the introduction that 'the most important group of people in motorsport, for example are (sic) the volunteers at all levels....& the list did follow a four-page 'marshals special'.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 20:44 (Ref:1873984)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well said Dave, I was just going to make the same point.

The list will always be subjective depending on your perticular bent in motorsport. Overall though it looks to be a pretty representative list from where I sit. BARC are in the top 3 where I think they should be and Lord March is also in there.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 05:49 (Ref:1874210)   #12
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
How can you agree about James Tucker's non-inclusion when you presumably haven't seen those that are included?

All such lists are subjective, but I would say that all of the people listed are pretty darn important.
Quite simply.

James, by way of forming the EERC, bringing 24hr racing back to this country in something other than a 2CV, as well as the many things that the EERC has achieved since it's inception. Seeing the list now, I'd say that he should be on there in preference to the likes of Stephane Ratel, who has turned British GT in to a farce (unless you run a Porsche), and let's face it, the British GT championship is hardly "National Racing", it's a major international level championship. To me "National Racing" is "Club Racing", and I exclude the top flight championships, like BGT, BF3, and BTCC from it.

The problem with any top20/30/40 list is that there is never really room for everyone that "should" be on it. If you were to say "Top 20 list of most important people in National Motorsport excluding manufacturers representatives who are only really interested in promoting their own brand and don't give a stuff about anybody else", then that list would have a lot of different names on it.

And yes, the chairman of the BMMRC should be on it, as without Marshal's, we wouldn't be out there going roundy roundy roundy.

Perhaps next week they can do the "Top 20 People who should have been on last week's list but didn't make it because there wasn't space"
Old 23 Mar 2007, 08:44 (Ref:1874303)   #13
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
bringing 24hr racing back to this country in something other than a 2CV
Good point; someone from the 2CV Racing Club should be on there for carrying the batton of endurance racing when no-one else could be bothered
Old 23 Mar 2007, 09:36 (Ref:1874342)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Has this been ratified by parliament yet?

The list is 20 long, not everyone can be on this. They obviously wanted to get a mix of circuits, series, teams, etc... on their. Which thus limits the potential for any category.

Non-inclusion does not mean unimportance at all. These lists can only ever be discussion points because, as Ian says, they are subjective. Now if it was a list of inside leg measurements then that could be an absolute list. I wouldn't be too dismayed about this, it isn't that important - it isn't like it is Top 100 funniest TV moments is it? Where is Del Boy falling over on that list?

Generally the list is broadly correct. IMHO. Although I have no direct involvement with any, I am effected by their efforts.
Old 24 Mar 2007, 02:44 (Ref:1874905)   #15
alfaman
Racer

Mauritius
Middlesex
alfaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And where's Howard Strawford?? He's done a fair bit for national/club racing - particularly for those in SW England....
Old 24 Mar 2007, 10:57 (Ref:1874996)   #16
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
In fairness, they did say in the introduction that 'the most important group of people in motorsport, for example are (sic) the volunteers at all levels....& the list did follow a four-page 'marshals special'.
Serves me right for not reading the intro
Old 24 Mar 2007, 13:46 (Ref:1875050)   #17
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hang on guys - it's an off-season filler not a reasoned and logically backed assessment on which anything depended.

True that that James has been left out. Whether or not that was right depends on whether you support long distance club racing. Personally I'm with Dave Brand on this. James is a great promoter and deserves success - but I won't normally be found at his meetings. (Or, heaven help me, 2CV or Uniroyal.)

Regards

Jim
Old 24 Mar 2007, 19:45 (Ref:1875186)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand

As my mug-shot was on the previous page, does that make me more "Important" than Dr JP?
Old 24 Mar 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1875297)   #19
ChironWSC
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcester UK
ChironWSC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The top 20 most important people in motorsport but they are not much good with out the race car manufacturers. Why no mention of Lola or Radical people etc?
And I total agree re James, must say I was not sure about him to start with but now having raced in his championships for 3 years I have allot of respect for him.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 18:56 (Ref:1876028)   #20
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
As my mug-shot was on the previous page, does that make me more "Important" than Dr JP?
No........
Old 1 Apr 2007, 23:17 (Ref:1881618)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes - Lord March - yes goodwood accounts for a few events but how mouch importance does he really have beyond the historics? even then Duncan Rabagliati or the chair of CSCC does more. James Tucker / Beckett are far more important to the sport too....

Boo
Old 6 Apr 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1884732)   #22
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Yes - Lord March - yes goodwood accounts for a few events but how mouch importance does he really have beyond the historics? even then Duncan Rabagliati or the chair of CSCC does more. James Tucker / Beckett are far more important to the sport too....

Boo
Gosh - now I'm blushing... especially to be in the same sentence as Duncan - I will mention his fame when I see him at Mallory on Monday!